Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Finally Dynoed the 5.0!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Default RE: Finally Dynoed the 5.0!!!

The letter before the 303 is what designates the Ford Racing cams. B, E, F, X, Z...They're all 303. The X cam is actually a pretty big cam, but that RPM intake is restricting the crap out of how high he needs to rev it. The X needs to rev to about 6200 to get peak power. That and the heads are why you're seeing such low numbers out of that car.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

I thought the 303 cam was a B cam? Anyhoot, I've never seen a Fox make good power while N/A, 302, and on GT40's. Had many a friend sound super pretty with similar setups, but always ran really crappy ET's and dyno'd horrid numbers. Not that the dyno makes a difference, but still. I guess you can't cheap out on the heads setup on those motors.

I do have one buddy with GT40's and some custom grind cam on a decent shot running pretty good ET's. He doesn't make good power, but it's gutted and running a slick tire. It gets the job done fairly well.
the alphabet cams are all 303 as far as i know, b-303, e-303, f-303, x-303...etc. the best i've seen out of GT-40s on a 302 is 28Xrwhp... so yeah that's not so great, but it's not so horrible either for being basically the cheapest aftermarket heads you can get.

EDIT: i see Erik beat me to it [8D]
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

the best i've seen out of GT-40s on a 302 is 28Xrwhp... so yeah that's not so great, but it's not so horrible either for being basically the cheapest aftermarket heads you can get.

Yea, that's kinda what I was getting at. And after reading what I wrote, I realized I had fudged that up. You know how you Foxbody guys are. Whole list of crap that I have no idea what it means. Just tell me it's a big cam with a big shot and we'll call it a day at that. [8D]
Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

I thought the 303 cam was a B cam? Anyhoot, I've never seen a Fox make good power while N/A, 302, and on GT40's. Had many a friend sound super pretty with similar setups, but always ran really crappy ET's and dyno'd horrid numbers. Not that the dyno makes a difference, but still. I guess you can't cheap out on the heads setup on those motors.

I do have one buddy with GT40's and some custom grind cam on a decent shot running pretty good ET's. He doesn't make good power, but it's gutted and running a slick tire. It gets the job done fairly well.
the alphabet cams are all 303 as far as i know, b-303, e-303, f-303, x-303...etc. the best i've seen out of GT-40s on a 302 is 28Xrwhp... so yeah that's not so great, but it's not so horrible either for being basically the cheapest aftermarket heads you can get.

Exactly. I made 244 with a crank driven flex fan (not even a clutch fan) a heavy *** TKO500 and 4.10 gears. I dont have a windage tray, not all my pullies are underdriven (just crank), the engine was not blueprinted, the list goes on...I think 244whp for that setup is right in line. The only REAL MODS that I have are heads/cam. shorties...car HAD those stock (not MAC though...but come on)...X-pipe and cat-back...those are worth what, 10whp? the 1.6 RR's maybe 5whp, the flex fan -5 and the TKO and 4.10's -10 togather. the underdriven crank, maybe +5. I really do NOT see where 244whp is bad for my setup. You guys dont either "oooohhhh, bad #'s" is FAR! from proving them bad. Look at it this way, my heads flow about what 99+ PI heads do and my cam sucks just as bad as theirs do stock(both not optimal) and I make the same whp as a mild bolt-on 4.6L 5-speed does...and it has electric fans to boot. So HOW do you say I am not making ok numbers for my setup.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: stanger88

Exactly. I made 244 with a crank driven flex fan (not even a clutch fan) a heavy *** TKO500 and 4.10 gears. I dont have a windage tray, not all my pullies are underdriven (just crank), the engine was not blueprinted, the list goes on...I think 244whp for that setup is right in line. he only REAL MODS that I have are heads/cam. shorties...car HAD those stock (not MAC though...but come on)...X-pipe and cat-back...those are worth what, 10whp? the 1.6 RR's maybe 5whp, the flex fan -5 and the TKO and 4.10's -10 togather. the underdriven crank, maybe +5. I really do NOT see where 244whp is bad for my setup. You guys dont either "oooohhhh, bad #'s" is FAR! from proving them bad. Look at it this way, my heads flow about what 99+ PI heads do and my cam sucks just as bad as theirs do stock(both not optimal) and I make the same whp as a mild bolt-on 4.6L 5-speed does...and it has electric fans to boot. So HOW do you say I am not making ok numbers for my setup.
we have told you why they're bad. you just said yourself your only real mods are heads and cam... but you combined the cheapest/least flowing heads with a cam that makes no sense. don't get your panties in a bunch when people are trying to help out, geezuz.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:15 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

it might seem like a poor set-up,but i think something else is wrong....when were gt-40's aftermarket?...they were production....weak?....are low 11's at 119mph weak?...n/a motor untouched gt-40's...i had the "x"cam close enough with better dur....it was ok...
Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

please don't start with your technicaly correct mamajamma[8D]... you know what i mean by aftermarket = not stock.

i have no idea if i got that right... you went low 11s @ 119 with stock GT-40s and a cam similar to the X cam ?[&:] if so please list the rest of your mods... i have a hard time with 119mph with a set-up that shouldn't be able to make more than 290rwhp.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

not me somebody else...it's not all about hp buddy...my car the fact hit a 11.91 at 112mph hitting the stock rev limiter about a 100 ft before the end...if you want to know "whom" i'm reffering to.....it was jay allen a couple of weeks ago...

i guess since they are sold from "aftermarket" companies then i guess we are both right....if he bought from dealer you are if bought from junk yard then i'm right........fair?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:50 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

not me somebody else...it's not all about hp buddy...my car the fact hit a 11.91 at 112mph hitting the stock rev limiter about a 100 ft before the end...if you want to know "whom" i'm reffering to.....it was jay allen a couple of weeks ago...

i guess since they are sold from "aftermarket" companies then i guess we are both right....if he bought from dealer you are if bought from junk yard then i'm right........fair?
deal [sm=smiley36.gif]

i know it's not all about hp "buddy" [8D] but what the F ??? this must be one gutted to hell stang.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

not sure i know it has a crazy intake set-up and one of his special cams in it....it is a notch if i'm not mistaken...

Quick Reply: Finally Dynoed the 5.0!!!