Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Are big brakes necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Cool Are big brakes necessary?

I have a 2006 Mustang GT. I am thinking of improving suspension and getting 07 GT500 wheels for all four corners, 18x9.5 inches. Also, thinking of running Nitto NT555 or NT05 tires or equivalent Goodyear tires. Big brakes are cool but don't think I can stretch it. Mostly daily driver with occasional track days / road racing. What do you think about the following?

1.Hawk HPS or HP+ brake pads, stock rotors, stainless steel lines, motul 600 brake fluid and Ford Racing Braking Cooling kit.

Is the above "good enough" for Maximum Motorsports road and track box or similar Steeda suspension? Ger.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

I'd say start with HP+ at a minimum, and you can skip stainless lines if the budget is tight. Good for feel, but not critical to overall performance. The stock brakes are, as you quote, 'good enough'. Not sure where your experience level is, but assuming you are relatively new to this they'll be fine with the mods you suggest and HP+.

For comparison, I had a 2010 GT with Konis and camber plates and the same GT500 wheels you mention with 275s all around. Also did Motul RBF600, FRPP brake cooling kit with a Boss airdam to hook it to, and Carbotech XP10s all around. I have a few thousand track miles prior to my Mustang, and run in advanced groups; don't always manage a stellar lap time, but it's not for lack of effort. At any rate, the brakes usually did great until the pads got pretty thin, and then they'd start to get a little inconsistent. By my 5th track day, I had a caliper start sticking a bit and one of the rotors cracked all the way through (the rotor that eventually cracked was on the side where the caliper wasn't sticking, oddly). With take-off stuff available it's super cheap to replace them, but ultimately I was going to get GT500 Brembos to fix my longevity issues. With that huge 4-pot caliper and the larger heat sink, I believe the improvement in feel and overall longevity would be significant.

Never got to find out as some things came up and I sold the car, but I just got a 2014 and there was no way I was going to get anything without the Brembo package.

In summary, start with where you're at (but with HP+ for sure; no way HPS will hold up on track for any length of time) and see how you do. In time you may find you need a BBK, or you may find for a few events per year you really don't need one. My guess is they'll work for several events, but once the bug really bites and you start going faster, you'll either want a BBK or will resign yourself to new calipers and rotors every year.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

$230 for brake pads
$230 for SS lines
$40 Fluid
$50 FR Brake cooling kit
$200 new OEM rotors
Total $750

$1150 14" Brembo front upgrade
$100 rear SS lines
$40 fluid
$80 Rear OEM rotors
Total $1370

It is unlikely you will see much of a difference in performance between these two options because of the pads that come with the Brembo package, but when you eventually get around to upgrading those pads, there will be a difference in performance with the Brembos.

That said, if you could find good 2-piece slotted rotors for the front and rear on your stock setup you would benefit from good venting and a lighter unsprung weight setup…though the cost of the setup would likely add $200 to your setup.

I like Brembos, I'm a label *****.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:07 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

This is extremely self-serving, but I'm selling a set of XP10s that are brand new and a set of lightly used HP+ on ebay right now. Save you a little money anyway, should you decide on either of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121268506551...84.m1555.l2649

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121268510913...84.m1555.l2649
Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 PM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

Full Tilt Boogie can sell you the Brembo 4 Piston calibers and you can build your own kit..
Or go to get a full take off kit at different shops, they are a nice deal...if you like OEM rotors and pads and such.

I got a deal on the Brembo that enabled me to put a nice combo together.
Brembos = 455
DBA T3 4000 = 500
Boss brake lines = 80
Hawk HPS = 200

Will install this week hopefully.
Then you may need to upgrade your wheels for the Brembos to fit = $$$$$
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokievol
Full Tilt Boogie can sell you the Brembo 4 Piston calibers and you can build your own kit..
Or go to get a full take off kit at different shops, they are a nice deal...if you like OEM rotors and pads and such.

I got a deal on the Brembo that enabled me to put a nice combo together.
Brembos = 455
DBA T3 4000 = 500
Boss brake lines = 80
Hawk HPS = 200

Will install this week hopefully.
Then you may need to upgrade your wheels for the Brembos to fit = $$$$$

The best deal out there right now are the GT500 Brembo front and rear take off kits for $1,000. Complete front and rear calipers and hardware with SS brake lines and rotors to match. All OEM all from new vehicles.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

HPS pads are at most good for an introductory day, before you start carrying acceleration all the way to your braking zone.

An alternative to HP+ would be Carbotech's XP10. XP8 is also do-able for a 4.6L or the newer 3.7L cars, but I think you might outgrow them soon enough to make starting at 10's at least up front a better plan (I'm running XP8's but started getting a little fade at the end of a 25 minute session in 50°-ish temperatures). Note that these pads will dust more (a LOT more at least in the case of HP+), be noisier, and are more aggressive as far as rotor wear is concerned.

Hi Chip, Long time no read. That's a tempting combination.

Norm
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

The way I like to do things is before I do something major like a supercharger for example is to make sure the car is setup for what i'm going to have it do. If I'm going to make my car go fast, it needs to be able to stop. If you can go fast, but you can't stop in time, that is an issue. Same thing with the suspension, you can go fast, but if you can't handle the car then you're screwed. I would just pickup this set from american muscle, (http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-6...-kit-0514.html) $1,800 for front and rear brembo's. It's the same equipment they use on the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500
Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The only problem with that is that it requires 19" wheels (or larger).

Norm
Old 02-21-2014, 10:59 AM
heslekrants
2nd Gear Member

Better brakes go along way to improve the overall driving experience.

From my personal experience even though the Mustang GT is lighter than the Challenger SRT8 & Camaro SS it feels the heaviest due to it wimpy brakes.

Quick Reply: Are big brakes necessary?