Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 PM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T installed

Installed my Steeda Sport springs and Koni STR.T struts/shocks over the weekend along with the Steeda HD strut mounts. Thanks Sam Strano and Steeda. So, what do you think? I guess I had gotten used to the 4x4 stance, cause I think it's almost too low now. However, it handles great. Much flatter. Much less nose dive and lift on braking and acceleration. First photo obviously before and next after. There's also a comparison of the crap original strut mount compared to the Steeda part. Took a bit longer to install than expected, mainly on rear. It's a PITA to remove the convertible bracing and I decided to paint the axle while it was apart.
The axle shifted maybe a quarter inch. I've got new wheels ordered and will decide on whether to get an adjustable panhard bar following the wheel install.

Untitled by safetyfast, on Flickr

Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Night and day IMHO, the car looks awesome!! Very low profile and a great stance, very nice!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

I felt the same way with my 09 after installing Steeda Sports but you know what, it grows on you! I really love the way my car sits now after 3 weeks!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by safetyfastgt
Installed my Steeda Sport springs and Koni STR.T struts/shocks over the weekend along with the Steeda HD strut mounts. Thanks Sam Strano and Steeda. So, what do you think? I guess I had gotten used to the 4x4 stance, cause I think it's almost too low now. However, it handles great. Much flatter. Much less nose dive and lift on braking and acceleration. First photo obviously before and next after. There's also a comparison of the crap original strut mount compared to the Steeda part. Took a bit longer to install than expected, mainly on rear. It's a PITA to remove the convertible bracing and I decided to paint the axle while it was apart.
The axle shifted maybe a quarter inch. I've got new wheels ordered and will decide on whether to get an adjustable panhard bar following the wheel install.

Looks great! Don't waste your money on an adjustable PHB. If you can, get a watts link, especially if you plan on tracking the car or taking some hard turns for fun. Biggest waste of money = Adj. PHB. I have a BMR double adjustable that is a complete waste of money (because I am going to be tracking the car). If I weren't, it would be sufficient.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Looks great! Don't waste your money on an adjustable PHB. If you can, get a watts link, especially if you plan on tracking the car or taking some hard turns for fun. Biggest waste of money = Adj. PHB. I have a BMR double adjustable that is a complete waste of money (because I am going to be tracking the car). If I weren't, it would be sufficient.
An adjustable panhard rod is not a waste of money. They are cheap and it does exactly what it is supposed to do, center the rear end. Most people do not need a watts link and an adj panhard rod is exactly what they need. Don't mislead people.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

This is the exact set up I'm looking into, what did you put loc tite on during installation?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
This is the exact set up I'm looking into, what did you put loc tite on during installation?
A lot of the fasteners I removed had blue Loctite on them. I put loctite on those and all lower fasteners for the struts and shocks.

What adjustable pan hard bar would you guys suggest?

Last edited by safetyfastgt; 04-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
An adjustable panhard rod is not a waste of money. They are cheap and it does exactly what it is supposed to do, center the rear end. Most people do not need a watts link and an adj panhard rod is exactly what they need. Don't mislead people.
I don't agree with this.

I got an Adj. panhard (UMI 1055 w/ rod ends) and I have gone back and forth between the stock one and the UMI and honestly there isn't much of a difference, and I run Koni STR.T's and Steeda Sports. I am saving for a watts link right now as a matter of fact.

Once you understand the geometry of the panhard it's hard to not feel the rear end walk around as it moves vertically.

Skip the money you put into an Adj. panhard and save for a watts link. The drop on STR.Ts and Sports isn't that much to begin with.

The adjustment for a drop of this magnitude is minimal and if I remember correctly is less than 3/32" due to the length of the panhard bar.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 04-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
imaredtuna

Car looks great! You will definitely enjoy the improvements!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

gmoran, if you want a Watt's Link, go for it. I am just saying it is not a necessity. The adjustable panhard rod I installed did what it was supposed to. It centered the rear which was about 5mm off after installing Koni STR.T's and Steeda Sport Springs. The average driver does not need a $650+ Watt's Link, IMO. The UMI 1055 PHB does exactly what it is designed to do and is a good product for the daily driver.

Quick Reply: Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T installed