Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Vacuum operated butterflies in the exhaust rusted open.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Vacuum operated butterflies in the exhaust rusted open.

I've been spraying these things with liquid wrench all day, but it looks like someone pulled the vacuum line and the butterflies are stuck in the open position.

I'd really like for the exhaust to function properly.

Any suggestions?

Car's an 05 with 36k on it. I'm REALLY surprised to see this kind of rust anywhere on the car.

Pics to follow.

Last edited by Big Top Gt; 12-04-2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Fixing the title.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 AM
JessA

You are much better off with them stuck open, that way they don't rattle like crazy. Someone probably pulled the vacuum lines and plugged them and somehow locked the butterflies open. The exhaust is now operating properly. Ford put butterflies in the exhaust for 05 only and then realized it only caused problems (Noise) no perfomance increase. So Ford and in turn Saleen got rid of them for 06. I would not worry about it at all, leave them the way they are. The only thing you might want to do is remove the vacuum lines all together and replace the hose that it ties into, just to avoid any future vacuum leaks.

Jess
Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. You're the second or third person to say basically the same thing.

It's got a screw in the vacuum line, but the weird thing is it's a metal tube with rubber on both ends.

It's a great idea, though. Too bad it's got typical Ford quality behind it.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
JessA

It was a good idea in theory and on paper, just not so much in reality.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

You can get it on a Corvette with the NPP exhaust option.

There's no reason for it to rattle other than poor quality. I had an electronic cutout on my Camaro forever and it never rattled.

I wish Ford would sit down with me for a few hours and let me fix them.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Ford never had / used this set up. As stated, only Saleen in 05'. They are basically vac. operated heat riser valves.
If I recall, the exhaust was built by Borla. Once they dropped the valves, they went to magnaflow.

Vacuum source....Saleen ran aluminum tubing down the car and connected the valves with rubber hose.....at intake manifold/brake booster and at the valves.

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/saleen/05Slnexhaust.jpg

Casey
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HaneyMotorsport.Com
Ford never had / used this set up. As stated, only Saleen in 05'. They are basically vac. operated heat riser valves.
I read an article on the '08 S302E that states the cars use a similar setup

"The Extreme continues Saleen's habit of providing the exhaust with two outlets. The first is under the car, a set of dump tubes mounted right at the end of the mufflers, which are in the standard S197 location. These dump tubes are not visible to casual observers. At high engine outputs, a valve opens an additional set of tailpipes terminating at the visible center-outlet exhaust tips. This dual exit design reduces backpressure when it counts, aiding power when the supercharger is doing its thing."

Is the author just getting mixed up with 05's, or do the S302E's really use this butterfly setup?

[EDIT:] I just looked at the pic that Casey posted, and that looks to be the opposite setup to what the author of the article is describing. The pic clearly shows the butterflys on the "dump tubes", but the author talks about butterflys on the center exhaust exits...

Chris.

Last edited by ctann; 12-05-2008 at 01:38 PM.