Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

V6 PP springs Vs GT springs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
BillyBoy59

Originally Posted by K98
Front GT springs (didn't use)
I read this whole thread a couple times and not sure why the Front GT springs are not used. Can anyone explain?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

The GT springs will have a heavier rate due to the V8 engine up front. This is why I prefer using FFRP parts on my car instead of aftermarket which uses the same part on both V6 & V8's.

On Ford part numbers the first four digits identify the year and and model, such as mustang. The middle four numbers are engineering for a generic part such as 5310 identifies this part as a front spring. the last digits DB vs FB is the actual part that identifies the part as a V6 or V8 item.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM
BillyBoy59

I have a set of GT springs/shocks/struts from a 2012 Brembo brake car that I was going to put on mine.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

The spring rate from the FRPP handling pack is too high for the fronts, and too low for the rears, Add in the poorly valved shocks and struts and you have a bouncy castle, that hops through hard turns. I had Ford install mine, so I could keep my warranty. The ride is very harsh, with the front end bouncing at highway speeds. I decided this year to replace the struts/shocks for Koni yellows and steeda sport linears. Big improvement with the ride and the strut rebound rate is adjustable. Springs have essentially the same drop as the FRPPs.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
The spring rate from the FRPP handling pack is too high for the fronts, and too low for the rears, Add in the poorly valved shocks and struts and you have a bouncy castle, that hops through hard turns. I had Ford install mine, so I could keep my warranty. The ride is very harsh, with the front end bouncing at highway speeds. I decided this year to replace the struts/shocks for Koni yellows and steeda sport linears. Big improvement with the ride and the strut rebound rate is adjustable. Springs have essentially the same drop as the FRPPs.

You probably bought the wrong package dude.. wow. the misinformation out here on these forums really amazes me. There is a V6 pack and a V8 pack. They are different.

The correct FRPP for the V6 is the SAME handling pack that Shelby USA in Las Vegas uses in their Shelby V6 GTS.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 PM
BillyBoy59

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
wow. the misinformation out here on these forums really amazes me.
Which scares me...

According to the 2011 Ford Source Book, the Factory V6 Performance Package comes with "GT Coupe suspension components".

So I'm assuming that if I put front/rear springs, shocks, struts, sway bars from a GT (Brembo or not), I will be ok.

V6 Performance Package
Designed to give the V6 Mustang enhanced ride
and handling characteristics. Package includes:

• GT Coupe suspension components
• 3.31:1 limited-slip rear differential
• 19" x 8.5" machined aluminum painted wheels
• Gloss black exterior mirror caps
• 255/40R19 summer compound
performance tires
• Strut tower brace
• Unique AdvanceTrac® tuning
• Unique engine cover
• Unique front and rear brake calipers with
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic® front
brake pads
• Available on Coupe models with manual
transmission and not available in conjunction
with V6 Pony Package
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

The Brembo equipped cars have stiffer springs and shocks than a GT base car, be careful, Ford has several different spring rates for the 5.0 cars depending on options.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
You probably bought the wrong package dude.. wow. the misinformation out here on these forums really amazes me. There is a V6 pack and a V8 pack. They are different.

The correct FRPP for the V6 is the SAME handling pack that Shelby USA in Las Vegas uses in their Shelby V6 GTS.
You might have looked at my previous post before you came to your conclusion. I have a link to the FRPP site on my first post, where it shows the link to the FRPP V6 HANDLING PACK. I purchased my handling pack from LRS as it was less expensive, as shown below:

Payment Method: Visa/Mastercard ************

Bill to Address: Ship to Address:
Info removed

USA USA
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Ship Via: EZSHIP Taxable: 0.00
Terms: 00 Non-Taxable: 1,099.99
CREDIT CARD Freight: 14.99
Customer PO: FRPP Sales Tax: 0.00
Ship Date: 04/26/2011
Order Total: 1,114.98
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Item Number Qty Shipped Unit Price Extension
MFR3MV6A 1 1,099.99 1,099.99
2011 MUSTANG V6 FORD RACING HANDLING PACK, M-FR3-MV6A

Just because I don't agree with you does not mean I am wrong or bought the wrong parts. I also had my dealer install the parts in order to keep my warranty. Call up Sam Strano at Strano performance parts for an education on what the V6 handling pack's shortcomings are. I had the V6 handling pack on from April 2011 to February 2012. I stand by my post, and I did not purchase the V8 package. I also have a procharger installed, so my ride compares with the GTS.

Just because Shelby uses the handling pack does not mean it is the best. I'll take the Steeda springs and Koni yellows over the handling pack anyday. I have the complete setup for sale, if anyone's interested. Again, talk to Sam Strano, a person who uses what he sells.

Last edited by freyes; 10-10-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 PM
richardm

I followed the information in this thread and I'm almost positive I bought and installed the wrong springs. I bought BR3Z-5310-M which is OE part BR33-5310DB (build code SDF) and I've installed them on the front of my base 2014 V6. The front end is sticking up in the air about 3/4 inch above stock ride height.

My old springs were from a 2014 GT track pack (BR33-5310-EA) and they put the front end at exactly the same height (how I got them in the first place is a long story). The reason why I bought the DB suffix springs was to get the front end back down to stock height -- it was a waste of three hours and $105.

Can anyone re-confirm the correct part for a 2010+ V6 Performance Pack front spring? I know I could just go aftermarket but I don't want to lower the car. I don't know of any non-lowering springs with a GT-level rate but correctly sized for a 3.7 V6 -- except for the V6 Performance Pack.

Last edited by richardm; 05-09-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 AM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Originally Posted by richardm
and $105.

Can anyone re-confirm the correct part for a 2010+ V6 Performance Pack front spring? I know I could just go aftermarket but I don't want to lower the car. I don't know of any non-lowering springs with a GT-level rate but correctly sized for a 3.7 V6 -- except for the V6 Performance Pack.

on my 2013 V6 PP car the tag right on the stock springs says;

BR33-5310-DB
E29EJ
AND SDF in great big letters

I replaced mine at sub 2000 miles with Eibach pro and Koni yellows and love the improvement. (drop was only 1.125", so not a huge hit)

I have taken the car to Road America once and done a couple autocross days with it, but mostly I just drive it for fun and have also towed an enclosed trailer with motorcycles inside for about 5500 miles too-- I do wish the rear spring rate was a little stiffer for the towing part

I get about another 2" of drop in the rear and the front goes up about an inch when I have two bikes inside..... with just one bike in the trailer it is only about 3/4" drop in the rear and about 3/8" rise in the front which I can tolerate
maybe airbags should be a thought for the towing?

Quick Reply: V6 PP springs Vs GT springs.