Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Order a Shelby GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:04 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Order a Shelby GT500?

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:42 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

You worded the question fine right from the start. I know exactly what you mean... the dealer doesn't have to have the car in inventory so you give them 5k and they order you a GT500. The problem is their allocation (ability to get GT500's) is not unlimited, in fact it's very small (might be 1 or 2 for a relatively small dealership) So they will simply grab their allocation and mark them up because demand is higher than supply. That simple. This is why one response was wait for the Camaro and Challenger to come out and you can get one for A-plan. ...reason: demand will be less, supply will be greater. Another reason dealers will price gouge as much as they can now; it's a relatively small window of opportunity for them. Dealers were selling 05GTs over MSRP when they first came out. Same ole, same ole.

If I really wanted one now and wanted to see if I could get one at MSRP (which IMO is still too much $; would prefer to order a GT "my way" which we can do at about every dealer here in the northeast.) I would stop at every Lincoln Mercury (non Ford dealership) and ask them if they can sell you a GT500 at MSRP. You might run into a weird connection back to Ford through the Lincoln Mercury dealership; The Lincoln Mercury dealership is not that inclined to go after aGT500 on their own but if they can work a deal with you on a car they don't even offer they may just have a way. Wouldn't take anything to try. ...though my ultimate recommendation is to wait. Iordered my GT for 25k (x-plan) and just can't see paying double that and also getting "stuff" on the car I don't even want cause it's std equip. ...anyway, hope that helps with your original question. Allocation: Supply & Demand. (and willingness of folks to pay 5-10+k over)
Old 06-29-2007, 09:03 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

That would the **** !!!!!

Can you imagine going on a site like Dell and just choose your model? That would be aw some, especially the <<customize it>> button!!

Hey dude, your gettin a Ford!

That would be such a good idea, it will never happen....[&o]

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

No, you cannot buy a car from Ford to bypass dealers. If that were the case, dealers wouldnt exist as sales outlets anymore. That may or may not be a bad thing depending on personal experiences. It is possible (even if only a slim possibility) to order the car from a dealer and WATCH you car come down the assembly line. Due to union contracts with shipping and such, as well as contracts between Ford and dealers, you would still have to take delivery of the car at the dealer.

You know, that got me to thinking. In the beginning, Ford NEEDED the car dealers as a way of getting their product out there. But not now. Why don't they just set up a site, where you could push buttons, just like you were buying a pair of tennis shoes, tell what bells and whistles you want, and pay them. Cut out the thieving middleman. They would make more money, we'd save more money. They could have regional test drive centers where we could go try out a new model, then wait for delivery. Sounds good to me. The only thing that wouldn't work is for those people that want the car the same day.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Fairlane. Well said.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

No problem, valid question.

The "opportunity" for the Shelby is gonna shift "big time" from the dealer to the consumer. ...just wait and watch it happen, as long as Ford doesn't go "belly up" alltogether first. If it was Toyota it would be a different story from a financial strength perspective; Ford has this upscale drivetrain in the 500 and they need sales volume in a bad way. The best scenario is this drivetrain in a version of the GT for low 30's. ...and that one will be discounted at some point as well. The patient consumer will benefit as this all unfolds in the nextfew years. In the meantime you can order a new GT, just the way you like it and well under MSRP. They cankeep their $50k GT500.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

I agree 100% with waiting. Bottom line is their are still 07's sitting on lots, that means the demand ain't that high or else they would all be gone.
Yes they are marked up 5k to 10k over MSRP, but when Ford starts to introduce the KR and another 7000 GT 500's over the next 8months the supply is going to increase substantially while demand is going to drop. I am going to wait till mid to late October when sales become sluggish and then see if I can get a GT500 for MSRP, if not I can always order a GT and save a ton of money. Either way I feel I will win.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a good plan. Out here in the northeast sales are even more sluggish in Jan, Feb;
Christmas money is gone and it's snowing.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:35 PM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

At Bob Baker Ford in the sand diego area they have a $46,000 GT500. Oh, did I forget to mention the $40,000 dealer markup, bringing the total to $86,000? I only wish I was joking...
Old 06-30-2007, 03:58 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Only an imbecile would pay that (or even close), so how do imbeciles get the money to do this? inheritence. ...they can't earn it. ...whole thing is just stupid, but thanks for sharing.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
redcobrasc
2nd Gear Member

Fuller Ford has theirs for 72k white w/t red stripes, and posted it on ebay buy it now for 59k. For some reason they still are keeping their markup in SoCal.

Quick Reply: Order a Shelby GT500?