Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

WTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
00 425 SALEEN
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Gen 1 blower is just an M90 right?
Yes. But to only make 294hp is weak. I realize Casey said that the intake is whack but it cant be 294hp whack...

BTW the SC was factory, I just added the rest of the goods.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Good deal. Let us know what happens!

Casey
Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Originally Posted by eviligloo
Hey casey....did they improve things greatly for the series II or would you make the same statement for it as well......"hard to make good hp."

Does the series IV really improve it that much? It's only a couple more HP gain than both the series I and II.

Sorry to divert the conversation......00 425 saleen.....try casey's recommendation....but ultimately if it doesn't work out i'd get another recommendation and take it to another tuner to check it out.

Also...did they put in a wideband O2 sensor to monitor the A/F ratio? Where are the monitoring it at?

#1 No and Yes.

#2 The series 4 is a whipple head unit 1.6L. The 03-04 E cars had a 2.3L version. Much better blower, but the same basic manifold and intercooler has series 1 & 2.

Botton line, if you want to make Good HP on a 2V with a PD blower, buy a KB

Casey
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00 425 SALEEN
What's baseline? Sorry I'm a noOb with 4.6L engines.
I re-gaped my plugs to.035 and it feels a little better. I ran out of time, but I'm gonna change out the fuel filter next then take it to another tuner.
Evil, they put the O2 sensor at the H-pipe on the left side.
I bet with the re-gapping of plugs and a few extra degrees of timing and another tune I should be ok... I hope.
Dyno it yet??
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
00 425 SALEEN
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PolkThug
Dyno it yet??

Not yet. I'm going through some rough patches at home so I've been putting it off. But I did get the number of a couple of other tuners in my area.

I gapped the plugs at .035 and replaced my fuel filter. I took a temp reading of the intercooler water at the tank after driving around and the highest it got was 87-89 degrees.

I noticed that engine knocks when I accelerate sometimes, especially in 5th gear.
Doesn't that only occur when the timing is too advanced?

Last edited by 00 425 SALEEN; 09-23-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00 425 SALEEN
Not yet. I'm going through some rough patches at home so I've been putting it off. But I did get the number of a couple of other tuners in my area.

I gapped the plugs at .035 and replaced my fuel filter. I took a temp reading of the intercooler water at the tank after driving around and the highest it got was 87-89 degrees.

I noticed that engine knocks when I accelerate sometimes, especially in 5th gear.
Doesn't that only occur when the timing is too advanced?
knocking occurs anytime pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside of the normal combustion timing...I dont believe it matters too much if the timing is too retarded or advanced, it could be either that causes knocking or detonation. I know that under detonation, you want to enrich the fuel supply (ie octane booster) to increase combustion temps
Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM
magden auto

In regards to your "knocking", you want to do a few things. One is, yes, if it is under boost you want to check the timing. If it is too advanced, that will cause it. Most fuel management systems start retarding the timing when under boost. Watch out for systems that just throw more fuel at it and hope it doesn't detonate.

Second, if you are running lean, then enriching the fuel mixture actually LOWERS the combustion temps, keeping the mix cooler and not letting it explode before it should.

There are many variables to look at. Another cause is carbon buildup on the piston top or valves. The clumps of carbon retain heat, just enough to ignite the fuel and air when there is compression, kinda like a diesel engine.

As for octane, that is the additive to resist combustion upon compression. The higher the octane rating, the higher compression you can go without the mixture lighting off before the spark. That's why some people run X amount of boost on pump gas (91 octane) and then run X+ boost on race gas (100 octane or whatever they use). The engines are mapped according to what kind of fuel they use.

The last thing is some vehicle have knock sensors onboard. Once the ECU detects "knock" it retards the timing to eliminate it. It works, but you should stay away from knocking in the first place. A wideband lambda and EGT sensor would be best to use to see how your engine is running.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:12 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by magden auto
Second, if you are running lean, then enriching the fuel mixture actually LOWERS the combustion temps, keeping the mix cooler and not letting it explode before it should.
Seeing as how you capitilized that to try and show that I was incorrect, you should read up on what you think detonation is...heres an article on how using higher octane INCREASES the combustion temps... Nice try though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Last edited by 06Saleen3V; 09-29-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
magden auto

Ok, checked out the link and saw this...

...enriching the fuel/air ratio, which adds extra fuel to the mixture and increases the cooling effect when the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder; reducing peak cylinder pressure by increasing the engine revolutions (e....

More fuel make it burn cooler. Less fuel causes it to lean out, raising temperatures. Have you seen or used an EGT gauge? Before widebands were widely available, more tuners (turbo or supercharger applications) used EGT gauges to watch for the lean condition and obviously avoid detonation.

Octane is an additive to gasoline to raise the fuels ability to resist combustion upon compression. Yes, if you raise pressures, you will have an increase in temperature. If you have the correct amount of Octane, you won't detonate.

In his example, with such a low RPM, 5th gear, with load, probably 1 or 2psi, he's knocking like most vehicles with carbon build up.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:45 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

It seems like we were talking about two different things here. I was talking about combustion temperatures and you were talking about the cooling effect as it relates to enriching the fuel/air mixture. Sorry for being blunt earlier, not having the best day

Quick Reply: WTF