Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

spherical diff bushing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 PM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Default spherical bearing

As they say you can't fit 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag. I measured the UCA gap and it was 85.90 mm. The spherical bearing width was 87.50. I also checked the OEM bearing and it measured 85.00 mm. So i guess the spherical bearing is the problem.I will call Steeda and see what they have to say.
As i see it I have two options:
1. File the spherical bearing. I will have to file the bearing equally on both sizes. Not going to be easy on my back under the car.
2. Remove the spherical bearing and install new one. I will have to figure how to remove the bearing. The tool i used for removal will not work since the shoulder is covered by the flange of the bearing
Open to any other ideas
Old 11-11-2014, 05:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Is there a C-clip holding all the inner bits together that you could remove?

Norm
Old 11-11-2014, 09:55 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Is there a C-clip holding all the inner bits together that you could remove?

Norm
I wish, it's sealed. I know if it was a roto-joint I could possible pull out the sleeve.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

" Looks like the spacers are not pressed in all the way. Everything I measure on the shelf is 85.7 to 85.8 mm wide. Our Steeda brackets are all 86mm wide too. This is a race part so it’s designed for a very tight fit.
I would suggest he tries to press the spacers in a little more and install it, or we can send him another one."

See manufacturers response above. Am I missing something but pressing the bushing in any more will not change the length of the sleeve. I really don't want to remove the bearing, if I have to do that the rear will have to removed from the car.
I am going to try and hand file the sleeve. This could take time the sleeve seems to be high on the hardness scale. I don't think it's a good idea to use a grinder next to the gas tank.
Attached Thumbnails spherical diff bushing-20141111144236736.jpg  

Last edited by jayh007; 11-12-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:44 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

What I did (I have the adjustable Steeda UCA) was file the UCA. If you file a small angle where the bushing hits the UCA first then you can basically force it into position. Mine was also crazy tight when I first installed it and the UCA arms have to bend out just barely to get it on there.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Finally got it on last night. I filed bearing sleeve and sides of the control arm. Fit like a glove. On to the next project.
thanks for the support and info.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
gplracerx

I'm glad I saw this thread before I tried to install the spherical bushing and control arm on my car. My bushing won't fit in the Steeda adjustable arm either. I don't have a micrometer or dial caliper, but it looks to be about 1 mm too wide. I'm waiting for a response from Steeda. I really don't want to file on the control arm and expose bare metal.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:49 PM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Default bushing

Originally Posted by gplracerx
I'm glad I saw this thread before I tried to install the spherical bushing and control arm on my car. My bushing won't fit in the Steeda adjustable arm either. I don't have a micrometer or dial caliper, but it looks to be about 1 mm too wide. I'm waiting for a response from Steeda. I really don't want to file on the control arm and expose bare metal.
I talked to the manufacturer you can try pressing the sleeve together in a vice but since I already installed the bushing in the differential they said it was OK to file the bushing itself. It didn't take much to make it fit. A few passes with a metal did the job. I would not file the control arm.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 AM
gplracerx

Originally Posted by jayh007
I talked to the manufacturer you can try pressing the sleeve together in a vice but since I already installed the bushing in the differential they said it was OK to file the bushing itself. It didn't take much to make it fit. A few passes with a metal did the job. I would not file the control arm.
Looking down the hole in the shaft, I see no internal gap. Pressing in a vise would only work if the metal in the bushing shaft was soft enough to deform easily. Taking a little metal off each end should work, but I'll see if perhaps Steeda wants it back in exchange for one that fits. They may need evidence to press their supplier to improve quality control.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:26 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

I was told it was a two piece sleeve. I couldn't check it out since I had already installed the sleeve. It would have been a real pain in the *** to remove it.
I talked to John N at Steeda and he directed me to the manufacturer. The manufacturer was willing to exchange the part no problem but you are right they should know of quality control issues on this item.
Good luck

Quick Reply: spherical diff bushing