Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Should i buy a stage 2 roush? or...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:44 AM
.eclipse

Default Should i buy a stage 2 roush? or...

So i want a "fast car" no more then 40k and im a huge ford fan...i was looking at the 06 saleens but the s281 starts around 42k..i was leaning towards to stage 2 roush 06...is it a good buy?? or should i just buy a premium gt coupe??
Old 03-11-2006, 12:11 PM
terminator04

Default RE: Should i buy a stage 2 roush? or...

If you like the 05-06 body style, i would go with the roush. I have a 04 cobra with 7K invested and i am pushing 570rwhp with a whipple at 16psi so if you like the 03-04 cobras i would go with that! and you would be saving money.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:31 PM
nrcollectibles
2nd Gear Member

It depends how much more horsepower you need. The stock Saleen will get you 25 horsepower more than the Roush. It also has 3.73 rear gears, so it will be a little quicker off the line. I would think the price point between a Stage 2 Roush and a base Saleen would be pretty close when all is said and done.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
04Mach1DD
2nd Gear Member

Well if your buying a brand new one i would go with a roush, but get a stage three because stage two doesnt really mod your engine. There prices are going to be droped really soon with the release of the new cobra. Stage three gives you a full body kit wich is more muscle then sport like a saleen, also gets you a supercharged engine wich adds 115hp, new racing suspension, high perf. brake kit, and some interior mods as well. This car handles like nothing else. However i belive the new saleens are a lil faster, but cost alot more. also think insurence/gas
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 PM
canes44
1st Gear Member

Go with the roush, I did.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

Saleen all the way. I looked at both Roush and Saleen as well I considered the 07 Cobra. As I don't want to offend any Roush owners, you can PM me if you want to know more specifically why I chose Saleen. At least they are all Mustangs!!!!! Can't go wrong with that.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Lordewoks

hey guys,

im in the same boat. roush or saleen or cobra. from what it sounds like, i wont have a chance to get the new cobra til winter 06 the earliest? and even then, i'll be paying way more than im looking to spend. i wonder if i can get a roush stage 3 or a saleen sc for around $45k? does anyone know what the insurance goes for (in NJ) for these models?

thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 04:17 PM
DProsser

Customer Testimonial "Just wanted to drop you a quick note about the Saleen I just purchased from Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas Nevada. I sold my 1998 Corvette and started looking for a car I could have some fun with and still take my one year old granddaughter with me when needed. I test drove the Mustang GT just OK and the Jack Rouch was just not the quality I was looking for. Went to Gaudin Ford and the Saleen was setting on the showroom floor.THAT WAS IT!!! just setting in the car you could see a Hugh quality difference in all the detail outside and inside.The Saleen has an elegance unmatched by Rouch then you start the car and go for the test ride and you know there is only one choice to make the Saleen.The Saleen looks better, handles better, has a heavy solid feeling.It looks and feels worth the money your going to spend to be different." (Mar 7th)

Stage three gives you a full body kit wich is more muscle then sport like a saleen,(04Mach1DD)
Heres the deal. A Saleen body kit is completly designed by "form meets function or designed by the wind" what that means for an example lets look at the front fascia of the roush(couple things to note), the reason Saleen decided to remove the large fog lights from the grill is to allow more air through for better engine cooling, secondly look at the lower fog lights on the roush they are in-set about 4" all that will do is create an air pocket and increase drag, look at the Saleen you will find five that evenly produce down force and help keep the front of the car on the ground at all speeds. Also look at the Saleen foglights they are flush with the fascia of the car and have the same lumens brightness as larger fog lights. And thats just the front end were talkign about.

By claiming that the roush is more muscle looking that reverts back to you calling the Saleen cars "pretty" in your other posts. While infact by designing a car to look more muscle you are calling your own car "Pretty". And by saying a Saleen is Sportier, then we appreciate the compliment that our cars are not only "pretty" according to you but also "sportier" meaning that the over all Saleen exterior design looks great and performs better too!

Also by having the 3.73 gear ratio, and the extra 30hp. It makes the base S281 extremly fun to drive.

Did i mention the Saleen has an Established resale value backed by the NADA? (check it out www.NADAguides.com )

While the roush is recognized as a GT mustang with a kit.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:57 PM
SMOKE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DProsser

Customer Testimonial "Just wanted to drop you a quick note about the Saleen I just purchased from Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas Nevada. I sold my 1998 Corvette and started looking for a car I could have some fun with and still take my one year old granddaughter with me when needed. I test drove the Mustang GT just OK and the Jack Rouch was just not the quality I was looking for. Went to Gaudin Ford and the Saleen was setting on the showroom floor.THAT WAS IT!!! just setting in the car you could see a Hugh quality difference in all the detail outside and inside.The Saleen has an elegance unmatched by Rouch then you start the car and go for the test ride and you know there is only one choice to make the Saleen.The Saleen looks better, handles better, has a heavy solid feeling.It looks and feels worth the money your going to spend to be different." (Mar 7th)
That's the first time I've that comparison. Good to SALEEN has improved their body kit.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Although a stage III Roush and a S281sc are pretty similar, one area they are not is in the blower. Roush is still using a roots blower on their stage III setup. The roots blower they use needs to push more psi than the Saleen series 6 unit, which adds to the Roush's heat buildup and lack of efficiency vs. the Saleen series 6 blower. The diffence is considerable, enough that if I was undecided between the 2, I would default to the S281sc.
I'll be perfectly honest; not to flame on Roush, but their lack of a twin screw unit in their new cars shows that they are $ conscious and not performance consious. On top of that, the hp curve with the Roush blower is considerably flatter on top, compared to the Saleen's. Shame on Roush for using old, inefficient technology in the cars.

Quick Reply: Should i buy a stage 2 roush? or...