Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Clutch Question for Stangking or Mills...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch Question for Stangking or Mills...

...or anyone else that happens to know. Is the clutch for the 02-04 extremes the same one they put in the N/A and S/C (which is to say...the stock GT one)?

Just curious if they used a heavier clutch for the extremes like what they put in the terminator cobras. All the cobras I've driven have that clutch that takes quite a bit of force to push down.

So mills or stangking.....do you need a strong left leg to shift your cars?

Last edited by eviligloo; 10-14-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Igloo....yep, they put a more robust 11 inch McLeod with an aluminum flywheel in the Extremes. Took a bit of effort to push down, but not crazy. The Spec Stage 3 I had put in is about the same as the McLeod was regarding pedal effort.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 PM
C.Saleen
2nd Gear Member

Default clutch

Originally Posted by eviligloo
...or anyone else that happens to know. Is the clutch for the 02-04 extremes the same one they put in the N/A and S/C (which is to say...the stock GT one)?

Just curious if they used a heavier clutch for the extremes like what they put in the terminator cobras. All the cobras I've driven have that clutch that takes quite a bit of force to push down.

So mills or stangking.....do you need a strong left leg to shift your cars?
02 E's used a Borg Warner T56, im told some also came with a Tremec T56, 03-04 E's should have come with a Tremec T56 (same as 03-04 Cobra 10spline input) either way an E will have a 6 speed, which is going to give you a different fealing than a Tremec 3650 5 speed. (Which should be in your car)
Also im pretty sure the T56 uses an 11' clutch compared to i believe 10' in the 5 speed im not postive on that though. I have had quite a few transmission and clutch combos, and by far the Mcloud is the best, as far as grip and ease of pedel, but keep in mind when changing the clutch in a mustang, Its always recomended to change out the plastic pedel quadrant, and add an adjuster on the firewall, and most time's i replace the cabel with another stock cabel from Ford, as they tend to stretch over time. But you need to make sure the cabel is not binding up that will kill the feel also.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
C.Saleen
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mills281e
Igloo....yep, they put a more robust 11 inch McLeod with an aluminum flywheel in the Extremes. Took a bit of effort to push down, but not crazy. The Spec Stage 3 I had put in is about the same as the McLeod was regarding pedal effort.
Ive had teribble luck with Spec clutches, they have went out of bussiness 2x, they were known as Star clutches before going out and comming back as Spec. I would stay far away from there stuff, its hit or miss with them, some times you get a good one some times you get a crap one. Stick with Mcloud, there the best and Ive never heard of any problems whit so ever with them. Also an Aluminum flywheel is going to affect pedel effort as its lighter and spins eayer reducing rotating weight and mass. Im not a huge fan of Aluminum flywheel sometimes they spin way to fast giving a bad affect of the pedel and relase.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 PM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

UUUmm yeah..what they said....lol.. I'm not too sure what I have in her..clutch wise,I dont know if the old owner changed it before...never had any problems with it yet...but when I do get stuck in traffic, my foot feels it..lol
Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangKing
UUUmm yeah..what they said....lol.. I'm not too sure what I have in her..clutch wise,I dont know if the old owner changed it before...never had any problems with it yet...but when I do get stuck in traffic, my foot feels it..lol
Good to know. That was the only thing that stopped me from getting an 04 cobra awhile ago. My wife couldn't push down the clutch (she's small).

Looks like it would stop me if I ever considered getting an E in the future as well!