Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear end feels 'loose'

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Question Rear end feels 'loose'

i'll be the first to admit i don't know much about suspensions, so i'll see what you all think . for a while now, it kind of feels like my rear end is 'jumpy' or 'loose'; driving down a relatively 'flat' road can, at times, feels like i'm driving during an earthquake. if i hit a minor 'bump' or something, it feels like my rear end jumps either to the left or the right. i never lose traction or anything, but there is enough of a jump that it makes me think something isn't right.

i've got an 05 gt with ~24k miles, and the only 'upgrades' i've made to the suspension so far are bmr lca's (they probably have around 10-12k miles on them and are greased ~ every 3000k miles). i checked the bushings on the lca's to make sure they weren't busted, and they appear fine. i also looked underneath to see if there were any cracks, broken bushings, etc. on any of the oem parts, and i didn't notice anything (but like i said, i'm not an expert on this).

so, i guess i'd like to know if anyone knows of something specific to look for for a problem like this, if it could by my shocks going out, or if there are any parts i could upgrade to that might help solve an issue like this.

thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Classic, time to upgrade the shocks...
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The panhard bar ends that are not seen until removed...
You cant check them visually on the vehicle (there
is a plastic cover over one end...).
Replace them with PolyBushings FTW.
The Panhard keeps the rear end centered...
Old 11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
i knew you'd have an answer (and i'm glad you did ). the shocks were my first guess, but i was hoping they weren't 'bad' since they have a fairly low amount of miles on them... but they are at least 5 years old and i'm not really sure how much of a factor an age like 5 years could be on something like shocks. do you have any personal recommendations/suggestions on which brand of shock would work best for a daily driver; i don't do any kinds of racing or anything

Originally Posted by 157dB
The panhard bar ends that are not seen until removed...
You cant check them visually on the vehicle (there
is a plastic cover over one end...).
Replace them with PolyBushings FTW.
if this could be the case, do you think it is something an amateur like me could do, or should i take it to a shop?

Last edited by Xeno; 11-05-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Lorenzo

If not the shocks, maybe the alignment. I wish I can help more.

Last edited by Lorenzo; 11-05-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:20 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
it kind of feels like my rear end is 'jumpy' or 'loose'; driving down a relatively 'flat' road can, at times, feels like i'm driving during an earthquake. if i hit a minor 'bump' or something, it feels like my rear end jumps either to the left or the right. i never lose traction or anything, but there is enough of a jump that it makes me think something isn't right.

thanks
This sounds like how my stock suspension on my 2007 GT500 behaved before I installed FRPP lowering springs on it. It rides a bit stiffer now like it should, but still comfortable and looks way better. Now it feels much more controlled when I hit a bump in the road.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Xeno
i knew you'd have an answer (and i'm glad you did ). the shocks were my first guess, but i was hoping they weren't 'bad' since they have a fairly low amount of miles on them... but they are at least 5 years old and i'm not really sure how much of a factor an age like 5 years could be on something like shocks. do you have any personal recommendations/suggestions on which brand of shock would work best for a daily driver; i don't do any kinds of racing or anything

if this could be the case, do you think it is something an amateur like me could do, or should i take it to a shop?
I amateured mine out and removed the carrpy OEM rubbers
and easily replaced them with Prothane Poly bushings available
at www.mossmuscle.com - search 'prothane'. In the driveway
with no jack none the less. Just remember to do the final tightening
of the fastners at suspension ride height and not suspension fully
extended up on a jack...
Its a real cheap upgrade and keeps the rear end centered nicely.

055-102 $16.00 Prothane Bushings - Rear Tacking Arm

And cheap to boot...

Last edited by 157dB; 11-06-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

^^ awesome! thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Dont just stop there, prothane the carp out of your stang.
You will be glad you did.
Front the front/rear sway bar bushings to the motor mounts to the
shifter bushings, its all good (and a cheap upgrade you do at home).
Old 11-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not that Sam needs me backing him up, but this is the right thing. I called Sam up a while ago with the same concerns. I thought something like a Watts Link ($650 part) that kept the axle from shifting while it moved was the way to go. He suggested a pair of Koni STR.Ts ($150) instead. I couldn't have been happier with the results. Before I even got the car out of the driveway I could feel the difference. I don't have that skittish jumpy side to side kick feeling any more, and the car feels much more composed at all times now.

Quick Reply: Rear end feels 'loose'