Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

If your name was "Saleen"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 AM
MikeRokkit
1st Gear Member

Default If your name was "Saleen"...

Aside from the several aftermarket upgrades to the engine and the suspension, I'm curious what you'd with the Saleen if you could take ideas to their design group? I love this car andthe stock finish is outstanding. What would you change/add/take away from the stock config?

Mike
Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 AM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: If your name was "Saleen"...

Great question Mike! (you're in Austin, but are you on a clandestine mission in Saleen's employ?) [8D]

I LOVE my car, but a few niggling things that have caused me to say "gee, it would be even better if:"

Side skirt fitment
Trunk lid fitment
Improved stereo
Less reliance on double-sticky and more on actual bolts/pins
IXNAY on the IFTSHAY OBKNAY -- the metal one was discontinued after 05 I'm told, but I'm still dealing with it
Mesh on front lower bumper, in front of radiator (discussed in another thread started by NCPonyGirl)
The PJ Watts Link is getting solid props from those who own them -- I've heard they're making this stock for 08 (rumor?)

All of that said, the #1 improvement I'd dream of is not specific to the car, but to improving the quality of dealer cooperation/knowledge

All of this based on an 05 of course. Others may have more to add...
Old 07-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

My name isnt Saleen... But....

ORIGINAL: AmyVCTexas

Side skirt fitment - I've brought this up, I'm doing a report on it to have it retooled. I'm late with the report. But! If you want to help me, send me pictures of your side skirts as well as your comments on how you feel about them to Jchavez@Saleen.com

Trunk lid fitment

Improved stereo - Not really our cup of tea right now, but we are starting to do some stuff, we are offering an iPod hookup through aftermarket now.

Less reliance on double-sticky and more on actual bolts/pins - Double sided tape is less evil than everyone makes it out to be. You cant use bolts and screws on everything (the top of the sideskirts as an example, or the black out covers on the lights)

IXNAY on the IFTSHAY OBKNAY -- the metal one was discontinued after 05 I'm told, but I'm still dealing with it - I can sell you an 06 shift **** if you want one. We do have them available for a reasonable price.

Mesh on front lower bumper, in front of radiator (discussed in another thread started by NCPonyGirl) - I dont think we have any plans on adding these to the S-series cars. It reduces the flow of air to the heat exchanger. We arent the only company that does this. Look at the Lancer Evolutions for instance, they dont use screens in front of their coolers either. As much as people are afraid of something happening to their heat exchanger I maybe get orders for them once every two months due to a rock or something hitting them. 99% of the time they are ordered is because the car was in a front end collision.

The PJ Watts Link is getting solid props from those who own them -- I've heard they're making this stock for 08 (rumor?) - No, it wont. It is not even available as an option that I know of. Watts-Link will probably remain strictly an aftermarket upgrade, but you can arrange to have it installed before it arrives to the dealership.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:29 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Great question Mike! (you're in Austin, but are you on a clandestine mission in Saleen's employ?) [8D]

I LOVE my car, but a few niggling things that have caused me to say "gee, it would be even better if:"

Side skirt fitment
Trunk lid fitment
Improved stereo
Less reliance on double-sticky and more on actual bolts/pins
IXNAY on the IFTSHAY OBKNAY -- the metal one was discontinued after 05 I'm told, but I'm still dealing with it
Mesh on front lower bumper, in front of radiator (discussed in another thread started by NCPonyGirl)
The PJ Watts Link is getting solid props from those who own them -- I've heard they're making this stock for 08 (rumor?)

All of that said, the #1 improvement I'd dream of is not specific to the car, but to improving the quality of dealer cooperation/knowledge

All of this based on an 05 of course. Others may have more to add...
I do think a lot of Amy's "problems/complaints/suggestions" are strictly 05' things. My stereo is awesome (Shaker 500), it gets compliments all the time from my buddies that hear it. The shifter on my car is fine, then again it is aftermarket but my brother had an 07' GT and I drove that and it felt good to me (don't know if it works the same as Saleens). As far as the sideskirts, one of mine is coming loose [>:]so I need to get the taken care of. Something I will add is the hood fitment. I don't know the exact name of the thing it scratches the top of when closed, but it is on top of those pieces between the grill and headlights.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 AM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

I would work on fabricating lighter components for Saleens to bring the overall weight down. As heavy as Mustangs are now, they are getting to the point where they need obscene amounts of horsepower to stay competitive.

