Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Roush vs Saleen vs Gt500

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM
roger1197

Default RE: Roush vs Saleen vs Gt500

Glad I took the time to read through this entire thread, I got my SC281 around 18 months ago & clocked around 8000 miles with some drag strip time. Got my Roush Stage 3 this year & now clocked around 3000 miles with some drag strip time. The SC281 has the JDM stage 2 upgrade with street tune& dyno said 517 hp @ flywheel, the 2 cars are like chalk & cheese, the Roush is a cool car, looks good, sounds awesome, has more than enough power, handles superbly and drives like a dream.
The SC281 on the other hand looks as good etc but is a complete monster to drive with all that power but without theRoush handling capabilities but its addictive.
I have been consideringreplacing the Saleen with a GT500 next year, can't get to drive one though asvery few here, (UK), the few that are here are megga bucks ($100,000 or slightly less).
Seems from your comments in general I would be dissapointed.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:37 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Roger, you have two of the sweetest mustangs around! Dont sell either one especially for a sled with a big engine!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:56 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

I think Polk works for Steeda....
Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
roger1197

Thank you for your reassuringreply,sometimes no matter how cool a car is you get disinterested, even maybe bored.I was expecting something "special" from the Shelby but reading here it seems to be a slouch, Icant get a test drive here because the few that are here are regarded as Golden Icons by the dealers & the prices are outstanding.
The street kids here refer to the Saleen as "well sick"& because I'm an old geezer I was origanally offended but I found out "well sick" means"TOO COOL".
I suppose owning a Shelby means some sort of Status acheivement, badge dollars, the Saleen is wild, on a dryroad with wet tyres from awash I'm spinning rears into 3rd gear.
I have to look atreplacing her thoughsoonbecause we have stringent vehicle laws here in the UKfor vehicles which are 3 years old sonow I think theShelby is a dead horse & the Saleen Extreme is favourite.
Thanks for your support.

roger1197
Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

I'm with Mickey on that one Roger......some awesome cars in the garage you have (to quote Yoda). But, if you have to part with one.....a new Extreme in its place would look great !
Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e
I think Polk works for Steeda....
I wish! They were way ahead of the game for the S197's. Besides, I like to pay for overpriced Saleen stuff too much.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Chuckdoc

Yeah Polk, I followed your point on that one, but it's hard to take in completely in context in the middle of the thread, so I can see why Amy felt the need to explain her point further. It's all good. Roush does have a super forum with fnsweet. I agree that there should be a better centralized forum for Saleen but so far the direct link on Saleen's page only yeilds a cheezy site ( I stopped going there a while back).

So... we knew this would be inflammatory to some extent (subject matter... mine's better, etc... )

I have respect for higher stage Roush's, Blackjack, etc... Those are awesome cars and definitely on par with Saleen offerings. Around here they are a LOT more common on the roads (except the Blackjack). Road course wise it's a drivers race between the fastest set up Roush and Saleen Mustang. I will give a thumbs down on the GT500 however. It makes a bad problem (weight bias) even worse, and no reviewer has ever been very kind to the Shelby in the handling department. It's just a powerful point-n-shoot beast, but it would get owned by the other two on a road race. You can do more with the 5.4 to get crazy numbers (700+ HP), but that's just making a dangerous car more dangerous... The last thing I want on a relatively poor handling car is more power! Perhaps we should be talking in terms of a more balanced vehicle? PJ for the win!!

chuck

Sooner or later, someone will take one and install an aluminum 4V block and address the handling issues and will see what the GT500 is capable of on the track. I would be interested to see the numbers on THAT car.

Jazzer
Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM
SMOKE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PolkThug

hmmm, I think I see what happened here.

My comments were NOT towards 'who likes what' or 'why they like it', my comments were towards why there are very few "Roush people" here and that most "Saleen people" do not understand this and do not know about fnsweet forums which are dedicated to Roush. There is no large Saleen forum like that (I wish there was). The "Roush people" are not "less enthusiastic", etc, they are simply at a better forum for Roush owners.

IMO
PolkThug for president ....... my opinion of you couldn't get higher thanks/praise for the observation.
I missed the direction this thread was headed but, glad to see where it ended up.

Reason being, this sub section is heavily dominated by S197 SALEEN owners and very few ROUSH owners have ventured beyond FNS. I, on the other hand, have been 'out and about' on a lot of forums and you can imgaine the environment for 1 lone ROUSH owner among tens of SALEEN owners. Remeber the comment AMY made about how scary it is outside this sub-section?
So, severnrc ROUSH owners are no more 'adamant' than the SALEEN owners I know, met and ran with. I made comment early, "this place has come a long way" because it did sometimes suck coming on here. Comments like PolkThug's and almost everthing Jazzer writes, make it down right homey.
FNS will always share the love with SALEEN as long as I'm around ... wouldn't stop folks from being proud of their choice but I will come down on rude and disrespect. Obviously, the market is big enough for all of us to share.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:07 PM
smoothy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

Sooner or later, someone will take one and install an aluminum 4V block and address the handling issues and will see what the GT500 is capable of on the track. I would be interested to see the numbers on THAT car.

Jazzer
Yeah, but once you swap out the entire powerplant and do wholesale suspension work, could you still call the car a GT500, apart from the letters on the trunk?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: smoothy

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

Jazzer
Yeah, but once you swap out the entire powerplant and do wholesale suspension work, could you still call the car a GT500, apart from the letters on the trunk?
Good point,but I think you will

Someone will do the above work and it will still be a GT500. I guess I need to continue calling my car a GR-40 Saleen Not trying to be a smart-a** but what makes it a GT500 besides what the VIN says anyway. If you replace it with a steel-sleeved aluminum block of same displacement, it is still a GT500 per VIN.Just like both our cars are "Stangs" according to VIN [8D]

The next question is would it be worth it to do this? Well I guarantee ya someone outthere has the money, has a GT500 and nothin' better to do with all that green!

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Roush vs Saleen vs Gt500