Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

2004 saleen s281sc convertible modification help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM
moehorse

Originally Posted by Yellow Fever
Where do you live. I would have just flown down and picked it up.
It's more fun that way.
i would of drove but its 2400 miles im in calgary alberta canada above montana.it would of been the same price with hotel,gas,flight,food.i just did not want to put those miles on my car & risk rock chips ect.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

I live in Grande Prairie. So I know what you mean. Check out Zero to 60 in Calgary
@ 403-237-0260 Tim is the owner. And he does amazing work. Tell him Mike referred you.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:57 PM
C.Saleen
2nd Gear Member

Default 6-Speed

As far as Saleen using 6-speeds in there cars, it is infact true, and was alway an option you could request, As fas as i rember up untill 03 they used a Borg-Warner 6-speed, so if i rember right all 02 E's got a 6 Speed Borg, as well as all S281's that requested the 6 speed were given the borg also. Some where in 03 they started using the T56 from Tremec, which is used in Corvettes, Vipers, Camaros, Trans Am, Cobra, although the GM products have a 2.63 first geart compared to a 2.90 in the Ford products.

As far as mods the wipple is capiable of excess 400rwhp. Some places you could start would be

1. Samller pulley
2. Cold Air system (I recomned JLt)
3. An x-pipe with or with out cats (Bassani is Nice)
4. Going to need a larger fuel pump (best way to go is the 03/04 Cobra duel fuel Pump steup with 03/04 tank, do it and once and be done with it)
5. Larger Mass Air ( sct or others 90mm +)
6. Throttle Body ( I recomnd Acfuab)
7. Tune (this is most important and is imperitave to keep you engine together)

In the futre you could add a larger heat exchanger and a better Intercooler, which in turn would aloow your tuner to add more timing, and in mod motors timing is power.

Any questions Ask, where here to help !
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
moehorse

well i just got back drove her to the rail depot put on 400 mile but what a blast to drive.
the only problem i was having is that at low rpm i cant shift into 2nd from 1st or into 3rd.
but at higher rpm it shifts fine into every gear.no grinding or anything it is a 6spd.does anyone know what that is?could it be the clutch cable?even when im at the stop light i try to go threw gears and it only go into 1st 4th reverse 6th 5th

Last edited by moehorse; 09-01-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Congrats on your new ride, I'm sure you will enjoy her

The shifting issue sounds like incorrectly adjusted clutch cable. If it is not completely disengaging, it will be difficult to shift until RPM's get up a bit. Best way to confirm is get it up on a lift and remove the clutch-cable inspection cover on trans. Have someone oporate the clutch and see if the bearing completely releases from pressure plate.

Jazzer
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 AM
moehorse

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ Congrats on your new ride, I'm sure you will enjoy her

The shifting issue sounds like incorrectly adjusted clutch cable. If it is not completely disengaging, it will be difficult to shift until RPM's get up a bit. Best way to confirm is get it up on a lift and remove the clutch-cable inspection cover on trans. Have someone oporate the clutch and see if the bearing completely releases from pressure plate.

Jazzer
Thank you my baby gets here on friday cant wait.does any one know what short shifter will work on my car?or how to find out exacly what 6 speed i have?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moehorse
Thank you my baby gets here on friday cant wait.does any one know what short shifter will work on my car?or how to find out exacly what 6 speed i have?
An MGW seems to be one of the more popular short shifters to put on. There are a couple others out there but I can't think of them at the moment.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

As fas as i rember up untill 03 they used a Borg-Warner 6-speed, so if i rember right all 02 E's got a 6 Speed Borg, as well as all S281's that requested the 6 speed were given the borg also.

Colby....I just had a T-56 spec stage 3 clutch installed in mine. Maybe production varied some in 02, but the Extremes I know of had T-56's.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:15 AM
moehorse

Originally Posted by mills281e
Colby....I just had a T-56 spec stage 3 clutch installed in mine. Maybe production varied some in 02, but the Extremes I know of had T-56's.
today i put on the off road x pipe while it was on the hoist i saw on the tranny said tremac?does that help?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 AM
moehorse

Originally Posted by eviligloo
My stock rwhp was 307 with the series II supercharger (yours should be a tiny bit more...but not too much). Not all tunes from saleen are bad. Mine was actually pretty strong.

For your car I'd recommend a couple of products:

1. JLT cold air intake (works with the 03-04 saleens) jlttruecoldair.com
2. Upgraded throttle body (I have a 75mm....don't know of anyone off the top of my head running a bigger one than that). Accufab or BBK are pretty good.
3. Chicane 66mm pulley and SVT focus fuel pump (both need to be done together)
4. SCT custome tune. I'd call SCT directly and ask for a recommendation on a good tuner in your area. Pay extra money for a good tuner so you have a safe tune.

Based on those I listed above...you'd probably have to upgrade your MAF as well. 90mm MAF or Diablosport MaFiA would take care of that.

As mentioned...you'll need to have it custom tuned if you switch out things like the pulley, cold air intake, etc.
is it a must to do the fuel pump if i change the pulley?

Quick Reply: 2004 saleen s281sc convertible modification help