Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen Extreme Warranty disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 AM
abbas
3rd Gear Member

Default Saleen Extreme Warranty disappointment

When I bought my Saleen Extreme, the dealership told me that the transmission and engine have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty and the rest of the car has 36 months/36,000 mile. Presently my car is 18 months with about 20k miles. I find out that I have a hole in my muffler. In the rear of the car, where one of the hangers attaches to the muffler has rusted out and detached from the muffler.

I took the car to the dealership and they tried getting approval for a new muffler. Sad to say, I was turned down. I personally called Saleen to talk about it. They informed that anything that Saleen has placed in the car only has 12 month/12,000 mile warranty and all the Ford parts have the 36 month/36,000 mile warranty. I just dont understand why if the car seats, gauges, muffler, exhaust,.... are all the same as the 3-valve and SC, why the warranty is so much less. It is the exact same parts. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Extreme Warranty disappointment

Good point.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
desant89
2nd Gear Member

I guess it is the fact of the more stress being put on those same parts. I mean the 550 HP vs the 435 or 465, and the assumption that if you buy an extreme, you are more likely to go fast in it. However, Saleen as a company is kind of saying they do not trust their own setup which is really weak. No way they should be able to give less of a warranty on that! a Z06 has the same warranty as a regualar Vette!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: desant89

I guess it is the fact of the more stress being put on those same parts. I mean the 550 HP vs the 435 or 465, and the assumption that if you buy an extreme, you are more likely to go fast in it. However, Saleen as a company is kind of saying they do not trust their own setup which is really weak. No way they should be able to give less of a warranty on that! a Z06 has the same warranty as a regualar Vette!

mm....Mufflers would not have a shorter life because of a S/C or forced induction. That's like saying your P/S failed because of your 3.73 ratio.

Simple matter though. The warranty was stated, you agreed to it when you bought the car. If it was a concern or you were worried about it, the OP should've gotten an extended warranty. Although...for a muffler it would cost more for the warranty vs just buying a new aftermarket pair.

But, with only 20K on the car I wonder if in this case an extended warranty would have been worth it.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

I've yet to find anyone that offers extended warranties on the Saleen-modified portions of our cars.

If anyone knows of one, though, please post something. I'd be interested since I'm coming up on the end of my 3-year warranty soon.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM
desant89
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

[

mm....Mufflers would not have a shorter life because of a S/C or forced induction. That's like saying your P/S failed because of your 3.73 ratio.

Simple matter though. The warranty was stated, you agreed to it when you bought the car. If it was a concern or you were worried about it, the OP should've gotten an extended warranty. Although...for a muffler it would cost more for the warranty vs just buying a new aftermarket pair.

But, with only 20K on the car I wonder if in this case an extended warranty would have been worth it.
[/quote]

My statement was just regarding the warranty being different. I think no matter what the OP might of have had,the problem being a muffler would probably not of have been covered unless something else obviously caused the failure. To me, it is odd that the warranty is different on the two cars. I mean the engine is forged, and they are tuned accordingly. Why not stand behind all of that like they do with the regular SC?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:54 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Simple matter though. The warranty was stated, you agreed to it when you bought the car.
This is true and perfectly logical.

On the other hand, it wouldn't kill them to give him a friggin muffler. I mean, $150 vs. unhappy customer with 2 year old $70-80k car, you know, maybe they could bend the rules a little...
Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

hey abbas I am assuming you took it to capital ford? I went to talk to mike a few days ago at TPS and he told me about the letter you sent to saleen about capital and wanting him (mike) to do the warranty work instead of capital. Im thinking about getting all my factory problems fixed (exhaust rattle, brake sqeak, etc.) done soon and I guess my only option is to take it to capital since mike isnt allowed to do the saleen warranty work yet. I may send another complaint email to saleen about capital ford and recommend mike for the warranty work. Any other suggesstions before I head over to Capital on friday? Ill probably have them write down the miles on it so they dont joy ride it like they did to yours. It is also pretty lame that the extreme has a different warranty plan then even the sc or 3v. Too bad we dont have a better authorized saleen dealer around here
Old 07-25-2008, 08:47 PM
abbas
3rd Gear Member

Funny thing about saying that I agreed to the warranty... actually I didnt. Granted I didn't read the warranty manual for Saleen but the dealership people told me that everything is 36 month/36,000 mile except the tranny and engine.When I told this to the Saleen warranty rep, he literally laughed andtold me to ask the sales guy (that sold me my car) to pay for my muffler... [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] All those guys have quit and moved on. More or less I am SOL.

But in reality, you would figure that if you pay $70+k for a car, it would be nice get better warranty. Hindsight, I wish I would have bought the SC and upgraded it to the 550 hp as the warranty would still apply to all the parts. Expensive lessons learned for my next car.

David - I am going toPM you regarding Capitol Ford.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Curz
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: abbas

Funny thing about saying that I agreed to the warranty... actually I didnt. Granted I didn't read the warranty manual for Saleen but the dealership people told me that everything is 36 month/36,000 mile except the tranny and engine.When I told this to the Saleen warranty rep, he literally laughed andtold me to ask the sales guy (that sold me my car) to pay for my muffler... [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] All those guys have quit and moved on. More or less I am SOL.

But in reality, you would figure that if you pay $70+k for a car, it would be nice get better warranty. Hindsight, I wish I would have bought the SC and upgraded it to the 550 hp as the warranty would still apply to all the parts. Expensive lessons learned for my next car.

David - I am going toPM you regarding Capitol Ford.
Saleen has a serious management problem IMO. Im not talking about the lower/mid level guys but the fact is that Saleen
is terrible with after sales service. The delears get screwed too because Saleen doesnt pay for warranty work on the same
level Ford does..ie- labor times for repairs. They sell you a car at a premium price and then dont provide the service you would expect. I have dealt with some good guys at Saleen so again I think its an upper management and leadership problem and not the
workerbees. Theres a local dealer here who stopped selling Saleens now and this is certainly a part of it. They **** off their own dealers.

Quick Reply: Saleen Extreme Warranty disappointment