South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV, VA, DE, DC, MD

Friendly Inspection In Travis County

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Default Friendly Inspection In Travis County

Looking for a friendly inspection in or near Austin. Please PM if you have any suggestions.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

If by "friendly", you mean someone who will allow an "illegal" car to pass emissions tests, good luck. A friend of mine runs an inspection and oil change business and with the computer tied in directly to the State computers, he can't do anything like that. I would suppose that there is the possibility of someone doing it off the books for some cash, but the penalties if he is caught might prevent that. If the problem is the rear 02 sensors being turned off, you may be better off getting a tune just for emissions testing or converting back to stock for that.

Frank
Old 12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Is your X pipe catted or uncatted? If it's catted, do what duckbubbles suggested and have the tuner turn on the rear O2 sensor. Since I have cats, one of my tuners, Eric Brooks left the O2 sensor on. Now I just have to make sure that Doug left them on.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

The X is catted and its just the mid section. The car should pass the sniff. They changed the law on Tint. 25% is allowed and just my luck I have 20%.... Texas does a sniff and a Safety inspection.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197winstang
Texas does a sniff and a Safety inspection.
I am in Austin and Texas does the plug into your OBD port and read any problems the computer has stored. If your rear 02 sensors are cut off, it will give a "not ready" indication and will fail the test. '96 and newer use this type of test. When the computer at the inspection shop is plugged in, it is automatically tied into the state's computer with all your vehicle information. It passes or fails and the state knows about it before you do. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, just the way it is.

My friend with the inspection station ran my car as a training exercise and I found that it failed with my Tillman's tune- otherwise stock! I would have had to put the stock airbox and tune back in and run it for a while to pass. The FRPP Whipple I have now is 50 state compliant. Put a blower on and it is legal, put a CAI and tune on and it is illegal. Strange.

Frank

Last edited by duckbubbles; 12-27-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
I am in Austin and Texas does the plug into your OBD port and read any problems the computer has stored. If your rear 02 sensors are cut off, it will give a "not ready" indication and will fail the test. '96 and newer use this type of test. When the computer at the inspection shop is plugged in, it is automatically tied into the state's computer with all your vehicle information. It passes or fails and the state knows about it before you do. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, just the way it is.

My friend with the inspection station ran my car as a training exercise and I found that it failed with my Tillman's tune- otherwise stock! I would have had to put the stock airbox and tune back in and run it for a while to pass. The FRPP Whipple I have now is 50 state compliant. Put a blower on and it is legal, put a CAI and tune on and it is illegal. Strange.

Frank
I am running the brenspeed v3 it is carb 50 state approved. I sent an email to brenspeed and my tuner just to make sure. I would be shocked to learn that they tuned the car to fail inspection. The headers are carb approved as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

All you need is cats (high flow or stock) and an emissions tune. You can pass with all sorts of mods, LT headers, cams, ported heads, stroker, etc as long as your tune is setup for emissions.

Brenspeed, Bama, Tillman, etc can all make emissions tunes. The only thing that stops an emissions tune is an O/R mid pipe.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1 .......
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

friendly places aren't hard to find, just gotta hunt them down and they will turn up. they are out there.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:43 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

I go to school in austin, and when my inspection was up, i went to 5-6 run down, pos places and offered $100 to them all. No-one took it.

I ended up getting my sticker in waco.

Quick Reply: Friendly Inspection In Travis County