Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Question on shelby 07-09"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Default Question on shelby 07-09"

Im slowly stacking up for a 700whp setup for This summer with the vmp blower kit, id like to know how much power can the stock clutch handle? Does afco dual cooling exchanger fan make a big difference on the cooling of the engine? Is it true that the shelby suspension is the same one from the gt? If so, what are the MUST to add in aftermarket part to handle reasonably 700whp (drag and street use).. Ive seen justin on vmp saying that if you change the OD lower pulley (boosting over 18lbs) you need to upgrade your fuel system? There is several set of injector from 49 lbs to 60 lbs with many different price, what the difference? Ive seen 60 lbs inj going for low 4xx versus 60lbs inj goin for 700!? That about it for now. If anyone can answer any of theses question, it would be great!

Last edited by mighted1987; 02-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mighted1987
Im slowly stacking up for a 700whp setup for This summer with the vmp blower kit, id like to know how much power can the stock clutch handle? Does afco dual cooling exchanger fan make a big difference on the cooling of the engine? Is it true that the shelby suspension is the same one from the gt? If so, what are the MUST to add in aftermarket part to handle reasonably 700whp (drag and street use).. Ive seen justin on vmp saying that if you change the OD lower pulley (boosting over 18lbs) you need to upgrade your fuel system? There is several set of injector from 49 lbs to 60 lbs with many different price, what the difference? Ive seen 60 lbs inj going for low 4xx versus 60lbs inj goin for 700!? That about it for now. If anyone can answer any of theses question, it would be great!
Here ya go....

1. The stock clutch will hold fairly well, until you take it to the track a couple of times with that kind of power. You will eventually have to upgrade, so plan on the McLeod RXT to give you the holding power.

2. You WILL need an AFCO dual fan heat exchanger. It will keep the intake temps nice and cool. While you are at it, upgrade to the larger capacity resevoir also. It will help greatly in reduced temps for the IC system (It has nothing to do with reduced engine temps... for that buy the Reische 170* thermostat and adjust the fan settings with your SCT tuner, thats all you need)

3. The 10% lower is a good mod IMO, some people don't like it. IF your car is an 2007, you will HAVE to replace the balancer anyway due to the weight of the factory unit. The 10% will tax the fuel system more, and will probably require the use of a BAP, although the stock pumps will be fine.

4. As for injectors, send your stock ones to VMP and let them modify them to 72 lbs/hr ($250-300). They are easier to tune than the 60# injectors, will idle and perform better, and will give you a little headroom for future mods. With the 60's, you will be almost maxed out.

5. For suspension, any good set of LCAs, an adj. UCA ( to set proper pinion angle), and a 1pc aluminum DS. Those are the basics, and will help with durability and traction both.

To reach 700rwhp, you will probably need the FRPP 65mmCJ TB and a set of longtube headers in addition to the blower/CAI. Don't waste your money on the high flow cats either, they will melt and cause damage at those power levels.

Enjoy!!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Awesome i knew i could expect some
Serious information from you, thanks man, ill lets you know how my build turn out
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Just as an FYI... Justin at vmp doesn't prefer the injector modding and now recommends ID725 injectors.
Also I do agree with the cj65mm tb but to reach 700 Rwhp you may not need as much as you think.. Justin's vmp also can have a smaller pulley now.. A 2.4 pulley is available ..
I will err to gt500steve expertise on at the track needs .. My suspension upgrades include svt handling kit.. New lca.. Double adjustable Uca.. Panhard bar and brace..
Of course better tires helps.. FWIW my car has high flow catted x pipe with KR h pipe mod / KR axel backs.. Stock injectors.. Stock tb and ford racing 113mm cai and I am 676 Rwhp and 666 torque with Justin's vmp TVS and the 2.5 pulley.. With a tb and injector upgrades .. 2.4 pulley I will easily achieve 700++ Rwhp..... Good luck with your build
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah and I second the mccleod rxt upgrade
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Thx cheft, ill see where my budget will bring me, i could start at 650whp then slowly mod the rest, if i can skip OD 10% pulley and injectors for now i think i could be good to order everything else, first goal is to snap a shelby with headers and cai n programmer, that would make me save already alot of extra money. I didnt calculated the driveshaft and afco dual fan at first, so this is easily another 1.5k to count, but i think it better to start somewhere and build up monthly then having everything already set n installed at first, this way ill enjoy every upgrade and notice all the evolution, damn cant wait for summer!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

If you don't have a Shelby ... You can always just buy mine be almost all the way there ..
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

I agree with what Steve has said. I have the same mods as he has mentioned and his take is 100% accurate.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Cheft, how much are we talking about. Gimme the specs years kms in pm please
Old 05-04-2013, 01:57 PM
bunnmustangguy

How much hp do you think until a built bottom end is needed?

Quick Reply: Question on shelby 07-09"