Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Mosaleen Idler Pulley ('gloo review!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:09 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

You can do 2 back to back dyno runs and you won't necessarily get the same exact results. Depends on what you take the RPM's up to. The RPM's were about the same.

There wasn't really a "loss of power" because of the pulley...just no gain.

Originally Posted by eviligloo
The claim is that everyone is getting belt slip and that it'll recover boost. I spoke with Scott on the phone and he assured me that the 99-04's have significant slip. Some belts are hitting the upper radiator hose as well. Mine didn't have any dust and was not hitting the hose, but he was confident in his product and told me all about the gains the idler pulley makes.
I decided to buy it because he told me that everyone gains power from it. He also told me that I would at least pick up 1lb of boost across the spectrum.

The other reason I wanted to test it was because I've never seen a dyno sheet that ONLY has that mod (no timing adjustment, no other mods, etc). I wanted to see if the gains were real.

Last edited by eviligloo; 07-31-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added self-quote =)
Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM
mosaleen

Hum, when I did my dynos I dynoed the first time, got the no.s then dynoed after a 15 min. cool down again (without idler system) those no.s were off by18 hp. Its called heat soak. Then changed to the mosaleen idler cool down time 15 min. then redynoed and gained the hp and tq.
Have you driven it on the road since your dyno? Can you feel a difference in power and did you gain any boost. Did your air/Fuel ratio increase. Do you have the stock style grooved S/C pulley ( no slits in it)?
Just trying to figure out what happened, since I have had everyone so happy with the gains.
Did you use 112 inch. belt?
Scott

Last edited by mosaleen; 07-31-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mosaleen
Hum, when I did my dynos I dynoed the first time, got the no.s then dynoed after a 15 min. cool down again (without idler system) those no.s were off by18 hp. Its called heat soak. Then changed to the mosaleen idler cool down time 15 min. then redynoed and gained the hp and tq.
Have you driven it on the road since your dyno? Can you feel a difference in power and did you gain any boost. Did your air/Fuel ratio increase. Do you have the stock style grooved S/C pulley ( no slits in it)?
Just trying to figure out what happened, since I have had everyone so happy with the gains.
Did you use 112 inch. belt?
Scott
To make sure that heat soak wasn't a factor, the first two dyno pulls were with the pulley ON. I installed it a couple of days ago.

I then took the idler pulley off and did the second two runs to compare. If anything, the latter 2 pulls (without the idler) would be even more heat soaked. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and it showed no gain.

See the specs posted in my signature (or in the beginning of the thread). Grooved 6 rib chicane pulley.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

it would seem like the tensioner is adding drag to the system. With a tight enough belt there shouldn't be any slippage. Evil, did you notice any slippage before adding the tensioner to begin with?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
it would seem like the tensioner is adding drag to the system. With a tight enough belt there shouldn't be any slippage. Evil, did you notice any slippage before adding the tensioner to begin with?
I was getting a delay in boost when i would stomp on the accelerator in second gear......so I wondered if it was belt slip. I ordered the mosaleen idler pulley at the same time I ordered a new boost actuator (my shop diagnosed it as probably a result of the actuator going bad). I installed the new boost actuator before going to the dyno. The problem went away.

So I had the idler pulley already and was planning on testing it anyway because of the claims of 30 hp gain for $165 (now $180 something).

Turns out it didn't make the power advertised (or any power at all).

...I wonder if my dyno sheet will get posted on the website!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM
JJ@WMS

Hi everyone, I am the owner of Woodbine Motorsports and do almost all the wrenching and all of the tuning on this vehicle. There were no changes made to the tune at all during this test. Airfuels were the same on each pull and monitored with a wideband.

I have a ton of experience with supercharged applications and specialize in the Lightning and Mustang vehicles, I am also very aware of what an "idler kit" can do to help minimize belt slip, however none of the idler kits that I sell or install have ever made a claim of giving you **HP and **TQ, they simply state that the product will minimize/eliminate belt slip and possibly increase boost. Here is one for you;

The xxxx Motorsports auxiliary idler kit for the Lightning is cleverly engineered to be a simple bolt on and to be the ultimate solution to belt slippage.

