4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bad clutch, RMS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 AM
Buck268
1st Gear Member

Default Bad clutch, RMS?

So long story short... A couple years back had a shop do the clutch on my '96 GT, put in a low mileage excellent condition 11in OE clutch. They also did a new trans front cover due to a wasted TOB sleeve. Worked fine for a while. Started noticed dark black and tarry oil leak from the bell housing. Short while later, of course, the clutch started shuddering but not slipping. Drove like that for a year (no choice).

Car is now a recreational driver and its on jackstands for the winter. Trans is out to do the clutch. I'm looking for the source of the leak but just not sure. Entire bell housing was caked in thick black grime, and the clutch, pressure plate and trans side of flywheel are all slick and grimy. No visible red ATF and trans didn't seem to be loosing oil. Back of engine is a bit grimey around where the bellhousing mates as well as along the lower edge of the RMS cover. RMS looks clean and dry, though. Engine side of flywheel is dry and clean.

I don't want to replace a perfectly good RMS and risk causing a leak. I also really don't want to miss the leak and waste another clutch. I can't imagine the front input shaft seal is bad on a new front trans cover... but maybe. I have a billet TOB sleeve but that requires r&r the trans cover. Is it worth it? Any other thoughts? Sure sounds like a RMS leak to me, but like I said that all looks ok except for some decent oil around the outter edges of the RMS cover...
Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

stand the transmission up on tail shaft down, you will need to find some way to support the gear box. Remove the bell housing, being carefull not to remove the input shaft. On the inside of the bell housing you will see there is a small input shaft seal. Inspect the input shaft seal surface and look for any grooves that are worn into it, if it has a groove where the seal rides it will always leak. My guess is the pilot bearing was not changed and the input shaft is slowly wearing away that seal inside the bell or the input shaft is worn at the seal surface. The rear main seal is not that hard to do and it should be done when a new clutch is installed to ensure it is good. The pilot bearing that sits in the rear of the crank shaft should also be changed at this time.