Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

I think I have a lemon! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

I haven't worked with Jess...

I did work closely with Marcus McCammon though.....(at the time, VP of Car and Truck division at Saleen).

Things seemed promising, but my last service of differential noise, Saleen had an about-face and took the stance of "nothing is wrong...the noise is normal".

The programming of the ECU is all jacked up too...the tune is terrible, throttle response is terrible, cruise control still has issues, the hard Saleen seats still prevent my passenger airbag from turning on when it is supposed to with my Fiance in the seat (and yes, I had the FORD recall done). The transmission seems to get sloppier and sloppier, and I Saleen says it's all "normal". BS.

I've driven many (and owned a few) performance cars and none have driven like this extreme. It is un-refined and clumsy.

And to think...Saleen Mustang used to be my dream car.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:26 PM
kcobra
2nd Gear Member

That sucks dude. It's too bad that when we buy something defective it becomes an inconveniance for the consumer. Some people change brands just because of stuff like this. I myself am a die hard ford fan but sometimes the service can suck. Saleen customer service is questionable to begin with. Good Luck.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:39 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kcobra
That sucks dude. It's too bad that when we buy something defective it becomes an inconveniance for the consumer. Some people change brands just because of stuff like this. I myself am a die hard ford fan but sometimes the service can suck. Saleen customer service is questionable to begin with. Good Luck.
well now lets look at what we have hear, yes we have someone who is fed up with all the problems with his E , and rightfully so, but!!! his problems started back when saleen had questionable customer service practices, i to have had issues but mine are recent and hence the difference in the results , saleen wants to stay in the game !!! they have lowered overhead and cleaned house of some people that were a big salary burden, they are putting out an even better product now , but to say ther cars are unrefined would be an attack on ford not saleen , you see our cars are of a retro design hence forth heavy, non aero dynamic, and somewhat raw , but!! this is what it is , you want new technology buy a ZO6 !! i for one have had many vettes including a ZO6 two vipers lotus espirt turbos the list goes on , i wanted a four seat car and wanted something different thats why i wanted the E ive yet to see another on the road , gt500 cars are a dime a dozen now, its nice to have something unique, as far as all the issues with his car i to would be upset and understand his feeling but if he was to give saleen another shot believe me he would see results.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 AM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

I love the optimism. Thanks for the encouragement that Saleen is turning things around. I am glad many other folks are having good service experiences with them.

We'll see how mine turns out...they will have to work harder to earn my business next time around...otherwise I will buy the SMS 2010 mustang.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 AM
kcobra
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sftdyna
well now lets look at what we have hear, yes we have someone who is fed up with all the problems with his E , and rightfully so, but!!! his problems started back when saleen had questionable customer service practices, i to have had issues but mine are recent and hence the difference in the results , saleen wants to stay in the game !!! they have lowered overhead and cleaned house of some people that were a big salary burden, they are putting out an even better product now , but to say ther cars are unrefined would be an attack on ford not saleen , you see our cars are of a retro design hence forth heavy, non aero dynamic, and somewhat raw , but!! this is what it is , you want new technology buy a ZO6 !! i for one have had many vettes including a ZO6 two vipers lotus espirt turbos the list goes on , i wanted a four seat car and wanted something different thats why i wanted the E ive yet to see another on the road , gt500 cars are a dime a dozen now, its nice to have something unique, as far as all the issues with his car i to would be upset and understand his feeling but if he was to give saleen another shot believe me he would see results.
I'm just going with the feedback I hear from other owners out there at events like FFW. I own a 2001 and love it except for the wheel peeling stuff and body kit that is as wavy as my mother-in-laws assets! It is still an awesome car and I would never stray to a POS Corvette. I couldn't afford to even if I wanted to.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by severnrc
I haven't worked with Jess...

I did work closely with Marcus McCammon though.....(at the time, VP of Car and Truck division at Saleen).

Things seemed promising, but my last service of differential noise, Saleen had an about-face and took the stance of "nothing is wrong...the noise is normal".

The programming of the ECU is all jacked up too...the tune is terrible, throttle response is terrible, cruise control still has issues, the hard Saleen seats still prevent my passenger airbag from turning on when it is supposed to with my Fiance in the seat (and yes, I had the FORD recall done). The transmission seems to get sloppier and sloppier, and I Saleen says it's all "normal". BS.

I've driven many (and owned a few) performance cars and none have driven like this extreme. It is un-refined and clumsy.

And to think...Saleen Mustang used to be my dream car.

Get JDM to custom tune your car -- that should resolve all ECU issues.

Get an aftermarket diff (it will cost you some $$$, but not much compared to the purchase price of your ride).

I don't know what to say about the transmission. What do you mean by sloppy? I've seen reports of E transmissions literally not installed correctly (missing or loose bolts, etc.). Maybe have an independent transmission shop take a look at it??
Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 AM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by elburrito99
Get JDM to custom tune your car -- that should resolve all ECU issues.

Get an aftermarket diff (it will cost you some $$$, but not much compared to the purchase price of your ride).

I don't know what to say about the transmission. What do you mean by sloppy? I've seen reports of E transmissions literally not installed correctly (missing or loose bolts, etc.). Maybe have an independent transmission shop take a look at it??

By "sloppy" i mean the feeling and noise that happens when i have it in any gear, and when i slightly push on the throttle and get back off the throttle, it sounds like the gears in the transmission are "loose" and clunk back and forth 3 or 4 times...the car also has small surges when this happens.