Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Squeak when accelarating, bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Default Squeak when accelarating, bushings?

So as the title suggests, I have a constant squeak or chirp (sometimes it can turn into a "groan") when accelerating in the car. It seems it doesn't happen when hitting bumps or potholes, but exclusively when applying the right pedal.

I am wondering if it is the bushings on my LCAs(I am not sure if its part of the TSB)? At least it sounds like that. And the weird thing is, the squeak disappears entirely after a car wash for at least 2 days or so. So I was wondering, is there any way I can re-grease these bushings? With silicon or something?

If so, what kind? And should I just remove the bushings entirely and replace them, or is the re-grease or silicon worth a shot?

And how exactly do I remove them? Lol, sorry but I have never really done suspension mods/repair- never on my mustang.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 07-31-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Anyone? Is it something I said?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Bump, for some advice?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I don't think anybody can tell what is causing this squeak without hearing it first hand. I've seen this thread since you started it and still don't know.

Try to narrow it down a little.
What makes you think it's a suspension noise?
Do you know which end of the car is making it?
Can you make it happen by bouncing the corners of the car?

Norm
Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I don't think anybody can tell what is causing this squeak without hearing it first hand. I've seen this thread since you started it and still don't know.

Try to narrow it down a little.
What makes you think it's a suspension noise?
Do you know which end of the car is making it?
Can you make it happen by bouncing the corners of the car?

Norm
Oh I didn't know I wasn't specific enough lol, sorry! Anyway, it doesn't happen when I push on the car or anything, it is the right rear end squeaking usually.

I checked the shocks and it doesn't seem (on cursory glance) that they are blown or anything. But the squeak only occurs upon acceleration. Never during turning or braking.

I don't know for sure its a suspension noise, but it is most prevalent when I accelerate from a stop, and it seems that it is tied to the "rocking" of the cars body during acceleration. I hope that helps a little, I didn't mean to come off as vague.

But I did get some silicon and I am going to try to spray the bushings on my LCAs tomorrow, so I'll see if that has any effect then get back to you guys.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

i have a funny little chirping sound under my rear when i accelerate hard on it. I have UMI lower control arms and UMI adj panhard. I think its my Pype bomb axle backs causing it somehow..I never had the problem when I have the Pype violators on the car. I have been under there 3 times and not one thing is loose and I thought I found the problem it looked like the hanger on the exhaust was like only a few mm away from the hanger bolted on the car. So i figured maybe when everything kinda moved just a tiny bit under hard accel it was causing a vibration on those 2 hangers..I put some fuel line tubing around the hanger on the exhaust to try and isolate the 2 metals touching but that didnt solve my issue..so I am still at a loss as well.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
i have a funny little chirping sound under my rear when i accelerate hard on it. I have UMI lower control arms and UMI adj panhard. I think its my Pype bomb axle backs causing it somehow..I never had the problem when I have the Pype violators on the car. I have been under there 3 times and not one thing is loose and I thought I found the problem it looked like the hanger on the exhaust was like only a few mm away from the hanger bolted on the car. So i figured maybe when everything kinda moved just a tiny bit under hard accel it was causing a vibration on those 2 hangers..I put some fuel line tubing around the hanger on the exhaust to try and isolate the 2 metals touching but that didnt solve my issue..so I am still at a loss as well.
Hmm sounds a lot like what I'm having. It's a audible squeak when accelerating right? Never hear it with the radio on, but when the cabin is totally quiet you can hear it every once in a while when you accelerate (the harder the more likely it will happen)?

Did you grease your bushings on the UMI LCAs? Maybe get under there and give them another squirt of bushing grease (silicon?). Couldn't hurt to try I guess, but I'll let you know this upcoming weekend if that is in fact the cause.

I wouldn't mind the little chirps, but when driving friends/family around in a silent cabin it gets embarrassing lol. I have to start a sudden (loud) conversation every time we leave a stop sign in fear of them hearing that awful squeak LOL.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea they are greased..it never did it before the pype bombs. I use mobil1 grease in them. It is a chirp/rattle sound that sounds like 2 pieces of metal are touching when vibrating. You can hear it with the windows down but not when up. I am not sure if its just cause the exhaust is LOUD and making a right kinda tone to cause something else totally unrelated to my exhaust to rattle making it really hard for me to pinpoint
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Loose clamp or poor fit between pipes?

Norm
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Loose clamp or poor fit between pipes?

Norm
not for mine..everything is tight as can be and doesnt move 1 bit..no leaks anywhere either

another thing I can figure out it wont happen if I am stopped and rev the car..it only does it under load on hard accell.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 08-01-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Squeak when accelarating, bushings?