Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rotors--NTO or parts store new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Swoope

Originally Posted by DPE
MAM does not require a fire extinguisher for Fast Fridays and Find The Line doesn't either. At least not for street cars. Just have your car ready and your SA2005+ helmet and you'll be set. Oh, and the usual overabundance of tools and spare things that take up room and you'll never actually use. At least that's how I pack for the track .

On brake cooling, there are tons of options for cooling kits, but very few options for hooking said cooling kits up seamlessly. I couldn't bear the thought of hacking up the front end of a car with 1200 miles on it that's primarily a street car, so I wanted a nicely integrated solution for not too much money. Boss/CS airdam plus whatever cooling kit was the only way to accomplish that at the moment that I'm aware of. No doubt more and cheaper options will show up in time.
phill,

do you think just the standard brake package would be fine for us more 9/10ths guys? this opens up lots of wheel options i have laying around the garage!!!

btw, my rx8 might be doing its last event in a couple of weeks at roebling road.

beers :beer:
Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Agreed, the car is a blast on track. I was truly surprised how good it is out of the box. And I only have 4.6 liters. The 5.0 can only be better.

Swoope, enjoy your final track day in the RX-8 . I think the standard brakes on the 5.0 are up from 12.5" (as on mine) to 13.2" rotors up front. I had assumed that the 12.5" rotors on mine would just not be big enough. However, with the right pads and fluid and proper cooling they actually worked quite well, and the pedal feel was even good and solid. Not RX-8 solid, but not bad at all. Heel-toe was easy to accomplish. The caveat to that would be that I've only done one track day in the car thus far and it was a relatively cool day. Weather permitting I should be back up at Mid America Motorplex near Omaha a week from today, and will likely be picking up the pace a bit. Or at least trying to.

All that to say if you're not a 10+ track day per year kind of fellow and/or you're not going 11/10ths all the time, I wouldn't be afraid to try the 'base' brakes. With proper pads, fluid and cooling. Keep that supply of ex-RX-8 rims usable, and keep your OEM rims at 18" if you want to. The beauty of it is, if you discover after a year of tracking it that you need Brembos, well, for $1200 you can buy the Ford kit and some new wheels and be on your way. You'll have 'lost' nothing, having not paid the $1695 for the Brembo package (I guess you'll be ahead, really, assuming you don't want the 19s that the Brembo package comes with).

I'm pretty confident I'll end up with Brembos eventually, just because I believe that as my confidence increases and I get stickier tires and better suspension I'll be going faster and probably desire to have more longevity out of rotors and calipers and such. But I don't think it'll be 'required', and who knows, maybe I'll save my money and in a couple years upgrade to a 5.0 myself.