Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Dumb questions about engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

Default Dumb questions about engine

Hi! Hope you-all are amused when I ask dumb questions...

A guy came up to me and asked, "what kind of engine does that thing have?"
I had no idea what he was asking, so I said, "Ford?"

He laughed. But tell me, what exactly was he asking, and how should I answer that? (Just a short sentence that I can commit to memory would be great.)

Also, has anyone ever done a "Dyno Drag Race?" Can an automatic even compete? It doesn't matter how fast you go, but you have to guess your stats before you pull.What kind of stats do you have to guess, and what kind of guesses would I make if I got the nerve to try it?I want to go watch one tomorrow, but don't want to seem like the dumb girl that I am -- I'm trying!!

It's really hard learning all this stuff about cars because websites and magazines always assume you know something to begin with. It's like when my daughter was a baby and I would get frustrated with my husband for not wanting to or being able to dress her. He said that it wasn't fair to fuss at him because I had practice dressing dolls growing up, and he didn't.

Thanks in advance...
Robin
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Dumb questions about engine

Robin - you car is like mine, it has a stock Ford 4.6 liter 3 valve motor in it that has been tweeked and tuned by Saleen for an additional 35 hp over stock. The tweeks are hi-flow air filter, under-drive pulleys and a flash tune along with the MagnaFlow/Saleen custom exhaust. If you answer with that, the guy will look at you like you know your stuff. If he retorts with "why didn't you get a supercharger?" reply with "why is my purchase decision any of your business" or something witty like that [8D]
Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Hi Ponygurl

The guy wanted to know the basics, at least. First of all, you have a V-8 (8 cyliners as opposed to 6 or 4) The more cylinders you have, the more likely you have more horsepower and can go faster (not necessarily, but in general) Next, it is a 2 or 3 valve motor in your model? I don't know what yours is, but I have a 2V (single overhead cam, 2 valves per cylinder~16 total) Next, he would probably love a few juicy tid-bits of mods you may have. Upgraded gears, or superchager. Next he would like your phone number, cuz he thinks your totally hot! [8D]

If you post your VIN in the "sticky" section on "How to tell if it is a real Saleen", Jason or someone will chime in on all your options so you can drop some serious knowledge on the guy and when he is weaving and drunk with attraction to a hot babe in a cool car and brains to boot, you can sign him up for that Husqvarna Viking Platinum Royal Edition and make a killer commision

Jazzer on nosey sew n' sews
Old 02-08-2008, 10:05 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

If you post your VIN in the "sticky" section on "How to tell if it is a real Saleen", Jason or someone will chime in on all your options so you can drop some serious knowledge on the guy
Unfortunately we can only look up info on saleens from 1984-2003.

Jason's got a good suggestion. Tell them it's a 3 valve 4.6L V8 and then give him the numbers. If you have an 05 then it's 325hp and 340 torque. If you have an 06, it's 330hp/340 torque.

That should get you by.

Don't be ashamed that you're not a gearhead yet. I get questions all the time on my car from people that know all about engines and mods and things like that. Just nod, smile, write down what they said, and go look it up later than night. That's what I do!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

Hi Ponygurl

The guy wanted to know the basics, at least. First of all, you have a V-8 (8 cyliners as opposed to 6 or 4) The more cylinders you have, the more likely you have more horsepower and can go faster (not necessarily, but in general) Next, it is a 2 or 3 valve motor in your model? I don't know what yours is, but I have a 2V (single overhead cam, 2 valves per cylinder~16 total) Next, he would probably love a few juicy tid-bits of mods you may have. Upgraded gears, or superchager. Next he would like your phone number, cuz he thinks your totally hot! [8D]

If you post your VIN in the "sticky" section on "How to tell if it is a real Saleen", Jason or someone will chime in on all your options so you can drop some serious knowledge on the guy and when he is weaving and drunk with attraction to a hot babe in a cool car and brains to boot, you can sign him up for that Husqvarna Viking Platinum Royal Edition and make a killer commision

Jazzer on nosey sew n' sews
05+ = 3valve.
Next time when somebody asks you that, just reply "wanna run it?"
Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 PM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

Hi Robin,

I feel your pain! Get the same questions. Some guys genuinely want to know, some guys want to know how much you know, and some guys want your number. It is very difficult to know which is which. I try not to sound too knowledgeable because:

1. The guys who want to know how much you know will continue to ask more and more complex questions until they can make you look like a knucklehead. Nobody likes those guys (and they do it to other guys, not just us gals). They are bullies and one can safely assume have size/performance issues of their own.

2. The guys who want your number really don't care how you answer and some will freak out if they think you know more about cars than they do. The freak-out ones aren't really worth your time anyway so just tell them "it's a black and silvermetal one" and send them on their way.

The guys who are the most fun are the ones who ask how high your speedo goes (I'm assuming they're asking about speedometer and not swimming apparel). As if that is relevant. Just tell those guys that you don't know because you never look at it. [8D]
Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Also, has anyone ever done a "Dyno Drag Race?" Can an automatic even compete? It doesn't matter how fast you go, but you have to guess your stats before you pull.What kind of stats do you have to guess, and what kind of guesses would I make if I got the nerve to try it?I want to go watch one tomorrow, but don't want to seem like the dumb girl that I am -- I'm trying!!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong....but, I believe Dyno Drag Racing is simply how your car dynos (the numbers it produces as well as what the power curve looks like) coupled with modeling applied to see how these numbers translate into a quarter mile time. The only way an auto tranny should hurt you is that it will make relatively less hp than the same car with a manual tranny.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
abbas
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmyVCTexas

Hi Robin,

I feel your pain! Get the same questions. Some guys genuinely want to know, some guys want to know how much you know, and some guys want your number. It is very difficult to know which is which. I try not to sound too knowledgeable because:

1. The guys who want to know how much you know will continue to ask more and more complex questions until they can make you look like a knucklehead. Nobody likes those guys (and they do it to other guys, not just us gals). They are bullies and one can safely assume have size/performance issues of their own.

2. The guys who want your number really don't care how you answer and some will freak out if they think you know more about cars than they do. The freak-out ones aren't really worth your time anyway so just tell them "it's a black and silvermetal one" and send them on their way.

The guys who are the most fun are the ones who ask how high your speedo goes (I'm assuming they're asking about speedometer and not swimming apparel). As if that is relevant. Just tell those guys that you don't know because you never look at it. [8D]
How did Jazzer The Cat go about it?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: abbas

Depends on what you mean by "it". [8D]
Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmyVCTexas
ORIGINAL: abbas
Depends on what you mean by "it". [8D]
Nice! It's been far too long since I've seen some double entendre from Amy.

If I saw a woman driving a Saleen, I think I'd be too awestruck to speak. And yes, my wife is completely ok with that. I think.

If a guy asks about your engine, just say "I'm thinking about dropping in a stroked 302, or 303...whatever it takes." If they get the Mr. Mom reference (25 years ago!), marry 'em.

Quick Reply: Dumb questions about engine