Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

SCCA Autocross Prep for FS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Can5.0
1st full season fully stock on those Pirellis; 3.73 gears and they're toast. Up here in Canada a season is 8 races. By my last race I was sliding on every turn. Rotated my tires after every competition too. Then again. I did drive a lot in the summer as well. Regardless, I won 1st overall for the class in 2011 which included non-Z06 corvettes an early 80s Porsche 911 and a few E90 bmws. So faired well in my opinion despite slippery tires.
Which tracks were you running?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Can5.0
1st full season fully stock on those Pirellis; 3.73 gears and they're toast. Up here in Canada a season is 8 races. By my last race I was sliding on every turn. Rotated my tires after every competition too. Then again. I did drive a lot in the summer as well. Regardless, I won 1st overall for the class in 2011 which included non-Z06 corvettes an early 80s Porsche 911 and a few E90 bmws. So faired well in my opinion despite slippery tires.
Were you on 19's? I have 3.31 gears and am wondering how the car is going to do with those. Not out to win anything, just learn the car in the stock configuration.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Can5.0

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Which tracks were you running?
For 2011 I ran in the HADA autcross series, classified into F-stock, to get a feel for the car. So all competitions were on courses set at the Powerade Centre. Each year one of the Powerade Centre events is part of the Solo 2 CASC-OR Provincial series (this past year it was in August). That's the series I am looking to get into this year, as I got an idea of how she handles. The series often includes courses at Mosport, Picton Airport, Molson Centre in Barrie along with the Powerade Centre. This year though I definitely need new tires.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Can5.0

Originally Posted by donutsdemise
Were you on 19's? I have 3.31 gears and am wondering how the car is going to do with those. Not out to win anything, just learn the car in the stock configuration.
Yuppers...19's with those 255/40 Pirellis. Not too sure about the 3.31 gears as I am running the 3.73s (you'll probably spin less at start and have a more forgiving throttle), but I can guarantee you'll have a lot of fun. Oh yah, and I definitely recommend using autocross as a way of learning the car. Definitely taught me how to ease the peddal to go fast, as well as identifying braking points. You'll find that the outer edge of the rear tires will wear out fastest (as the shift in weight w/ the solid rear causes a positive camber effect on hard turns), so rotate as much as you can. Watch how you inflate them too. I kept the fronts higher than the rears as it seemed to lessen the snap oversteer and allowed me to steer with the throttle a little better.

Hope that helps
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
lost won

Default 2011/2012 Handling

Hello, everyone,

I'm just starting out this year with a 2012 GT,
It's a 6 spd, 3.31 axle, Brembo option car in SCCA FS autocross.
Looking for best stock rules prep while I learn to drive.

Have 295/35ZR19 Hoosier A6s on the way, to mount on a set of stock 19x9
wheels (I know, there're heavy at 30#, but they were cheap.)

Plan to leave everything else completely stock,
until I have learned to drive it.

Anybody know the stock camber spec for this car?
And if it is adjustable for more negative?
I can't even get a (paper) shop manual from anyone yet.
Guess a 2011 would work.

Will post more after my first autocross weekend 28/29 Jan
By then I will hopefully be able to talk more intelligently about all this.

I did talk to Sam Strano briefly, and he was helpful. Thanks , Sam.

Hope we all can learn and share our experiences. Best regards.

John Brady
FS #7 Sandy Eggo
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

3.31's are the gear to have in the M6 for autocross. Rarely will you see a course where you need more than 2nd gear. I had 3.73's in my A6 last year and just swapped back out to the original 3.15's to give me nearly 10MPH more in 2nd gear. I'm looking forward to this upcoming season.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
3.31's are the gear to have in the M6 for autocross. Rarely will you see a course where you need more than 2nd gear. I had 3.73's in my A6 last year and just swapped back out to the original 3.15's to give me nearly 10MPH more in 2nd gear. I'm looking forward to this upcoming season.
Thanks! I think Vorschlag's red GT also has 3.31's. Tire diameter (18's vs 19's) might vary some between cars.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! I think Vorschlag's red GT also has 3.31's. Tire diameter (18's vs 19's) might vary some between cars.
You're correct that Vorshlag (no "c" in there) is running 3.31, and so was Sam in his Mustang. Just about any performance tire for autocross whether it is a street tire or an R-comp is going to be shorter than stock effectively meaning less top speed in any given gear.

Attached is a spreadsheet I worked up to see what the RPM and speed would be with a couple of different tires and 3.73's vs. 3.15's in my A6 car. All you have to do is plug in the correct 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear ratios of the M6 as well as the rear gear and tire revolutions per mile to see where you're going to be on top speed in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Mustang Gearing Chart.zip (13.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
lost won

Default Tire Diameters

Originally Posted by jsnyng
You're correct that Vorshlag (no "c" in there) is running 3.31, and so was Sam in his Mustang. Just about any performance tire for autocross whether it is a street tire or an R-comp is going to be shorter than stock effectively meaning less top speed in any given gear.

Attached is a spreadsheet I worked up to see what the RPM and speed would be with a couple of different tires and 3.73's vs. 3.15's in my A6 car. All you have to do is plug in the correct 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear ratios of the M6 as well as the rear gear and tire revolutions per mile to see where you're going to be on top speed in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Just got in a set of fresh 295/35ZR19 Hoosier A6s. By my (probably a little crude) measurements, they match the advertised 27.3 diameter, which is just slightly more than the stock 255/40ZR19 Pirelli P-Zeros at an advertised 27.2 diameter. Just sayin'.... Now all I gotta do is squeeze 'em onto those
itty bitty 9" rims.

Go Fast, Not Furious
John
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lost won
Just got in a set of fresh 295/35ZR19 Hoosier A6s. By my (probably a little crude) measurements, they match the advertised 27.3 diameter, which is just slightly more than the stock 255/40ZR19 Pirelli P-Zeros at an advertised 27.2 diameter. Just sayin'.... Now all I gotta do is squeeze 'em onto those
itty bitty 9" rims.

Go Fast, Not Furious
John
They'll fit.

Is this your first autocross ever? First time on Hoosiers?

Quick Reply: SCCA Autocross Prep for FS?