Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Please help with tire question!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM
BlackShelby

Default Please help with tire question!!

Just bought a new 2012 Shelby GT500 with the SVT Package. I hate the Eagle tires. I live in Kentucky and from October to March the Eagles just spin for the first 15 minutes I drive the car. It is very dangerous. I have been looking for different tires that will match front and back. However, I am not having much luck with the 19's and the 20's for matching manufacturers. My question is this, should I replace the wheels and put 20's all the way round or 19's on all fours. I have heard that Continental makes a great tire that works well on the Shelby. I want a tire that will give me a bit of grip even in cold weather. If I can keep the wheels I have now that would be great, but if I have to sell them because I can't find matching tires then I will. I actually like a chrome wheel anyway. Any Help Please would be grateful.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:37 AM
BlackShelby

I have posted this same message in several different forums and I can see where lots of people view the post, but no one ever answers the question or helps with my post. Am I missing something, like everyone here is rude, or no one knows the answer.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Someone in this forum mentioned blizzacks by bridgestone. Supposedly pretty good for winter driving. The reply thing is weird, and no people here aren't rude it can be just hit and miss sometimes. Most people I don't think will respond because they don't want to give out a crappy answer to a question, and would rather wait for someone more educated on the topic to answer.

I tried anyway! hopefully someone else will put in their 2 cents!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM
RacinRandy

Default tire question

I was unable to find any suitable replacements and went aftermarket wheels/tires.

Here is what I did: http://marblesmotors.com/2011%20GT50...n%20Wheels.htm

Randy
Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ares05
Most people I don't think will respond because they don't want to give out a crappy answer to a question, and would rather wait for someone more educated on the topic to answer.

I tried anyway! hopefully someone else will put in their 2 cents!
I like to believe this is the reason.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

^ same here
Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 PM
IA Shelby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelby
Just bought a new 2012 Shelby GT500 with the SVT Package. I hate the Eagle tires. I live in Kentucky and from October to March the Eagles just spin for the first 15 minutes I drive the car. It is very dangerous. I have been looking for different tires that will match front and back. However, I am not having much luck with the 19's and the 20's for matching manufacturers. My question is this, should I replace the wheels and put 20's all the way round or 19's on all fours. I have heard that Continental makes a great tire that works well on the Shelby. I want a tire that will give me a bit of grip even in cold weather. If I can keep the wheels I have now that would be great, but if I have to sell them because I can't find matching tires then I will. I actually like a chrome wheel anyway. Any Help Please would be grateful.
Very few good options.

Nitto invo;s have some optiions.

Conti DWS all season is a great tire but you would need to go down to 245/275.

Michelin PS2 are a summer tire but they still work pretty well even at lower temps 40/50. Goodyears scare me with anything below 70 degrees. The PS2 comes in 275/40/19 & 295/30/20. You keep the same relative rack but go up a little bit in tire height. Just need a tuner to calibrate wheel revs to speedo.

Bridgestone offers slight variations of the potenza tire that you could get for the front and rear but again are summer only.

If it were me I would get a set of 19" winter wheels and stick continental dws or Michelin Pilot A/S on the closest size match possible.

Where I live the car gets stored so I haven't had to address the same issue you are facing.

Good luck with your search.