Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Why did you mod your new GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default Why did you mod your new GT500?

I will never claim that m 08 gt500 is without needed mods based on MY OPINION....however...why do some of you mod your gt500's.I mean I modded the hell out of my stock GT, had it blown etc etc...all because I wanted to get more power...more speed...then I realized, I dont drag race...I just drive my car...I always loved the gt500 and got myself to a point where I sold my 05 gt and bought my gt500. I did it with the feeling that the stock rwhp is enough for me...made a few tweaks to the car before it left the showroom..going to be adding the FRRP CAI..mainly because I like the look better than the stock air box...but thats about it besides maybe hood struts and some billet caps under the hood...my questions are posed more towards the diehard modders...the ones who replace the superchargers and suspension etc...fully understanding that some do it because they are dragstrip gurus...but I have read where some are not or are like me where they will never race their gt500 on the track...so that is the reason for my query....why do you mod your gt500....are you a racer...do you visit the track...what are your goals...I am just curious...
Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why did you mod your new GT500?

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in here I do not have a GT 500 (yet) but am seriously considering buying a used one in the near future.

I am not a diehard drag racer maybe 3-4 times a year if that, the first thing I will do with in weeks to my GT 500 if & when I get one is a CAI, tune and pulley, BT’s off my GT and DR’s for the track, new s/c down the road in a year or two. The main reason I want a GT 500 is for the motor and its potential (strongsb/r.a)of a low to mid 10 second car down the road should I want to without going into the motor, the second reason I like the looks and it is a Shelby GT 500 and with a 5.4/331ci motor with 4.v heads and a decent trans.

So with that said I want the power potential (modded) this car can produce (on a stock motor) on the street or on the track and is the main reason (along with the above secondaryreasons) for purchasing one and modding it
Old 08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

because we never have enough..... When i my 01 v6, i had never an a desire to mod it...... but then one day i said let me do a lilttle...... well after that it never stopped.... 13grand later i had a 330rwhp V6 mustang that hauled ***... once you get the power addiction it never stops.... Then i had my 2005 Evo 8.... i had that car for maybe a month, then ordered my works downpipe, megan TBE, Bushur racing air filter adn a tune and i was running 12's all day, after a few months the car stopped feeling fast and i wanted to do more...but i sold it instead for something else.... Then my 07 mustang all i did was mac boomtubes and a tune and that made a nice difference... Now my gt500.... still stock and as for power...the only thing i think i will do is axlebacks when i get the cash but the car met every expectation i had so im in no hurry....But I think its more of getting bored of a car... and every time you mod it makes the car interesting again..... or do like me and sell it for something new lol...
Old 08-10-2008, 03:55 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

It's like anything in life, the more we have the more we want, Now the samething, the GT500 doesn't feel as fast as it used to??
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

Because simple bolt-ons (CAI, tune which are easily removeable) yield about 80 extra hp. This engine responds to mods better than any other.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

because it's fun and makes it faster and cooler
Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i dont have a gt500, but i think it applies to every car to some degree. basically, i want my gt to be faster, look better, and sound better. if i had a gt500 i would want the same. i probly wouldnt change the blower, but i would definately change the exhaust, CAI, pulley, take the stripes off, black out the lights, and that would be in the 1st month. then i would do some appearance mods to make the car my own. but who knows, i would probly do more. i dont think it is the car that makes you mod it or not mod it. no matter what car i have, i would change it and make it better.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:09 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Default to mod or not to mod the GT 500

Here are some reasons I think
1) the stock GT 500 sits up too high so I would lower it
2) I would paint the stripes and clear over them
3) You can get about 80 more horses than stock with a tune and CAI
4) The Corsa exhaust has no drone and improves the sound
5) the Mirrors look way better in body color
6) adding a three gauge package with boost, fuel and ? gives it more appeal
7) Adding an engine start button makes it more unique

But it is a great value just the way it is. Maybe I will get a real one one day, but this is what I did to my car.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

thx, all legit and good responses...I just dont see me ever doing it...
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

You're no fun cheft....

Quick Reply: Why did you mod your new GT500?