Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upgrade GT Coyote to spank Camaro SS-1LE

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Allow me to be blunt, because well... it's better than sugar-coating things and giving people the wrong impression.

If you forced me to drive box stock cars, no mods, stock tires and all, I'm going to take the 1LE SS over the Mustang (even the Boss because the Boss isn't really very special in comparison to Brembo GT on the suspension side).

Allow me to mod the Mustang and things start to change. And frankly there is more to be gained modding the Mustang than the Camaro (which already has more negative camber, stickier tires and a lot more tweaks to balance). In short, the Mustang has more room to grow and the solid axle... well if you work that right it's not really a problem. FWIW the GM's rear suspension is kind of wacky in a whole 'nother way with bind and such.
Hi Sam,
Besides the KONI's & Steeda springs, that I already got from you. Do you think I might need something else, instead of changing my car for an 1LE?. By the way, I mounted on my rear Brembo wheels, some 275/40 R19 Michelin pilot SS, that I am planing to do the same with the front ones, after they wear, to keep a square set up
Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
Hi Sam,
Besides the KONI's & Steeda springs, that I already got from you. Do you think I might need something else, instead of changing my car for an 1LE?. By the way, I mounted on my rear Brembo wheels, some 275/40 R19 Michelin pilot SS, that I am planing to do the same with the front ones, after they wear, to keep a square set up
could get a fays 2 watts link, not sure how big of a difference that would make

i have the same setup basically, except im staggered with f14's as rims and 10.5 inch wide rears with 295 pilot supersports. Id be surprised if the camaro could handle as well as mine does now especially since the camaro is like 500 lbs heavier i think..

edit * mabe its only 250 lbs heavier

Last edited by Andy13186; 04-06-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I don't care how well they make that ugly boat handle, it's still a freaking boat of a car. The gt is quite frankly at the verge of being to heavy/big for a fun track car, but atleast it can be lightened up some. The camaro is just too damn big.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-06-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
That is a little disappointing because the new 2015 will be lighter and mount IRS. The potential is there for much better handling, but it wont be realized without the appropriate shocks & springs to go with the car.

I really hope Ford gets the right recipe for superior handling. The stock S197 GT shocks, struts, anti-roll bars are woefully inadequate for track use and require upgrading. The wheel and tire size can use upgrading too.
I hope the 2015 chassis (S-2015?) will address these things.

For the IRS, I hope Ford has learned their lessons from the Terminator IRS, and I also hope that Ford has been paying attention to the problems Chevy has had with their IRS.
The Camaro SS IRS has weak spindles for the 426BHP the engine makes. Even bolt-on mods are enough to break the stock SS IRS spindle axles. Add a supercharger and they snap like a twig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gno7...bNivug&index=1

I really hope Ford does not make the same mistake, especially considering our cars all make in excess of 400BHP and bolt-on mods easily can go above 450BHP.
Chevy was smart enough to completely beef up the rear end of the Camaro. The ZL1 and the 1LE package both come with much stronger spindles. Prior to the ZL1 and the 1LE package, stronger spindles that had to be bought aftermarket from Lingenfelter or others. Additionally, Chevy got smart and upgraded their smaller 8.65in rear gear with a much larger 9.9in rear gear.

Our cars are getting much more powerful, and even though there are rumors that everyone is going V6 for the GT & SS trims, even our Sixxers are very capable of being modded to above 450BHP.
Ford designed our Coyote and also our 3.7L DOHC TiVCT engines to one day take boost and direct injection. The NA 3.7L is already 305BHP, but I can see a GT with EcoBoost 3.7L making well above today's Coyote 420BHP. Even this sixxer would wreak havoc on a poorly designed IRS.

The GT is a street car, not a race car, why would it have adequate anything for the track?

If you are hoping for some super beefy IRS, you'll be disappointed. It would be to expensive and heavier than the all ready to heavy independent rear suspensions. I hope they stick with the solid rear axle or at least have it as an option.

I don't think ford designs any engine to take boost, except a boosted engine.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
could get a fays 2 watts link, not sure how big of a difference that would make

i have the same setup basically, except im staggered with f14's as rims and 10.5 inch wide rears with 295 pilot supersports. Id be surprised if the camaro could handle as well as mine does now especially since the camaro is like 500 lbs heavier i think..

edit * mabe its only 250 lbs heavier
The open question that remains is how well the Michelin PSS stacks up against the G.2 Goodyear in a track or autocross environment.

I'd give the new BFG Rival as having a much better shot at parity.

Norm
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 PM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
The open question that remains is how well the Michelin PSS stacks up against the G.2 Goodyear in a track or autocross environment.

I'd give the new BFG Rival as having a much better shot at parity.

Norm
We might have an idea of the performance of that tire, for example that Michelin is the one that comes standard on the Ferrari 458. And the GY comes on the Corvette Grand Sport, Shelby GT500 and Camaro ZL1. I guess that the Michelin tire has better track handling performance. I readed that this Michelin tire was designed originally for the 458. That is One of the best world handling cars.

Last edited by M3hunter; 04-07-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Looking through Tire Rack's own tests, the PSS isn't quite as grippy in some test situations as the PS2, which tested about even with the GY Asymmetric. Given that the GY G.2 ought to be a step up from the Asymmetric I'm inclined to look at the G.2 performance as being potentially a bit above the PSS, and the Rivals to be at or slightly above that.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=140

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=162

I'm also wondering about the Hankook R-S3 with its newly-revised 200 treadwear rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+R-S3

Norm
Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Guys,
After I did a spirited test drive. I noticed that it will be very hard for our na Mustangs to be able to compite with the 1LE , we will need to invest high $ to be in the same level. The 1LE is a very fine machine that can beat many exotic europeans & japanese car costing the double.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
Guys,
After I did a spirited test drive. I noticed that it will be very hard for our na Mustangs to be able to compite with the 1LE , we will need to invest high $ to be in the same level. The 1LE is a very fine machine that can beat many exotic europeans & japanese car costing the double.
what part of its handling do you think was superior?

Last edited by Andy13186; 09-05-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Meh... $40k to buy an ugly (interior is hideous), overwieght vehicle with a massive blindspot just to say you can out-turn a better looking, lighter 5.0 that can be had for $30k? I'll take the 5.0 with a few aftermarket suspension pieces.

edit: It's not like you'll run across a SS-1LE that often anyways so why waste your money trying to beat one? Enjoy your car, it looks awesome

Last edited by Ricardo; 09-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrade GT Coyote to spank Camaro SS-1LE