Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension upgrade advise for 5.0 NEWB

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 PM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

Question Suspension upgrade advise for 5.0 NEWB

Hey,

New to the Mustang world, I use to drive a RX-8, that is until a fox crossed my path and I nailed a tree. It's been two years since I've been on a track but now with the 5.0 i will going at it again.

It is my DD, yes even through the WI winter. I'm looking to upgrade the suspension midway next summer after I have a few track days under my belt. The car will be driven at Road America, Blackhawk Farms, and Autobahn country club, 4-8 track days a season. Just so I can start planning the funds for this I want some advise from Mustang experts on a good set-up for my needs.

Since it will be driven in the winter I think I may need coilovers since i will want to adjust the ride height. Regular springs and shock would give me about a 1 inch drop but during winter I will want to bring back to stock height in order to have more clearence. Based on the need to adjust ride hight what are my options? I've never dealt with coilovers, on my 8 I had the MS suspension, which proved a little to low for winter. I would need a set that are easily adjustable without taking the whole system apart. Would also like adjustability for rebound, compression, corner weight etc... Price permiting, if not than ride height adjustability would be fine as long as the coilovers are good for track use?

Ready to listen
Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

What you just described are KW Variant 3's http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35, Steeda Coil-overs http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35, or Eibach R2's http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35

Both have adjustable dampers. KW's are independently adjustable for compression and rebound each, Steeda's have one adjuster that changes both simultaneously. Also, KW's while adjustable for height are still lower than stock even set at their highest. The Steeda's can be set to a more stock height, and don't go as low. The Eibach's have the greatest range of adjustment, the softest spring rates overall, independently adjustable compression and rebound. But, I tend to prefer the KW valving a little better....

Anyway, as you can see we have options.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Oh, and KW and Eibach use stainless steel bodies, which you'll need since you plan on driving the car through the winter.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Good to see another former RX-8 driver; not sure if you recall DPE or not, but I was a site sponsor on RX8club.com for a couple years. RX-8 parts were half my business . Might be why I went out of business? Not enough RX-8s .

As for your question, don't underestimate just doing shocks without springs for a DD. I have Koni Sports on my 2010 with OEM springs, and it honestly works better than I expected on track (also have Steeda HD mounts to help get a little more negative camber). Which is to say very good. Not saying there aren't benefits from lowering, but there are drawbacks for a daily driven car and the real weak link in the suspension is the shocks. Then you can tweak balance with a set of Sam's swaybars (have not done this yet, but may one day), and have a very decent setup for track use and maintain stock ride-height.

Now if you have the cash, by all means go for the coilovers, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What you just described are KW Variant 3's http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35, Steeda Coil-overs http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35, or Eibach R2's http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35

Both have adjustable dampers. KW's are independently adjustable for compression and rebound each, Steeda's have one adjuster that changes both simultaneously. Also, KW's while adjustable for height are still lower than stock even set at their highest. The Steeda's can be set to a more stock height, and don't go as low. The Eibach's have the greatest range of adjustment, the softest spring rates overall, independently adjustable compression and rebound. But, I tend to prefer the KW valving a little better....

Anyway, as you can see we have options.
So you’re the guy everyone is talking about on various forums. You got a reputation in the Mustang world. So I’m basically looking for a set-up that won’t break the bank, allow my car to handle the various road courses well and offer a good street ride, though I imagine it will be stiffer. If I go with one of the set-ups you mentioned what else will I need? Panhard rod, watts link, camber plates, new strut mounts sways etc…. Are they all easily adjustable in terms of ride height? I read somewhere that on some you actually have to take the system apart to adjust while on others you just use a spanner wrench?

On a separate note, I am used to IRS rears and notice this feels differently and a little unsettling over rough roads. I knew this getting the Mustang but I just wonder what if anything I can do to limit the unsettling of the live rear over bumps?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

<Waves hi> I guess "I'm the guy".

You don't have to take anything apart to adjust the height. It would be a good idea to consider a method of realigning the body over the axle like an adjustable Panhard bar, or way better a Watts link which would not have to be readjusted when you change height and of course just does away with the arcing motion of the body as it moves up and down as you drive the car.

Being that your car is a 2011+ you'd need some 2010 type strut mounts to install any of the aftermarket dampers correctly.

Yes, some good shocks make a big difference, the Watts link that much more on top of the shocks. Live axles get a bum deal from crappy shocks, and stock shocks are pretty crappy.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Good to see another former RX-8 driver; not sure if you recall DPE or not, but I was a site sponsor on RX8club.com for a couple years. RX-8 parts were half my business . Might be why I went out of business? Not enough RX-8s .

As for your question, don't underestimate just doing shocks without springs for a DD. I have Koni Sports on my 2010 with OEM springs, and it honestly works better than I expected on track (also have Steeda HD mounts to help get a little more negative camber). Which is to say very good. Not saying there aren't benefits from lowering, but there are drawbacks for a daily driven car and the real weak link in the suspension is the shocks. Then you can tweak balance with a set of Sam's swaybars (have not done this yet, but may one day), and have a very decent setup for track use and maintain stock ride-height.

Now if you have the cash, by all means go for the coilovers, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
The reason for CO's is I need to drive the car in winter so I want raise the ride hieght.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha. I assumed you just meant you wanted to be able to lower it for the good season and then raise it back up to OEM height for winter; if you need to go above OEM, then yeah, nevermind what I said...
Old 09-21-2011, 02:04 PM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
<Waves hi> I guess "I'm the guy".

You don't have to take anything apart to adjust the height. It would be a good idea to consider a method of realigning the body over the axle like an adjustable Panhard bar, or way better a Watts link which would not have to be readjusted when you change height and of course just does away with the arcing motion of the body as it moves up and down as you drive the car.

Being that your car is a 2011+ you'd need some 2010 type strut mounts to install any of the aftermarket dampers correctly.

Yes, some good shocks make a big difference, the Watts link that much more on top of the shocks. Live axles get a bum deal from crappy shocks, and stock shocks are pretty crappy.
So for now I can do a watts link to tame the rear? What are pros and cons? How difficult to install? Which one to get?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I'm running a FAYS2. Best bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade advise for 5.0 NEWB