Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

LFP Heat Exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Igloo....your 1 - 14 step guide to putting in your own heat exchanger is classic. This could probably double for any DIY job.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am completely thrown by the dual step 4's.... ? Should I do step 4/2 first or 4/1 second?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

So here are the results of the install. I'm all finished with the heat exchanger. I just have to wait to get the Supertank in and I'll post pictures when that's finished.

As per any good installation....I ended up with 1 extra part. I decided that one of the fans didn't need a 4th screw because it was pretty secure as it was with just 3. Besides that...I didn't want to tempt fate and put another screw into the fins of the heat exchanger. It's scary driving those screws into your nice new part!

They should have made it easier and pre-drilled holes for everything. I got lucky and sight-lined up all the holes and was successful with 2 out of 3 holes. I tried to drill a new hole for the third one (big mistake....it's near impossible to drill a new hole into the underside of this car) and then realized I just needed to loosen the other 2 screws and I could wiggle it into position.

The result:

Before

After:

Did you notice how I made the first picture look all ratty with bugs and dirt and then skewed the results by presenting a nice clean car with a pretty new heat exchanger? Just like in the commercials!

Here's the comparison:

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Mikie

Hey guys,
I was browsing doing the google thing. I was searching for details of someone installing both the LFP HE and reservoir on thier saleen.

I just received both of mine and I didnt get any instructions. Now by reading my signature you see I have a Kenne Bell setup with thier heat exchanger and tiny *** reservoir.

My KB HE has brackets on top and bottom that bolt to tabs on the frame. I take it with the LFP HE you do not need these brackets because it does not have any bolt tabs welded onto it. Can one of you shoot me a photo of how to mount this bad boy? as I received no instructions, no hardware , no nothing with it.
Will my rubber coolant hoses just slide over the LFP fittings on the HE ? they look like they are threaded An fittings.

Next onto the reservoir.
I guess this thing was made for a Cobra to begin. Here is my problem. With the KB blower, it has a bracket that flips the alternator around and that puts it in the way of mounting the reservoir in the cobras location. I may wind up having to do a battery relocation and put it over in that spot.

If any one of you can help me with close up photos or encouragement before I start this , it would be greatly appreciated.

First time poster...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Responses below:

Originally Posted by Mikie

I just received both of mine and I didnt get any instructions. The heat exchanger from LFP doesn't come with any instructions or have any holes drilled in it. It also comes with no hardware...just the heat exchanger. You reuse the hardware from the previously installed heat exchanger. I believe in this case it might be a little different from you since you started off N/A and therefore don't have any pre-drilled holes.

My KB HE has brackets on top and bottom that bolt to tabs on the frame. Could you post a picture of the KB heat exchanger? How does it differ from the Saleen Heat Exchanger (pictured above in black). Does the LFP Exchanger you were sent look like the saleen one I got (pictured in silver above)? There is a lip that runs all the way across the top which is where you mount the screws to hold the H/E in place. The bottom portion also has a lip where you can bolt a bracket on.

Can one of you shoot me a photo of how to mount this bad boy? I'll see if I can crawl under my car and shoot a couple of photos tonight.

Will my rubber coolant hoses just slide over the LFP fittings on the HE ? they look like they are threaded An fittings. The LFP fittings on the end are threaded. The hoses I have from saleen are threaded as well and simply screw on. I might consider swapping out your hoses so you don't have an intercooler leak. I don't know if that would work to just slide a hose over the nozzles.

Next onto the reservoir.
I guess this thing was made for a Cobra to begin. Here is my problem. With the KB blower, it has a bracket that flips the alternator around and that puts it in the way of mounting the reservoir in the cobras location. I may wind up having to do a battery relocation and put it over in that spot. Post a picture of your engine bay from a couple of angles and we may be able to help.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Update: Ordered the LFP Supertank on 9/17 and am STILL waiting for it to be delivered a month later.

I was promised that it would be powdercoated 2 weeks ago and be at my door by midway last week. Now I called and LFP said that it would be another 10 days before they even powdercoat it.

Unbelievable.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:15 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

HELP! Stangking....how in the world did you mount the red and black wires in the new supertank configuration. I thought this was supposed to be a 15 minute job to swap out the tanks....but mounting the wires isn't even recognizable! It doesn't even look CLOSE to how they have the old tank configured. There's a propeller looking thing at the bottom of the tank and I have no idea what to do with it.

Thanks for no instructions, LFP. What was supposed to take "15 minutes" has taken over 3 hours thus far. I have NO clue how to attach either of the wires because everything looks really really REALLY different.

Because of this I'm going to miss a cruise tomorrow and I'm really P****D off. That and I ordered the tank in the middle of SEPTEMBER and it just got here.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:33 PM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

the propeller looking thing is just a drain...spin it closed...the red and black wires are for a sensor...you are not going to have now... make sure your tank is for a Saleen..Does it have threads on the nipples?? I ask because they sent me one for a Cobra and it didnt... Next you may or may not (depends if you changed your overflow tank) notch the holes in the support brace...I hope this makes sense. I'll take a pic. tomorrow for u.. but yeah its a pain..the hoses barely reach.. and yeah they took about almost 3-4 months to get mines...
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

The award for most critical information communicated with unbelievable timing goes to: Stangking! Thank you!!!!!!

I got your message saturday morning after I woke up early. I ran around like a crazy person trying to get everything installed and fixed before the cruise. So i capped the red wire and finished the install and then realized one of my hoses was leaking. So I went out it search for a new hose and came up short. After an hour and a half of searching shops I went back to try it a couple more times. It turns out there was some debris/rust in the threads that wouldn't allow it to seal properly. I got everything started up and managed to make the cruise at a later stop.

THANKS STANGKING!!!

PS- For anyone considering on doing this mod that has it supercharged from the factory: note that what stangking said is true. It didn't hit me until I saw it....but you lose the intercooler temperature gauge installed on your dash (it doesn't work anymore). I might get the temperature sensor installed in the new tank because it feels weird seeing the gauge at 0.

PSS- How many people would remove something from your car....see some wires dangling...and think "I shouldn't hook these up to anything." It's ridiculous that neither the heat exchanger nor the supertank come with ANY instructions or guidelines. I mean....the old intercooler tank has a sensor and 2 wires that you don't even use in the new tank. Would've been nice if LFP had told me that.

PSSS- Pictures will be posted soon.

Last edited by eviligloo; 11-03-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Finally got around to snapping a quick picture of the Supertank all installed.

The angle of the camera kinda makes the tank look a little crooked. Some of that is because of the hard-shelled airbox surrounding the filter to the left and some of that is the way I held the camera. The torktech intake should fix that.

Note that this one isn't the standard one they offer. This is the optional black powdercoated one.

....and yes I realize my engine bay is dirty!

Quick Reply: LFP Heat Exchanger