Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I would vote on safty over risk

just buy new fasteners every time that youchange out a suspension component
maybe it'll be fine on 2 torques but maybe you got one thats a little less and it doesn't take the 2nd torque nicely
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
I would vote on safty over risk

just buy new fasteners every time that youchange out a suspension component
maybe it'll be fine on 2 torques but maybe you got one thats a little less and it doesn't take the 2nd torque nicely

Dude,

I like to err on the side of caution as Norm will tell you which is why I tested a bunch of these things when I was chaning people's LCAs out for whatever they brought for me to install. I always had a few spares in the garage just in case. The problem is obvious once you have done a few, the nuts seem to just keep turning without hitting spec torque instead of snuging up within a turn or so and the wrench clicking. This tells me they are stretching which means the bolt is yielding. It means the bolt has already failed and if stressed will yield or snap. This is not good.

HTH!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ya what I'm saying it there could be some that are of lower quality than others and on the 2nd torque could be at the point where the bolt is weaker

not saying its wrong to reuse once but that I wouldn't
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I guess the point being that one should at least consider the possibility that any given one-time use bolt will not take a second torque cycle even though that may be statistically unlikely. I imagine that's Ford's thinking as well.

I used up a second torque cycle on some other suspension fasteners, but I was fully prepared to go buy new ones if I could not reach the torque spec. Even if that meant the car had to sit there on the jackstands until I had them in hand. Next time the car will have new (and uprated) ones and the 'Retired Auto Parts Museum' will have its own new exhibit.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-13-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM
NetWise

Well, that's part of why I'm asking in advance - I'm not up on jack stands yet Sounds like its worth a call to my closest Ford dealer and ask about ..... "rear control arm bolts" and they should know what I'd need from there? I'd rather be safe than sorry, and the likelihood is that I'll own the car long enough to be in there a second time for 'something'.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It does get easier to let your car sit up on the stands for a while if you've got other cars available . . .

Norm
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
ya what I'm saying it there could be some that are of lower quality than others and on the 2nd torque could be at the point where the bolt is weaker

not saying its wrong to reuse once but that I wouldn't

Um, no. The Ford O.E. fasteners are very high quality fasteners, I have tested many, many of these to destruction because I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about and found out that there is none. Many of these fasteners managed to get through five and six full torque cycles before stretching too much but ultimately making full torque value.

The fact of the matter is that Ford's lawyers think that if they give this warning enough times they are off the hook in cases where people have problems after installing stuff they had no business installing, get hurt or hurt other people and then sue Ford. Very few DIY home "mechanics" local independent repair shops or Ford dealership mechanics bother to use regularly certified torque tools if they even have a torque wrench let a lone a torque wrench that is maintained and calibrated or has any idea what the proper torque values are. Additionally the Ford bean counters who are always looking for new ways to get you to buy more parts from the Ford parts department. So when the lawyers and the bean counters agree this is what gets printed in the manuals and plastered all over the INTERNET. So people think you need to throw away perfectly good fasteners (that are not cheap to buy BTW) and then trot out and buy them from your local Ford dealership which are so very happy to take your money you did not have to spend if you knew any better.

Do what you want to but please don't add to the ignorance and FUD that is already out there about fasteners for LCA and UCA in S197 chassis cars. All you are doing is going to making it cost more for no good reason.

If you want to spend some money buy a good torque wrench that can be calibrated by one of the quality ISO A2LA calibration labs that maintain ISO 17205 certification (the highest). Look on their sites to see what brand and model torque tools can be calibrated before you buy that $30 ebay torque wrench. There IS a difference and if safety and the highest quality job is important to you will use calibrated torque tools.

HTH!

Last edited by F1Fan; 07-13-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typos, additional thoughts and clarity
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
MrLatte

Default One-time use bolts

With the recent talk about replacing bolts used on the UCA and LCA, what about the shocks/struts and the panhard bar?

If I'm putting in an adjustable panhard bar should I buy new bolts for that AND new bolts to mount the struts/shocks? Wasn't there a thread someone with all the Ford fastener part numbers?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I think that those fasteners are considered "one-time use" by Ford, though for street-driven cars they seem to be able to cope with a second retorque cycle. I'd use a little medium-strength Locktite and give that a little time to set before driving, though.

Norm
Good read, installed LCA's six months ago. I hate the bolt/nut setup from the factory. What are the torque specs?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Question:
Picking up a set of 20 saleen extreme wheels for my 07 GT.

From what I have read, what do you guys think?
Steeda Sports, would camber bolts or CC plates be needed... how about bumpsteer kits
Spec D's
upgraded strut mount GT 500 is acceptable http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...011/p/M18183C/

Already have lca's with bracket, adj. panhard, plan to add front/rear sways, and upper adj. control arm.

I want to do this all the right way and be prepared for the blower install next year. Do you suggest I do anything different?

Last edited by 99gtstang; 07-28-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT