Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Flooding carb..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs down Flooding carb..

So one day about a month and a half ago I noticed fuel leaking out of the accelerator pump body, and the butterflies on the primaries and secondaries where wet. Also the fuel filter was dry, and the oil had a gassy smell. So I proceeded to take it off (the carb), give it a quick tear down, and see whats in need of replacing. I left the whole main body together, but took off the primary and secondary bowls to clean. Took the accelerator pump body off, cleaned the gunk out, replaced the diaphragm, and replaced the little orange umbrella thing. On the secondary side I basically just cleaned it and put new gaskets on when put back together. Soooo after this is said and done I throw it back on, and the saaaaame shight happens!!!!

I'm out of ideas/too dumb and I need ideas on what could cause this pig to flood/leak. Its a holley 600 vacuum secondary. If this needs to be in the carb section please move it on over. Don't know what else to tell ya's.. Thanx for the help/ideas!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Check for a power valve leak. Gasket or torn diaphragm, or it could be stuck.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I was sooo close to just putting the new powervalve in when i took it apart, but left it in the rebuild kit ... As for gaskets, they were right out of the package (new) and I dont see how I could have torn one. The only gaskets I took off/replaced were the ones on the fuel bowls, and accelerator pump gasket.

If the power valve is blown/sticking could this cause the flooding? What diaphragm were you thinking of? The accelerator pump, or the vacuum secondary?? I have no problem with taking the hooker off again, I just need some help tracking this down Thanx 67mustang302 for the hints, let me know what you think, and if anyone else has some advice let me know as well.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The power valve has a spring and diaphragm, as well as a gasket where it screws in. If the gasket or diaphragm are faulty the carb will flood the intake bigtime. If the spring is bad or it's stuck open, then it will flood while cruising or accelerating when not at WOT.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha! I was pushing on the spring, and it was "springing" back. Didn't feel like it had any grit/drag to it (felt like the replacement one), so I just left it.. The fuel seems to leak slowly, but not enough to see drops or a stream. When it sits after running you can put your finger tip on the accelerator pump jet and have some moisture, but no drops. Both secondary and primary butterflies are wet/pooling fuel, and doesn't seem to get worse or better over time. Just a constant wetness...

I hope I made some sense explaining this, like I said earlier I'm out of idea's/too dumb for this enigma lol. I'll pull the pig off, see about replacing the PV, and also see if the PLASTIC floats are cracked/taking on gas. Let me know what you guys think, and thanx for any replies and info 67mustang302/anyone!!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Well, I took the carb off and pulled the PV out. On closer inspection (Simpsons flashback lol..) it looks like the diaphragm IS pooched. Compared to the new one the rubber (diaphragm) is bubbly looking/not flat, and one of the vent things looks burnt/browned...It does spring back and forth though... Both of the floats are exactly 9.3g, so I don't think they are taking on fuel!! Going to throw it back together and hope for the best. Thanx for the hits 67mustang302, I think you've solved my problem!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Well, after a 2 weeks or so I've had some progress, but mostly having the same problem. I took the carb off and put the new PV on and gave it a try. Still leaked, so pulled it off again and checked to see if the needle was being pushed all the way closed by the float. Turns out the "old" needle and seat had to be turned waaaay in to even come close to getting the float to close it.... So I pulled the old needle and seat out and put it next to the new ones in the package, and they are just a hair longer. So threw those in, and adjusted them down so the floats were shutting the fuel off.

Now it doesn't leak into the carb ( accel squirter), but it's still leaking out of the accelerator pump diaphragm gasket, and somewhere on the passenger side off the SOB where the secondary diaphragm is. Also the car will only run for like 5-10 seconds.. I can hold the gas like usual to keep it running, but then it just crokes. It's getting lots of gas (accelerator squirter, fuel filter is full) and spark (all 8 pipes are hot)... If anyone has any idea's let me know. Thanx for the help!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Today I changed the throttle plate gasket, its the only "major" gasket I haven't changed and so far so good. No leakage/accumulating gas on the passenger side, or out of the accelerator pump gasket (crossing fingers ). I'll see what happens over night . It's still not starting/running right. It fires, then starts to choke, or runs on 5-6 cylinders after 10 or so seconds. I just put a new cap and rotor on two days ago, and I replaced plug wires in the summer. I wasn't really thinking about plugs, but could my problem be fouled plugs??? Bad coil?? Let me know what you think, any help is very welcome!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Well, I think I've found what could/will fix my problem!!! A NEW F'ING CARB!!!!!!!!! After alllll I've tried, it does the exact same thing ... SO, here is my next question!

What would you buy/what would work best with my present/future combo???

http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-...46470/10002/-1

OR

http://www.jegs.com/p/Quick-Fuel/Qui...83208/10002/-1

The motor is bone stock, but I'll be doing a H/C/I and 5-speed swap in the next year or so. Nothing crazy, just basic iron ported and polished gt40's, eddy RPM intake, with a cam of some sort.. Let me know what/which would be best for now and for later on. Not looking to spend a tooooo much (income tax isn't much..) but I'd like to get something that performs a bit better/more tunable! I was leaning more towards the Quick Fuel carb, looks like a great bang for the buck! Let me know what ya'll think! Thanx for help!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

get the quick fuel they make great carbs. for stock i would run the 600 but you are doing some work then i would run a 650 tuned down a little.

Quick Reply: Flooding carb..