Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Need some help with my 5.0 Lincoln Town Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
CitrusSpeed

Default Need some help with my 5.0 Lincoln Town Car

Hey whats up guys? I need a little direction with my 5.0 town car. Basically i got a almost dealership new looking 86 5.0 town car, it was my grandfathers. He passed away on the 11th of december and now its my DD. He had the motor replaced with a 1990-91 5.0 motor, i cant remember the exact year. Mileage is under 100k on the motor. Anyways i wanna build the 5.0 up a little. Im looking to do a nice little bolt on motor, im not looking to make a dragrace town car, just something with a little more get up and go around town. From what i have learned its a speed density car which seems to mean i can do mostly all bolt ons except i have to be careful with cam selection. Correct? Ive read through some informative post but nothing really town car specific. So what kind of set-up do you guys recommend? I have seen the gt40 heads and intake combo for relatively cheap here at the local u-pull it, but i think i may be looking for a little more power than they will produce. What would be a better set of heads without breaking the bank? Also do u recommend swapping in a mustang ecu? Im looking for about 75-100 more hp out of the car so any help u guys could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
CitrusSpeed

take it to the top

Last edited by CitrusSpeed; 01-03-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 PM
CitrusSpeed

take it to the top again, sorry for gettin jumpy, i just wanna get started working on this big beast lol

Last edited by CitrusSpeed; 01-03-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Stock GT40 heads would work well on a heavier car like a Lincoln. SD can be tuned, but yes, you need to be careful with the cam, but again in a heavy car you're not going to want a "big" cam. A custom cam with good bolt-ons and GT40 heads would make it move faster and it would drive better around town.

And you need to give more than 2 days to expect responses. Some people don't come on here very often. Especially not around the holidays.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM
CitrusSpeed

Hey thanks 67stang, yea sorry for getting jumpy im just ready to get to work on this beast lol. So im assuming the gt40 lower/upper intake manifold would be a good choice too? What about a set of headers? Im thinking long tubes might be outta of the question but what about shorties? Equals or unequals?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Good luck finding an actual GT40 tubular intake. Edelbrock's regular Performer EFI would work well for what you want. And LT's will perform better than shorties, but shorties fit a lot easier. Equal vs unequal is really a non-issue. Technically equal should make more peak hp, and unequal will tend to spread the power band out a bit more(on account of each cylinder being tuned to peak at a slightly different rpm). But the reality is you're never going to know the difference between equal or not.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:43 PM
CitrusSpeed

hey thanks for the input. I dont know if ill be able to find the actual tubular intake manifold. I was just talking about the upper and lower from a 97 mountaineer, or exploder. I assume thats different? I have found that setup pretty cheap along with the heads. So you think LT's will actually fit? Im not really sure of the differences between a fox stang engine compartment and my Lincolns but they couldnt be too far off could they? And im guessing shorties shouldnt be a problem at all? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn all i can.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

IF you want LT's look into Doug's Headers, they fit extremely well and don't have ground clearance issues.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM
CitrusSpeed

old but really informative if your a lincoln 5.0 guy...yes i realize this is a MAF car but still most of the parts translate over

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1349590
Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
zoomie

hey mang! i have a an 87 townie and am always looking for ways to make it fast, you wanted to have more oompfh to your ride so ill point in the right direction.the first thing you should consider is an HO conversion
which involves a stock mustang cam or explorer cam both which work well
you ll also need 19 lb injectors and a stang Sd or markvii ecu
upper and lower Ho intake and Tb and egr spacer, or you can mod your current egr spacer and have it bored to 55mm
you can use the explorer 65 tb or even the mustang one with little modification but if you use the explorer one youll nedd a lightining egr spacer

heads as well you can use e7,gt40 and gt40p heads but the p heads require p specific hears, or stock tubular headers from a 90 towncar will work as well with 45 and 90 degree plug wires.
also gearing will help look for a "k" code rear end in box body vics,wagoins and townies it is a 3.55 tracloc
3.55 and 3.73 work well with these cars,handling use stock front shocks and rear use KYB GR2 police shock 79-02 will fit
so heads,cam,ecu,tb and egrspacer,injector,gears
if you want wild heres a nifty combo that im doing to mine,pricey though!!
afr165 heads,compcam XE258 cam,stang ecu,19lb injectors,3.73 gear with tracloc,65mm explorer TB and lightning egr spacer,shorty headers with h pipe,tubular gt40 intake manifold, im kindof doing mine in stages as i get the money buit for now ill be just doing a reqular HO conversin with gt40 heads,gt40 intake and stang TB with a stock HO cam
good luck and happy hunting mang!

Quick Reply: Need some help with my 5.0 Lincoln Town Car