Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

05-07 Saleen S281. What problems have you had?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: 05-07 Saleen S281. What problems have you had?

Resonators - what resonators? The exhaust exits out the center tips full time, and out of the turn-down tips only when the throttle is pressed enough to actuate the valves. No resonators back there.

Isuggest you just bypass the valves....exhaust rattle will be solved. You cannot convince me that those valves will have any impact on torque or hp...if they did then Saleen would have found a way to fix them/design them better rather than nix'ing them on the 2006+ models. All they do is block off the "turn-down" tips which tames the exhaust note under idle and normal driving. Bypass the valves, and they are open full time, no rattle, and the exhaust note is improved dramatically at idle & cruising speeds.

See my stickied post about this fix for the easy how to. Its a matter of minutes to fix it....that or you can attempt to file a warranty claim and deal with all that hassle to get a replacement system that doesn't have the valves [&:]
Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
127shtry127

Old 03-01-2008, 12:22 PM
127shtry127

ORIGINAL: AmyVCTexas

* Passenger side airbag light/sensor doesn't work properly. This is a biggie as it has the potential to kill someone.

Given the seriousness of this issue (has the potential to kill someone) has anybody filed a complaint here : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm ?

Clearly with the number of people that mention the issue on this forum it isn't a one-off problem. I also suspect that the dealers have fed back the complaints to Saleen and from the sounds of it nothing has been done for the consumer. Why not file a claim through NHTSA-that is what they are there for. We pay for the policing service through taxes so you might as well get your monies worth and make your car safe at the same time. Can't imagine ever buying a car where I had the airbag light flickering while driving. My first thought would be "this car has been in an accident and the restraint system is botched up".
Old 03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
redpony07
1st Gear Member

Ok I have a new one!!

Heading to work Thursday morning make a turn and hear a thump kinda like when you run over an aluminum can. I think no biggie just didn't see it and then I try(yes try) to turn into my parking space good thing I am a personal trainer cause it doesn't want to turn!! WTF!

Got parked and popped the hood ....you guessed it shucked the belt so I look out in the street and yep there it is. Pick it up take it in and look at it, looks like it was cut hard to diagnos. Fast forward to the dealership and the fiasco starts( not with the dealership ) the wrench working on my car comes out to get me and says he wants me to take a look at something. We get back to the car and he grabs his flashlight and shines it down on the drivers side idler pulley...WTF! its grooved,.... not supposed to be.

My service writer Craig Ellis who by the way has been great through the whole situation, calls George Lopez Saleen's Cust Service rep( yep thats what I thought) and asks what the deal is according to Craig, George tells him thats the way its supposed to be and thats the right pulley. Well Craig doesn't argue, but being the bright kid he is pulls up the schematic(sp) for the blower kit from Saleen and gets the part number from the Saleen kit...guess what its a guide pulley NO grooves just two raised edges. Then he goes on to order the pulley on his own credit card just so I can get back on the road.

Well hopefully tomorrow I get the car back and sometime in the not too distant future the warranty claim will be paid.

My point is how many of our cars have this problem and will we all get the crappy answer if we try to get it changed.

any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 AM
S281 457

Ferrari uses this technology to 'shutdown' the rear resonators under load. This increases the low-end torque.
Since we ONLY have these rear mufflers, it'd seem a straight-thru system... illegal in VA, who has to know !

Are you saying the opposite is true, the valvesjust turn down the volume at speed / idle ?

Also, in doing this fix, I assume you do NOT have to plug the line going back to the mufflers, just the vacuum to the front ?

Thanks again !
Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 PM
S281 457

Mmm, I'll just assume the muffler side piping can be left un-plugged...
Old 03-05-2008, 04:04 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: 127shtry127

* Passenger side airbag light/sensor doesn't work properly. This is a biggie as it has the potential to kill someone.

Given the seriousness of this issue (has the potential to kill someone) has anybody filed a complaint here : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm ?

Clearly with the number of people that mention the issue on this forum it isn't a one-off problem. I also suspect that the dealers have fed back the complaints to Saleen and from the sounds of it nothing has been done for the consumer. Why not file a claim through NHTSA-that is what they are there for. We pay for the policing service through taxes so you might as well get your monies worth and make your car safe at the same time. Can't imagine ever buying a car where I had the airbag light flickering while driving. My first thought would be "this car has been in an accident and the restraint system is botched up".
This is a FORD issue,NOT a Saleen issue. In fact, Ford just issued a major recall on all the 2005-2008 mustangs for the Passenger Side airbag. Check with your closest Ford dealer for info.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:06 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: S281 457

Mmm, I'll just assume the muffler side piping can be left un-plugged...
As soon as you cut the line, the valves will open up. Plug the tube that leads back up to the front of the car. Plug the other if you wish, but it shouldn't matter. You want those valves open. This exhaust system is nothing like a Ferrari If you look up at the valves you will see they are AFTER the mufflers, and only close of the turn-down tips...which are the major source of that muscular exhaust note
Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 AM
127shtry127

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

ORIGINAL: 127shtry127

This is a FORD issue,NOT a Saleen issue. In fact, Ford just issued a major recall on all the 2005-2008 mustangs for the Passenger Side airbag. Check with your closest Ford dealer for info.
WRONG! The Ford issue has to due with how much force the PAB has when it deploys. The Saleen issue has to due with the new higher density foam and changing the cover from cloth to leather-the sensor meant to detect 53lbs of weight does not get recalibrated to accomodate for the new amount of resistance in the seat before the the sensor detects weight. Roush had the same recall back in 2005-just look up the NHTSA recall document and you will understand. Trust me, if those who have had the issue filled out the NHTSA complaint you'd see a totally seperate recall. It's just a metter of time before Saleen is forced to take responsibility-I assure you they know it's a problem based on people here that have complained but they've chosen to try sweeping it under the rug case by case since they probably can't afford a recall. In my opinion this tarnishes their credibility. At least Roush stood up and took responsibility.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 AM
ScreaminS281
1st Gear Member

I rubbed the chrome off of the s281 fender badges with meguiars extreme shine. I was trying to make the black look better because someone at the dealership got wax on them and it had turned white. I was going to just buy some new ones but after checking, those little suckers are $50+. Also my third brake light is pink. I'll probably just buy a new one and clear coat it before installing it. My passenger side airbag light goes off and on when someone is in the passenger seat including me and I'm 215 pounds. I had to replace the windshield banner because it had acid rain spots from sitting on the car lot for a year and a half.Other than that, I love the car. It turns heads like you would not believe!!

Quick Reply: 05-07 Saleen S281. What problems have you had?