Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

summer tire restriction question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM
monovitae

Default summer tire restriction question?

Hey all I have a question in regard to the disclaimer associated with summer
performance tires which roughly reads, " it is not intended to be driven
in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

My question is what exactly constitutes 'near-freezing temperatures'? I am
concerned because I need a new set of tires for my mostly stock(CAI + tune)06 GT
Coupe. I am moving to Seattle in two weeks and from the historical weather data
it looks like, the average temperature in Winter is about 45 degrees, and that
there are only 20 days a year below freezing.

Is this cold enough weather that I have to exclude summer performance tires?
Ideally I would like to purchase one set for year round use(cost isn't really an
issue, I just don't want to bother switching them out unless there's a compelling
reason, I will if I have to). Also as far as criteria go given that there are
roughly 150 days a year of rain wet weather performance is a must. This vehicle
is a daily driver, with often spirited driving. I like to get out on the twisty
highways as well.

As far as summer performance tires go I've been hearing good things about NT05,
NT555s, and GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3, and the Continental ExtremeContact DW. As
for all-season tires I was leaning toward the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Also not sure if it matters or not but I'm on 18X8 wheels, with 235X50X18's on it. The extremeContact DWS's look like they have an 255X40X18 that fits my wheel, so the added width seems nice.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is any other information
I can provide to help you help me, please let me know.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Mine has a little more HP than stock and this spring we had some cold days after I had the KDW2s put on. Care was required as they felt like I was driving on stones!

If you can afford two sets of tires then go for it.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have a set of the Continentals. Sounds like it would be a good choice for your use. I've used them on a race track in both wet and dry. In the wet they perform well, decent grip, inspire confidence. No fears of rear end coming around. When you loose traction its real slow and prone to understeer, exactly what you want. In the dry I was pulling about 1.2Gs pretty steady. They sqeal like a stuck pig but are very predictable and turn decent lap times, about 4 sec per lap slower than R-comps (Toyo R888) over 1:45 lap. Note they are not a snow tire but should perform well in Seattle as long as you don't plan on heading up skiing on snow packed roads.

Oops, I just noticed you said the Conti DWS. I have the Conti DW Extreme contact. The DWS is indeed ok for use in snow.

Last edited by Argonaut; 05-24-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I have driven on my summer only tires in cold temps. Mostly seems to have lost grip on accel, braking and cornering were still good, but never pushed them to find out that way.

Loved my F1 GS D3's. Handled like it was dry in a downpour on the open track.

Water, what water?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I've driven summer tires in the winter, and even in snow. Just be careful and don't drive like a jackass and you'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by monovitae
Hey all I have a question in regard to the disclaimer associated with summer performance tires which roughly reads, " it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

My question is what exactly constitutes 'near-freezing temperatures'? I am
concerned because I need a new set of tires for my mostly stock(CAI + tune)06 GT Coupe. I am moving to Seattle in two weeks and from the historical weather data it looks like, the average temperature in Winter is about 45 degrees, and that there are only 20 days a year below freezing.

Is this cold enough weather that I have to exclude summer performance tires?
Ideally I would like to purchase one set for year round use(cost isn't really an
issue, I just don't want to bother switching them out unless there's a compelling reason, I will if I have to).
It'll depend somewhat on exactly which tires. I have GY Asymmetrics, and they're noticeably less grippy in temperatures below 45°F or so. Other summer tires could transition at different temperatures, either higher or lower.

Also not sure if it matters or not but I'm on 18X8 wheels, with 235X50X18's on it. The extremeContact DWS's look like they have an 255X40X18 that fits my wheel, so the added width seems nice.
18x8 is enough wheel for 235/50 (although Ford put the OE 235/50's on 18x8.5's).

255/40-18's are at least a whole inch shorter than any of the OE S197 tires, which will open up the fender gap by about another half inch (enough to notice). That size also has no business being mounted on rims only 8" wide except under unusual and temporary situations. Go with a 245/45-18 instead (it's only a quarter inch or so shorter than OE and is OK'ed for fitment to 8" wide wheels).

Norm
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since you're basically stock, why do you feel that you need summer only tires? There are decent tire formulations to be had that'll keep your butt pucker to a minimum in cold weather yet still perform more than well enough for everything besides track and Motor-X.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 PM
monovitae

Thank you all for the kind replies. Norm thanks for the sizing advice. I originally misspoke the 255's were actually 255-45-18. Regardless I went with the OE size of 235-50-18, in the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I will definitely report my findings.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Just for future reference, the Bridgestone RE-11s are great in the wet. I ran 275/40-18s at a rainy autocross recently and grip was awesome. Longitudinal acceleration and deceleration felt very close to the dry. And their dry grip is pretty fantabulous as well.