Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Curiosity on Shocks/Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:23 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Default Curiosity on Shocks/Struts

Hey guys. Quick question. Got 85k miles on my Stang now. Dropped her about 5k miles ago or so on Ford Racing K Springs 1.5 inch all around. The struts/shocks are stock oem. Ride quality is fine, but could be better obviously.

She's going away soon for the winter but when I bring her back out in March I need new tires all around (which will probably accompany new rims too from AM). I also need new LCA's since they make that damn squeak sound people know about and it would help to hook it up better. I figured while I'm installing LCA's and swapping out tires/rims I could get new shocks for the rear since both LCA's and shocks aren't expensive. Here's my question:

It was a pain in the *** to do my front springs with the strut assembly and all. I really don't feel like going through it right now anyway. Is it wise or just plain stupid to swap out the rear shocks (since they're so easy) and do the front struts down the line sometime? In other words does anyone ever replace just the rear components before replacing the front components instead of both at once?

I think I'm done modding at this point and anything I do will be to upgrade actual parts that need to be such as suspension components, tires, brakes.

Last edited by mustangspotential; 10-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

I replaced just the rear shocks on a Fox body Mustang that I used to own (because it was so easy) and just the rear shocks alone made an improvement. That being said, I think the biggest improvement on the S197s comes from replacing the front struts. The factory ones (on my 2010 GT) were horrible compared to the STR.T Konis.

Do you grit your teeth when you approach a pothole or driveway bump? That was the problem I had until I replaced the factory Strut/Shocks. The harshness went away.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:31 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I put some strange 10 way adjustable shocks and struts on my car......wow what a difference. It really stiffened up the car. Not sure about just doing the rears though.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default Rear springs

I did just the rear springs, my struts & shocks are just 20,000 miles now. Take it to a shop to do both.

Last edited by audioAl; 12-16-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:27 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
I also need new LCA's since they make that damn squeak sound people know about.
RuGlyde ..... get it at NAPA, Amazon, Pepboys, etc ..... put some in a spray bottle and just spray the bushings when doing other service or just anytime you are under the hood or chassis.

http://www.shopthedude.com/prd.cl/AGSRG18

Old can:

Modern jug:

Big economy size:

Last edited by tbear853; 10-13-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

^Thats hilarious!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Bwahahaha!!!! I'll take my lube in big economy size!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I did my rear shocks first, and left the fronts alone for a while, it was fine. I went with the Koni STR.Ts. Noticeable improvement, even with just the rears. It was even better when I put the fronts on, though the difference there was not quite as marked.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
I did my rear shocks first, and left the fronts alone for a while, it was fine. I went with the Koni STR.Ts. Noticeable improvement, even with just the rears. It was even better when I put the fronts on, though the difference there was not quite as marked.
Ok thanks Kotobuki. This is what I'm going to do when installing the new LCA's.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Yep. You can do just the shocks first. It'll feel weird, that's for sure, but you can drive it just fine. Like 808muscle said, the Strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts work well, and we sell them at www.uprproducts.com

Quick Reply: Curiosity on Shocks/Struts