The kit consists of a heavy-duty, precision-machined aluminum plate that offers an optimized location for the included black hardcoat-anodized 100mm idler pulley. The plate bolts to existing bolt locations on the vehicle and locates the pulley just to the right of the supercharger pulley, maximizing belt wrap and eliminating slippage. The necessary fasteners are included, as well as illustrated installation instructions. A billet bearing cover for the pulley (not shown) is also included in the kit. This product is an original xxxx Motorsports design that has been copied a number of times, but none of the copies match the quality and precision fit of the original.

If you are experiencing severe belt slip then sure the idler we tested could pick you back up to the boost and power level that you should have. Its a quality product no doubt (not a big fan of the plastic pulley however and I would opt for the steel one) and very well made but selling it based upon the claim of gaining power is not a good idea as we have shown here on a car that is not experiencing belt slip before hand did not make any extra power after installation.

JJ
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Luckily I do not seem to be experiencing any belt slipping...Glad I did not buy one...Did JDM ever comment on the mosaleen idler?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 AM
mosaleen

Hi, im Scott , mosaleen, the 99 to 2004 mosaleen idlers are a totaly different system then the 2005 - 2010's, Call Mark Lamaskin at Performance Auto sport or Joe Chicane at Chicane sport. They both have tested the system for your 06 Saleen and you will have to buy a 1 inch. shorter belt with the system. I am glad Evil tested my system on his 2002 but he didnt tell me if he went to the 112 inch. belt since he had the 112. 5 belt on. His is the first Saleen to report no gain to me in 4 years of selling the 99 to 04's. Everyone has told me they can see the gain at low rpm's to high rpm's in the boost and seat of the pants. His is not the first to test on the dyno, I have one on my site that I just put up.
He is right on that if your belt is not slipping it wouldnt gain so far most are slipping. The claims of 34 rwhp and 43 rwtq were on my personal 2000 S/C Saleen ported Series I with Chicane 66mm S/C pulley and 112 inch. belt, and I did re set the air/fuel ratio because I gained 1 lb of boost it increased so I put it back to where the other dyno was at the first time 11.9 to 1. So the belt was slipping. Evils must have not been slipping, again I thank him on testing it but it has me scratching my head why so many love it and tell me how much they appreciate someone selling this product.
I would be glad to take it back and give his money back.
The no.s to Mark and Joe are on my web site, www.mosaleen.com
Yours is the same as my Saleen S/C 3.20 GT dual fuel pumps. Mine made 54 rwhp and 43 rwtq gain and the dyno is on my web site.
Im telling everyone that if it doesnt gain any hp or tq I will refund your money except the mailing cost.
Scott
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mosaleen
I am glad Evil tested my system on his 2002 but he didnt tell me if he went to the 112 inch. belt since he had the 112. 5 belt on.
The belt was a 112.5 inch the entire time. No change in belt size.

Scott.....I have a couple of questions for my own knowledge:

Why would going to a 1/2 inch belt size have made that much of a difference if it wasn't slipping to begin with? If I did add a 112 inch belt wouldn't the added HP be because of a smaller belt and not because of the tensioner?

I've heard that picking up 1lb of boost is worth roughly 13hp. So if the idler system is supposed to pick up a pound of boost....wouldn't that mean that your car should have only gained that much?

Do you happen to have the dyno sheet from your 2000 car Scott? I'm curious to see what RPM's the added boost came in.

I appreciate your input on this thread. I want people to get the other side of the story as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:05 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Very cool of Scott to offer a parts refund. If you're not having belt slip issues, don't buy this type of product. If you do notice lots of belt dust or jerky boost readings then you may benefit from this.

Quick Reply: Mosaleen Idler Pulley ('gloo review!)