Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

When a 2006 S281E is not extreme enough.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

I'd really like to see the locations of your turbos.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:30 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

Was the ford GT block from FRPP available when you were looking?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7799

although...you would have had to change everything else too
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Sweet project! Do you still have the stock UCA? (sorry if I missed it in a previous post)
Old 01-04-2009, 12:35 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Still have the stock UCA. What benefits could I get with changing them? The Ford GT block was available and I was VERY interested, BUT the cost was huge. I would have to sell and buy EVERYTHING. I'm sure the power would have been huge, but I just couldn't afford that much. Remember the turbo kit I received a really good deal on. The kit was meant for a 4.6 3v not a 5.4 4 valve. The 5.0 magazine had some pics and you could also check google for the heritage twin turbo kit for pics. I will try to post some pics of everything once I finish the car.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Now once the turbo kit was installed and somewhat tuned we realized we were working with a lot of back pressure. As you know turbos hate back pressure and we already knew the stock exhaust on the car was going to be a problem. Anything over 500RWHP the exhaust should be changed out. The exhaust on the E cars is VERY restictive. Since the turbo kit already came with an O/R h-pipe so we needed to upgrade the tubing from 2.5" to 3" and change the mufflers to hi flow mufflers. Since the car comes stock with magnaflow and we loved the way the car sounded we decided to give magnaflow a call for the parts. Sure enough they just released a kit for the new cobra's that would work. ONLY problem is the valves in our stock exhaust create more back pressure so we had to get rid of these but I did not want to loose the center exhaust. So we decided to keep the center tips and weld them to the new mufflers. When the car is on the lift you can not tell they are not part of the exhaust. The only way you can tell is when the car is turned on and the smoke only comes from underneath the car. This helped free up some extra horsepower and kept the sound of the car where it should be. A nice low rumble. At idle the car still sounds stock. Even after all the work done to her. When you go WOT or you smash your foot on the gas the car gets angry quick. All the tubing was 300 series stainless steel but elbows had to be made and the hangers had to be relocated. Some welding was done to get everything to work and fit properly. Of course I will work on a sound clip so you guys can listen. The car sounds sooooo good I never turn the radio on. Just like to put the windows down and listen to the exhaust.

Well here we are at the moment everyone has been waiting for. How does the car drive. Absolutely terrible. After spending all of this money and wasting all of this time I can say a blower and turbo setup does not work. Choose one or the other. Not both. I guess you can say some lessons are not learned until you try them out. I will post another review once the car is finished. Should be done by the end of January.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 AM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S281 E
Still have the stock UCA. What benefits could I get with changing them?
My car hopped when doing a burnout at the dragstrip until I got the BMR UCA. I started with just the lowers upgrade, but it wasn't enough.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 AM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

so which way are you going to go then?? turbos or the saleen blower? I am suspecting turbos if you are wanting to hit the 1000 hp mark...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 AM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S281 E
Well here we are at the moment everyone has been waiting for. How does the car drive. Absolutely terrible. After spending all of this money and wasting all of this time I can say a blower and turbo setup does not work. Choose one or the other. Not both. I guess you can say some lessons are not learned until you try them out. I will post another review once the car is finished. Should be done by the end of January.
Don't give up yet! Hellion is doing the same style setup with their Hellraiser kit.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PolkThug
Don't give up yet! Hellion is doing the same style setup with their Hellraiser kit.
I've seen this set up in person and it's pretty sick, first thing I thought about when I saw this thread.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 AM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
I've seen this set up in person and it's pretty sick, first thing I thought about when I saw this thread.
is that kit only for 98 to 04 cars?

Quick Reply: When a 2006 S281E is not extreme enough.