Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Fake or "clone" Saleens? Real Saleen Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
If this was aimed at me, Roush made V6 cars. Saleen even kicked out 6 or 7 V6 cars back in the late 90's.
I don't aim I just shoot lol
What I said is what I like to see
I know a guy with an as camaro that he decked out to look like a sixer and makes people mad whenthey try to race him thinking he's a v6 lol
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lokota
I don't aim I just shoot lol
What I said is what I like to see
I know a guy with an as camaro that he decked out to look like a sixer and makes people mad whenthey try to race him thinking he's a v6 lol
Haha, I went the opposite way. I have a V6 and don't hide it. To date, it has set the mark as highest hp/tq supercharged V6 Roush.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

3.8? Have any sound clips?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lokota
3.8? Have any sound clips?
4.2L with the Eaton M1112 (as per sig).
There are a few vids of it floating around Youtube and you can Google pics/info of it.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Actually Chip did make a Roush clone. It was the Magnaflow Mustang on the powerblock. Neither here or there though.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree but if installed properly there is no difference in quailty or performance. Only difference is resale value at the end of the day.

Last edited by black2010; 04-18-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:30 PM
BLKSTAGE3
1st Gear Member

To each his own if it's your car go for it, but being a real Roush stage 3 owner I wouldn't respect you if you had a badged car. Resale value isn't everything it's having respect to the real cars.

Plus I'm also a fan of debadging, I think it's toolish to pretend you have something you don't.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yup, I'm a fan of clones (or whatever you want to call them). I've seen some nice ones that I'd even own. But there is no way you'll sway me to say they are the same at the end of the day. If that were true - and builder didn't matter, then Hyundai and Aston Martin would sell for the same price.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
Its your car and your money so do as you please and dont mind the handful of the same guys who talk $hit. Thats what they do.
Hey, I saw your car at Fabulous Fords. I even posted a picture of it on the Team Shelby website. They didn't seem to mind the clone. I mean, it's a nice car.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...gopid__1142003
Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 AM
psi365

There are a ton of ways of looking at this question. I will start off saying that I hope in some way this makes sense. Due to a lack of sleep some of it may be iffy, but I hope I'm able to make some sort of sense in my view point.

In reality what are companies like Roush, Saleen and even Shelby? In simple terms they are basically all Mustang tuner companies aren't they? They all take a Ford designed car and enhance it with a mix of parts they install don't they? Saleen didn't design the Mustang nor did Roush. Both companies take aftermarket parts to make Mustangs perform better then Ford designed and in some ways have more freedom to tune then the Ford ever did.

Ford has to design Mustangs to try make everyone happy that buys a Mustang. Ford has to make sure Mustangs don't ride to rough for the average person. Ford also has to worry about fuel economy and emissions numbers. Saleen, Roush, and Shelby have more freedom cause the buyers of their cars expect them to ride rough due to better handling. Most owners also expect the car to have lower mpg.

So what's the difference between one of those companies and an individual doing the same mods? Obviously one can back their car up with a warranty and the other can't. Saleen, Roush, and Shelby cars are also all emission tested/rated.

Think of it this way how many companies make a kit Cobra? Of course the real ones will always be worth more. That being said I've seen more then a few clone Cobra's that had some really cool things done to them such as one with a GNX motor in it. The owner never claimed it to be a real Cobra, but in all honesty it is still a pretty cool car no the less.

Another thing is I've seen some real Saleens, and Shebys with some really tasteless things done to them and some with mods done to them above the Saleen/Shelby stuff. Currently I am looking to buy a Saleen S351. So far I have yet to see one for sale that is exactly the way it rolled out of Saleen. Some of them have Saleen options added that were not installed from Saleen (ie the bigger Alcon brakes, different hood, etc). A lot of them seem to have major engine stuff done to them such as stroker motors or added superchargers. So if I buy a S351 that was not originally a supercharged car but start to claim that it was is that sort of the same thing?

When I first started on my car search I found a ultra rare 1990 Saleen SC hatchback. I never got the price on it due to fact that at one time the car had a bad engine fire. All the place basically had was a painted shell of the car with no powertrain at all and it was missing all the rare stuff that made it ultra rare such as the interior. To rebuild it back to stock would be almost impossible. I had thought about resto modding it and stuffing a 351W in it since the original engine was long gone. So is it just as bad to take an original rare car like that and modding it like I would have?

So in my eyes at the end of the day your car is yours. Personalize it anyway you want. Mix and match stuff to the way you want it. If you are proud of the car you made wouldn't you rather claim it be manufactured by you instead of Saleen, Roush, or Shelby?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

Speaking from from someone who actually does own a Saleen. I don't mind seeing clones going around, they want the look and kinda makes me feel better that i spend so much money. When they have a v6 though and try and tell me they have a real Saleen though, that just pisses me off. You bought a pony, just because u add a kit does not mean u bought a Saleen. Other then that, im cool... lol

Quick Reply: Fake or "clone" Saleens? Real Saleen Owners?