Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front end squeak/chirp... lowered, need help identifying culprit--Vid and pic inside-

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Front end squeak/chirp... lowered, need help identifying culprit--Vid and pic inside-

Hey guys. So I have recently(within the last week or so) developed a squeak/chirp in my front end when going over speed bumps, small bumps in the road, or just driving down a not so level road. My car is lowered on steeda sport springs w/ Konist-r's, and Steeda hd strut mounts. I have been riding on these for about 1k miles and never had a sound before now. It's been warmer lately, and that seems to be a factor; below 80 degrees, no sound. 80+ degrees=squeaks. It sounds like a cricket, or bird chirping. I had a shop do the installation of the springs/shocks. I looked after I started hearing this noise and noticed that the rubber isolater sleeve for the springs were reinstalled like this:

I noticed when he put the isolater on the new springs, he didn't slide it all the way to the end of the coil, so there is spring and strut in direct contact(metal on metal). Is this what's causing this noise?

I took this video on the way to work yesterday so you can actually hear the noise, as opposed to me just trying to describe it; It was about 88 degrees outside. Took it out for about a 20min drive today(75 degrees) and got nothing. Now, you will hear some other noises in the video(rattling/buzzing) every so often. That's my stupid rearview mirror. One day I'll figure out how to stop that. These are the times in the video you can hear the noise I'm describing:

on the street
1:25 very faint
1:44, 2:02, 2:29, 2:32
Parking lot
you can see me coming up to the speedbump @ 3:00
3:05 over the s.b.
3:27, 3:43

Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Anybody?!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 AM
JimC

I can't hear it but if you have metal to metal contact like the picture shows then I think you have identified the source there.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Most of the time, any temp sensitive sound is metal to metal due to expansion during temp change. Looking at your pic the spring/strut could be the culprit. I started my isolator about 2 inches from the bottom of the spring, just like I noted from my original factory strut towers.
Bottom line, if it bugs you that much (and it would me), its time to get your hands dirty and disassemble the strut towers and redo the install. Its really not that hard to do yourself, just study up on the forum and get in there and do the damn thing bro...if you want it done right...DO IT YOURSELF!

Last edited by mayo; 04-03-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Most of the time, any temp sensitive sound is metal to metal due to expansion during temp change. Looking at your pic the spring/strut could be the culprit. I started my isolator about 2 inches from the bottom of the spring, just like I noted from my original factory strut towers.
Bottom line, if it bugs you that much (and it would me), its time to get your hands dirty and disassemble the strut towers and redo the install. Its really not that hard to do yourself, just study up on the forum and get in there and do the damn thing bro...if you want it done right...DO IT YOURSELF!
Originally Posted by GallopingFord<br />
I have a lot of creaking in the rear, but I just accept that its just aftermarket shocks doing their thing. Plus the LCA's didn't help out.
<br />
<br />
Fair enough, I have seen other springs seated the way mine are, with the metal exposed in the end, but I can't think of what else it would be. Might try some wd-40 this afternoon to see if it IRS away for a minute. I know that won't cure it, but maybe it will let me know if that is in fact the issue? Think that will work? As for redoing rhe install, is there a way to do it without completely disassembling the strut assembly? If I get the strut/spring off, could I use a spring compressor to release enough tension to slide that sleeve down then just decompress it back into the strut?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HOTRODD77
<br />
<br />
...is there a way to do it without completely disassembling the strut assembly? If I get the strut/spring off, could I use a spring compressor to release enough tension to slide that sleeve down then just decompress it back into the strut?
You will have to disassemble to move the isolators bro, sorry.
But the good news is, its only like 9 bolts a side
Have any luck with the wd40?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
You will have to disassemble to move the isolators bro, sorry.
But the good news is, its only like 9 bolts a side
Have any luck with the wd40?
Well ****. I'm going to go by the shop who did the install tomorrow and see what they have to say 1st. We'll see how that goes. Someone else told me the wd-40 might be a bad idea bc it's corrosive. So if I do end up trying that, I guess I'll look for some kind of silicone based spray just for a temporary 'investigative tool', lol. Ended up working crazy late and didnt have time ti fool with it today. I also did some more driving, and reading, and I'm wondering if the bushings in my rear lca's could be adding to my squeak fest. I could've sworn I read somewhere, someone saying it was a good idea after lowering to loosen, then retorque the lca's because repositioning them without doing that can cause the bushings to bind. Haven't been able to find where I read that and wondering if I'm just crazy. You ever heard that?

I'm probably going to end up learning a lot about my suspension really soon. I am very new to this, but my car is a damn squeak box right now and it's driving me nuts. You'd think I was driving around in one these gd ghetto sleds I see everywhere
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Dacam

Hotrod, I had the exact same problem with mine when I installed the Koni STRt struts. To isolate the squeak, push up and down on the front bumper either on the driver side or passenger side. The squeak will occur when the front end is bouncing up and down. If you hear the squeak, it is the front strut rod squeaking when on the rebound stroke of the strut rod. It is not the coil spring. I thought it was too but I found out otherwise.
I spoke to Koni America, and they said sometimes the fitment in the strut housing and rod (the polished steel rod) is very tight. They said to try to spray some silicone lubricant and see if it stops squeaking. Do not use WD40.

For me, I bought it from a guy on ebay and I have no warranty from Koni.
So I just removed them (brand new) and put on Tokiko D-spec's. I got brand new set of Koni struts and shocks in my garage. I hope this helps you.

If you want the extra set of Koni's I have, I can get rid of it very cheap.
Let me know if you need any assistance.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dacam
Hotrod, I had the exact same problem with mine when I installed the Koni STRt struts. To isolate the squeak, push up and down on the front bumper either on the driver side or passenger side. The squeak will occur when the front end is bouncing up and down. If you hear the squeak, it is the front strut rod squeaking when on the rebound stroke of the strut rod. It is not the coil spring. I thought it was too but I found out otherwise.
I spoke to Koni America, and they said sometimes the fitment in the strut housing and rod (the polished steel rod) is very tight. They said to try to spray some silicone lubricant and see if it stops squeaking. Do not use WD40.

For me, I bought it from a guy on ebay and I have no warranty from Koni.
So I just removed them (brand new) and put on Tokiko D-spec's. I got brand new set of Koni struts and shocks in my garage. I hope this helps you.

If you want the extra set of Koni's I have, I can get rid of it very cheap.
Let me know if you need any assistance.
I have bounced this thing front and rear while it's parked and can't get a peep out of it. Only does this when I'm moving.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 PM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

Hotrod...aorry I dont mean to hijack your thread but...

dacam...i tried to pm u but it bounced back...how much for the konis?

Quick Reply: Front end squeak/chirp... lowered, need help identifying culprit--Vid and pic inside-