Likewise, this would enhance its overall uniqueness......for the "what's so different about a Saleen conversation?" The reply could then include motor, suspension, interiorand...oh by the way, they weigh 300 pounds less than a GT .

Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 AM
MikeRokkit
1st Gear Member

Ha, Amy. Not so clandestine as maybe an online focus group meeting, huh?

Some of my aftermarket mod plans (besidesa fewengine tweaks) would be to change the side mirror matte finish and get anupgraded radio (branded). If I could make some changes to the standard equipped machine, I'd make the HID standard and do some soundproofing for the interior.

I really enjoy the car and respect the marque. Good stuff!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e

I would work on fabricating lighter components for Saleens to bring the overall weight down. As heavy as Mustangs are now, they are getting to the point where they need obscene amounts of horsepower to stay competitive.

Likewise, this would enhance its overall uniqueness......for the "what's so different about a Saleen conversation?" The reply could then include motor, suspension, interiorand...oh by the way, they weigh 300 pounds less than a GT .
+1,000,000!! That is the best idea to date Mills!!
Old 07-21-2007, 02:27 PM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

My stereo is awesome (Shaker 500), it gets compliments all the time from my buddies that hear it.
Mickey: have you/your buddies lost your mind, or just your hearing? [8D] I have the Shaker 500 and it the poorest excuse for a stock sound system I've had since my 65 Mustang. Not only is the sound mediocre, but the thing skips like a flat rock in a Montana stream. To each his/her own, however: no harm done. If you're happy with it, YAY because it'll save you some upgrade money down the road.

ORIGINAL: MikeRokkit

Ha, Amy. Not so clandestine as maybe an online focus group meeting, huh?

Some of my aftermarket mod plans (besides a few engine tweaks) would be to change the side mirror matte finish and get an upgraded radio (branded). If I could make some changes to the standard equipped machine, I'd make the HID standard and do some soundproofing for the interior.

I really enjoy the car and respect the marque. Good stuff!
Mike: I'm with you on the side view mirrors! Good one! However I wouldn't want HID's so am glad they're an option. And tho it will sound totally contrary to my above whining about the Shaker 500, I also wouldn't want to soundproof the interior. I like to hear Georgia purr/roar depending on the conditions.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:32 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Haha Amy. I think my system sounds very crisp and nice. Maybe the guy that had the car before me upgraded the speakers or something, because it sounds great I think. And being that Georgia is stock, DO NOT soundproof that interior haha. The stock setup is kind of weak...[&:]
Old 07-21-2007, 03:58 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Ok Jared, since you are listening and providing the feedback- all I ask for isfour SIMPLE mods that I'm sure the average Saleen owner wouldn't even noticeas an extra$1000 additional on their sticker price. Not options....STANDARDS:

#1 - Take off the damn valve covers and give them a nice black powder coat finish with a nice yellow SALEEN sticker in the finish.

#2 - Give us a simple CAI kit with a metal higher flowing inlet tube and ditch the hideous looking factory box.

#3 - Take off the cheasy, RUSTY stock exhaust manifolds and put on a nice set of stainless shorties

#4 - For the N/A cars, have adecorative Intake Cover made up that is custome for Saleen (much like the '07 GT's had standard with the pony on it)

Thats all - nothing else

BTW I have to agree with Mickey - the Shaker 500 is the best sounding FACTORY system I have ever owned, and one of the best I've ever heard. I added a MTX ThunderForm (custom molded for the Mustang trunk) with a built in 200W amp and it just rocks now.

Quick Reply: If your name was "Saleen"...