Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Building A Boss 302 LS Beater

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Building A Boss 302 LS Beater

I was pondering what the minimum amount it would take to modify a stock 2011 GT so that it would run faster lap times than a Boss 302 LS. This of course assumes it is on the same track on the same day with drivers of equal skill.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Not sure. As far as the regular Boss, I think all I need is the new rear swaybar and Brembos, as I already have springs and adjustable shocks. Course you said I was slower than the '06. Boo hoo.
As far as the LS, you should already be there or better.

Cheers.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

nemosgt

I figure that my car would be as fast as a Boss 302 LS, especially as mine has about the same HP and I'm running r-comps.

Now all we need is for one to show up at TMP or Mosport and we'll have some fun.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM
mikelane

I have a 2012 gt arriving next month, and want to upgrade suspension to rival ls and boss. What do you guys recommend if I would be using as almost daily driver, but have another car for kid hauling. I am coming from a 97 993 porsche, and was torn between the stang and picking up a 2002 -2004 porsche 911 turbo for 50k. Can I make my stang handle as well as the 996 porsche turbo. I will be doing some track events at Oregon Raceway Park where my most of the guys I go down with are porsche guys.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i don't think it would take much. according to insideline.com it is 2 secs/lap faster then a stock gt at the Streets of Willows Springs.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/musta...shoot-out.html

i'm personally not that impressed with it (for the money). i'd more impressed if there were some weight-saving measures taken (i.e. equipment delete); at least as a no-cost factory option.

especially since they put the "laguna seca" at the end of the name. a fat boss 302? ok, no biggie. but put the LS at the end and it's now a track car... drop some weight!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikelane
I have a 2012 gt arriving next month, and want to upgrade suspension to rival ls and boss. What do you guys recommend if I would be using as almost daily driver, but have another car for kid hauling. I am coming from a 97 993 Porsche, and was torn between the stang and picking up a 2002 -2004 Porsche 911 turbo for 50k. Can I make my stang handle as well as the 996 Porsche turbo. I will be doing some track events at Oregon Raceway Park where my most of the guys I go down with are Porsche guys.
If I was doing it again it with a 2012 I would start with the Brembo brake option and then;
1) springs per Sam Strano's recommendation
2) Steeda HD strut mounts - plus whatever it takes to get them and the springs to fit a 2012 and set the camber at the maximum
3) Koni Sports/Yellows adjustable shocks
4) UMI poly/rod LCAs
5) ATE or Motul DOT 4 brake fluid
6) brake pads to suit your driving style on the track
7) if track is tight and hard on brakes then front brake cooling
8) FAYS2 Watt's link
9) CG Lock help hold me in those leather seats (my present car has cloth seats)
10) 18 x 9.5 x 35 mm offset Enkei PF01 rims with 275/35/18 or 275/40/18 Nitto NT01s depending on the top speed at the track.

Of course another Roushcharger would be really tempting at 525 HP + 465 FT/LB with a 3 year warranty

Then you can go out and embarrass a few Porsche owners
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Yep, those Enkei's only weight about 20 lbs, good man, Erik
Old 04-03-2011, 03:08 PM
mikelane

Sleeper
I have the brembo pkg. What do you think your shopping list (excluding roushcharger)would cost including labour? Just a rough figure of course, and do you think with the stock motor plus new exhaust and tune would the stang be as good a handler as a 996 turbo with pss9s? What is the cost of the roushcharger? Would the roushcharger make the stang a notch better than the 996 turbo?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

What's attractive to me about the Boss is the high-reving, forged engine. 444 NA horsepower that will spin reliably at 7500RPM is dang cool. But other than that in terms of capabilities its just modded mustang, not much different than many around here...albeit an exclusive one that someday might be a collector item.

Regarding comparison to a 911 - throw enough money at it and you can make any car fast but it will never handle like a Porsche. The Mustang handles very well but its fundamentally different. The 911 is a full 12 in shorter wheelbase with much quicker steering and telepathic feel. The rear engine allows it to put power down sooner and get out of corners quicker. Sure, you can outpower some of the older 911s and turn quicker lap times but no way no how will the Stang ever out handle a properly set up one with equivalent tires, springs and dampers. If you guys are out there passing 996s and 997s its because you are either better drivers or you have a lot more horsepower.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
mikelane

Thanks Argonaut. Thats the type of feedback I was looking for. Not sure if I made the right decision or not 2012 mustang modded or .....03 996 turbo with pss9s for 50k. Yikes! I want a de track car and almost daily driver.

Quick Reply: Building A Boss 302 LS Beater