Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

saleen technical question help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:36 AM
SCs197gt
On A Mish

Default saleen technical question help

I know this could be posted in a few different places in this forum but I was hoping you guys can help since you drive this type of vehicle. I've had the saleen sc on my s197 gt for a couple of years now and it just started giving me this problem. When I go WOT it hesitate's quite a bit and sounds like its backfiring out the exhaust. Like a buble buble buble noise. It feels like there is blips in the throttle like its trying to get up and go but just cant. After it goes through this once or twice it seems to pull fine. It's like it need's to "clear its throat" before it performs if that makes sense lol

Ive thought this could be a fuel issue, maybe fuel filter or a problem with the dual fuel pumps or intake issue but not too sure.

Any help would be great, thanks!!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCs197gt
When I go WOT it hesitate's quite a bit and sounds like its backfiring out the exhaust. Like a buble buble buble noise. It feels like there is blips in the throttle like its trying to get up and go but just cant.
When did you last check/change your plugs?

Chris.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Might also be a good time to do the fuel filter and clean the throttle body.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

Perhaps an oil seperator might help.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:07 AM
DisneyRacing

Default WOW, I just recently have had the same problem...

I have a 2006 Saleen Extreme number 91 and not at the low end of the gear range but at the top end of the gears (most noticeably in 3rd and 4th) while accelerating Wide Open Throttle, it hesitates and misses, but only about HALF of the time... other times is seems fine. So reading the posts, suggest plugs? How long should plugs last? I have 8,000 miles on them, and 10,000 on the car (they were originally replaced due to the car running too rich). Okay, so if I have to replace the plugs, do you know if they are just standard Ford Motorcraft or not? Thanks.
--Kinann
800 657 2210
Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DisneyRacing
I have a 2006 Saleen Extreme number 91 and not at the low end of the gear range but at the top end of the gears (most noticeably in 3rd and 4th) while accelerating Wide Open Throttle, it hesitates and misses, but only about HALF of the time...
Big difference between a low RPM miss and a high RPM miss. I'd be really careful, missing at high RPM can indicate things like low fuel, which can lead to lean conditions and detonation. When you say you are WOT in third, did you mean you ran up to redline in second and then shifted - or is this cruising in third/forth, and then flooring it?

Chris.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
SCs197gt
On A Mish

Thanks for all your input. Changed out the plugs yesterday and it seemed to clear up most of the symptoms. To answer your question about what kind of plugs, ford uses autolite HT1's but in your extreme saleen used HT0's and that's what I went with.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:50 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCs197gt
Thanks for all your input. Changed out the plugs yesterday and it seemed to clear up most of the symptoms. To answer your question about what kind of plugs, ford uses autolite HT1's but in your extreme saleen used HT0's and that's what I went with.
Take a good look at your old plugs too - you can tell a lot about the condition of the engine and the state of the tune by "reading" the plugs...

Chris.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM
SCs197gt
On A Mish

Originally Posted by ctann
Take a good look at your old plugs too - you can tell a lot about the condition of the engine and the state of the tune by "reading" the plugs...

Chris.
Thank you

i did see this article before attempting to change them out. From an amature set of eyes everything looked pretty normal on the old plugs, dry, normal burn, and no metal filament.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 AM
SCs197gt
On A Mish

Soo it came back but not as bad, gonna pull the plugs today and double check the gap. Now if it is a bad coil, how do I check indidvidual coils to test if they're bad or do I have to replace them all?? And if it was a coil wouldn't the check engine light come on??

Thanks

Quick Reply: saleen technical question help