Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

11-12 steering sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default 11-12 steering sucks!

I've owned my 12 GT for 2 days and I'm enjoying it for the most part. I've got quite a few mods planned, but I don't see any way to fix the steering. It sucks that this thing will not center itself when you let go. It also has almost no feeling even in sport mode. It seems that changing the "feel" only give it more weight. Does anyone make a solely hydraulic conversion kit for these things?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

AH, electronic steering.
No room for the steering pump on the
front of the new 5.0 so lets make it
electric and speed sensitive to boot.

Some 'upgrades' are just not 'upgrades'.
Like ABS and Traction Control.

I was wondering when this ugly problem would rear its head.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by swensicle
I've owned my 12 GT for 2 days and I'm enjoying it for the most part. I've got quite a few mods planned, but I don't see any way to fix the steering. It sucks that this thing will not center itself when you let go. It also has almost no feeling even in sport mode. It seems that changing the "feel" only give it more weight. Does anyone make a solely hydraulic conversion kit for these things?
If what defeaning noise () said is true, then no, it is not possible to go with an aftermarket hydraulic kit on the FEAD assembly.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I agree on the traction control and abs too. Worse than traction control is the stupid ESC or advance trak or whatever they call it. At least there is a way to shut it off completely. Although it sucks to have to hold the button and the brake for 5 seconds every time you start the car.

I traded in an RX8 for the GT and I knew I would take a hit in the handling dept. until I did a full suspension, but this steering is already making me sick. I could flick the rx8 and then let go of the wheel where it would swing to opposite lock in a drift. The mustang just stays pointed where you left it and you have to tug like crazy to counter-steer. Maybe Ford can help us out and fix it. Not to mention, this is all besides the fact that there is no feel. I think NVH had a lot to do with this car being so soft, but come on.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 AM
lowriderb

my 2011 gt steers horible.my old dodge drives straighter
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 AM
lowriderb

if anybody has a fix i,d like to hear it.....
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lowriderb
if anybody has a fix i,d like to hear it.....
Align it. Add some toe-in. Won't help with the feel, though.

I've heard the Boss cars have better feel, even with the epas. I believe they have stiffer suspension bushings. Anyone know where I can get a bushing kit for my '11?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

None of that changes the steering and it coming back to center.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoshpitMad
None of that changes the steering and it coming back to center.
Disagree. A little toe-in aids straight ahead stability. With zero or toe-out, you feel like you're constantly correcting to go straight.

After I changed shocks and springs, I had my GT properly aligned, with 1.5 deg of camber and stock toe and caster (sorry, I don't know the actual numbers). Admittedly, that's a lot of changes at once, but the car self-centers nicely now. I'm pretty sure that's due to the alignment. The outside shoulders of my tires wore badly before the alignment. I expect more even wear now.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
Disagree. A little toe-in aids straight ahead stability. With zero or toe-out, you feel like you're constantly correcting to go straight.
Agreed - when I had my alignment done by a guy that races his recommendation was 1/8 toe in to keep it stable on the Mosport back straight which as you know is 130 + MPH/220 + KPH.

Also as my summer tires, 285/40/18 still tramline badly then I'm glad I'm running 1/8 toe in.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 03-05-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: fixed tires size

Quick Reply: 11-12 steering sucks!