Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen quality control???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:48 PM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen quality control???

ORIGINAL: unclemilti

Well- all of these issues are the reason I bought the base model Saleen to upgrade myself.

I couldn't justify dropping 60 grand on the S/C model with the QC issues I was reading about. I could live with the little bugs for 40 grand. I will still come out cheaper in the long run to upgrade the hood and spoiler (in progress), install the S/C and gauges, and add the front brakes. I also don't believe the hit from it not being "S/C'ed" from the factory will be much, if at all. Watching eBay over the last year has provided enough feedback o be comfortable doing my own upfit.

I also agree with the poster that said Saleen simply uses the sale of the Saleen Mustangs and F150's to fund and market his S7.

You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that one out.

I am still happy overall right now with my purchase, though.

Make sure you get the aluminum hood and not that boat anchor fiberglass thing that needs hours and hours of prep work...The few hundred more for the aluminum is well worth it...I wish I had new about the 2 different hoods before I bought my fiberglass one...but when I bought it my car was brand new...I didn't know anything about Saleen's service and products....
Old 11-05-2006, 02:51 PM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

Well I'll be more happier with my car when it sees the road...right now it has seen the road for 3 weeks..only two of those 3 it had all the parts on the car...It has seen....17 weeks of shop time sine purchasing in July
Old 11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

4 months to get minor things right seems excessive not to mention losing another $1200 in insurance payments from not driving the car....
Old 11-06-2006, 01:36 AM
abbas
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SALEEN1246

4 months to get minor things right seems excessive not to mention losing another $1200 in insurance payments from not driving the car....
Unfortunetly, that is the problem. It is the fact that your Ford dealership has to get approval for all the Saleen stuff before they can do any work. I am trying to get that approval now too.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 AM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

I still have my fingers crossed that tomorrow I'll bring it home
Old 11-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

I know all of you guys and Gals hope and pray that something about customer service will improve but it will not and has been this way from the beginning. You say, "I want a Saleen Mustang" and that's that. Those of us that have been around from the beginnning and know that this is true and prefer to purchase and deal with bug and issues that like have been described earlier in the thread are common for all specialty low production spots cars. Sorry for the run on's. The age of the internet here and all of the new messageboards have only given a voice to all of the "new school" Saleen Mustang owners able to vent about what we have known since 1987 and that's a fact.

I agree the stakes are higher now since a loaded S281 S/C car out the door is upwards of $60k. 10 years ago the S351 R Code was the top shelf Saleen and hovered around the same price. The E car out the door is considerabley more. I guess all I'm trying to say is that all of these issues customers are complaining about are par for the course and have always been there. Nothing will change that other than Saleen going out of business all togther.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: unclemilti

Well- all of these issues are the reason I bought the base model Saleen to upgrade myself.

I couldn't justify dropping 60 grand on the S/C model with the QC issues I was reading about. I could live with the little bugs for 40 grand. I will still come out cheaper in the long run to upgrade the hood and spoiler (in progress), install the S/C and gauges, and add the front brakes. I also don't believe the hit from it not being "S/C'ed" from the factory will be much, if at all. Watching eBay over the last year has provided enough feedback o be comfortable doing my own upfit.

I also agree with the poster that said Saleen simply uses the sale of the Saleen Mustangs and F150's to fund and market his S7.

You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that one out.

I am still happy overall right now with my purchase, though.

Make sure you get the aluminum hood and not that boat anchor fiberglass thing that needs hours and hours of prep work...The few hundred more for the aluminum is well worth it...I wish I had new about the 2 different hoods before I bought my fiberglass one...but when I bought it my car was brand new...I didn't know anything about Saleen's service and products....
So, 06Saleen1246, part of the 17 weeks in the shop is due to putting in an engine upgrade and a new hood that had to be painted? Just curious.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:30 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: abbas

ORIGINAL: walc

Amy,
Very well put!
I doubt that Saleen cares; but, if I had been smart enough to read this forum, before buying, I would have bought something else. Like my Lotus Esprit and 1988 and 1989 Jaguars*, the PIA factor eventually exceeded the "cool" factor. [sm=rant.gif]

_________
* IMO, newer Jaguars, produced under Ford's ownership, are excellent cars. [8D]

Meto...I'm sure someone makes a $50,000 car that doesn't have all these problems...
YES, but does someone make a $50,000 car that you dont see on the roads everyday or every week? I have yet to see another 05/06 Saleen in my area. I paid for the exclusitivity. All the other cars were starting to look 'bland' to me. I could have easily waited for next year M3 to be released but I chose the Saleen. Even the new M3 was not looking that appealing.
Well- You do see them quite a bit, but damn they still look good, and dollar for dollar I don't think it can be beat. That is the 07 Vettes.

I spent 2 days in one before buying the Saleen, and it was WORLDS better than the 01 I had. Very impressed with just about everything on it from the handling to the motor to the paint.

But..I had ALREADY had a Vette..never had the Saleen. So, the Saleen is in the driveway for now.

For now.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

Here is what happened It took 3-4weeks to fix my cruise control...Saleen didn't program that my car had cruise in the computer...My question find a 2006 GT that don't have cruise? So that took a month getting the computer straight they had to get 3 computers from Saleen before that was fixed...also there was a paint chip fairly bad on top of the rear spoiler it had to go to the paint shop that ford picked...When I got my car back the paint was a differen color yellow (lighter) And they had white paint all over my drivers seat So i didn't take it like that....So after another 3 week ordeal I got my car back...Paint still not match...had a scratch in the corner spoiler a chip in the deck lid and mirror cover was chipped......seats were cleaned except for where the seats are darker now from the cleaner they used...Anyway my hood I had ordered from Haney which had been at another paint shop for nearly two months I decided to go ahead and get it painted while i had my car and let them look at the damage....When they looked at it they told me there is no way a car like that would have left their shop in that kinda condition...so i got on the phone and told them I had a shop to fix it....Ford place said go ahead and get them to to send an estimate.......I got to drive my car a week in between while they prepped my hood...Brought my car in...The first paint on the hood didn't match...so it took 4 days of phone calling back and fourth to Saleen to get the paint brand...after that Hood was painted within two days....they proceeded to fix my spoiler that Ford said send an estimate...Ford said they wouldn't pay for nothing but the middle spoiler that i'd have to show them the damage...so I drove my car back to the ford dealership 90 miles away to see what they've seen before...got the ok then straight to the paint shop...after painting the rear spoiler it was discovered why one of the pieces didn't fit...it was broke on the inside...so another trip to the dealership bringing the broke corner piece to them...I was told if i brought it back i could drive the car till the new one arrived...but the ford place kept it...well Friday the new piece came in...guess what the clips i need to attach it or on the piece 90 miles away...i'm headed there today...to get the clips if they still have my piece...if not i'm sure another week of waiting for 4 little metal clips from Saleen...The ford place never returned my call Friday after this was discovered....So If they have the piece at the Ford place I;ll finally get to drive my Saleen home ...Since purchasing it brand new July 11th....
Old 11-06-2006, 01:54 PM
walc
2nd Gear Member

" Saleen Quality Control " is an oxymoron.

Quick Reply: Saleen quality control???