Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Me vs 97 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Me vs 97 Cobra

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95

ORIGINAL: SkillzDatKillz

ORIGINAL: Stone629

I need to do a little more research on the AWD Mopars.
Mopar or no car!

*runs and hides in closet*
Meeehhh.... Only if you're talking about a 69 Hemi Cuda, which is still technically mopar..
No such beast man. The 426 Hemi did not come in the Cuda till 70, there were few Super Stock Hemi Barracudas but they were super rare and the technicaly the 'Cuda was not a car untill 70 when they made made the switch from being based on the A-body platform to the new for 1970 E-body. Sorry to nit-pick but I was a Mopar guy in a former life.
Hrrmm.. I guess I'm a year off there too.. sheeshh.. I'm 0-3 with mopar tonight.. lol Still, I thought mopar came out with the 426 Hemi the same year Ford did the 429 side-oilers? I remember seeing what I thought was a hemi cude in NASCAR trim from then.. And it ain't nit-pickin if it's learnin material.. I know a lot of generalities about the old mopar stuff, just not too many specifics.. lol

But if I take it right, they had the cuda's in 69, just not the Hemi trim line right? So, what was the 440 drag pack? That was the challengers? What about the Challenger Daytona's like the one Richard Petty used to drive?
The 426 Hemi came out in '63 (could be 64) as the Race Hemi, then the next year was avalible as the "street Hemi" which was slightly de-tuned.
Hrrm.. so if the 426 Hemi came out in 64 for the track, and was available in the de-tuned version as the street hemi in 65, they just didn't put the hemi in cuda till 70? That's a weird thing for mopar to do.. The hemi as I understand it was mopar's bread & butter during the muscle car era, and the Cuda's along with the Challengers/Chargers were kinda the kings of the road back then, along with the SS Camaros and Shelby mustangs..

Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tspence45

My cousin has troubles getting to 160 in his 96 Cobra with intake, exhaust, bored .20 over, and 4.10's. His speedo's a little off due to his rims and tires though. But, I didn't think that a Cobra with 4.10's could get there. I figured he would top out before getting there.
I have 3.73s and i've hit 140 and shut down. I was at like 5,600rpms I believe. They redline at 6,800 so that's 1,200rpms left. They're supposedly governed at 155mph. Whether or not they are I believe that with 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10s you could hit the full 160 and beyond.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Mopar or no car!

Meeehhh.... Only if you're talking about a 69 Hemi Cuda, which is still technically mopar..
No such beast man. The 426 Hemi did not come in the Cuda till 70, there were few Super Stock Hemi Barracudas but they were super rare and the technicaly the 'Cuda was not a car untill 70 when they made made the switch from being based on the A-body platform to the new for 1970 E-body. Sorry to nit-pick but I was a Mopar guy in a former life.
Hrrmm.. I guess I'm a year off there too.. sheeshh.. I'm 0-3 with mopar tonight.. lol Still, I thought mopar came out with the 426 Hemi the same year Ford did the 429 side-oilers? I remember seeing what I thought was a hemi cude in NASCAR trim from then.. And it ain't nit-pickin if it's learnin material.. I know a lot of generalities about the old mopar stuff, just not too many specifics.. lol

But if I take it right, they had the cuda's in 69, just not the Hemi trim line right? So, what was the 440 drag pack? That was the challengers? What about the Challenger Daytona's like the one Richard Petty used to drive?
The 426 Hemi came out in '63 (could be 64) as the Race Hemi, then the next year was avalible as the "street Hemi" which was slightly de-tuned.
Hrrm.. so if the 426 Hemi came out in 64 for the track, and was available in the de-tuned version as the street hemi in 65, they just didn't put the hemi in cuda till 70? That's a weird thing for mopar to do.. The hemi as I understand it was mopar's bread & butter during the muscle car era, and the Cuda's along with the Challengers/Chargers were kinda the kings of the road back then, along with the SS Camaros and Shelby mustangs..

Back in 63/64/65 most car companies would not put big blocks into thier "small cars" they were put in mid and full size cars. Mopars bread and butter big block was the 383, that is what came standard in most of thier muscle cars after that it was the 440. The Hemi was and still is a rare bird.. However there were some "special" cars. Like the Super Stock Darts and Barracudas. The 'Cuda really was not an offical car untill 1970 when Mopar brought out the E-body platform. 64-69 Barracudas are quite a bit smaller than the 70 and up 'Cudas. I will admit that I could be off on the years that the Hemi was released to the public but not by more than one year.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Mopar or no car!

Back in 63/64/65 most car companies would not put big blocks into thier "small cars" they were put in mid and full size cars. Mopars bread and butter big block was the 383, that is what came standard in most of thier muscle cars after that it was the 440. The Hemi was and still is a rare bird.. However there were some "special" cars. Like the Super Stock Darts and Barracudas. The 'Cuda really was not an offical car untill 1970 when Mopar brought out the E-body platform. 64-69 Barracudas are quite a bit smaller than the 70 and up 'Cudas. I will admit that I could be off on the years that the Hemi was released to the public but not by more than one year.
I agree with you on the numbers bit, as I'm far from a mopar expert.. lol I was just a little surprised that the Hemi wasn't a little more prevalent is all, as it's pretty much the only mopar engine you hear guys talk about aside from the 440's.. Occasionally you see people mention the 383's, though not near as much. I've seen a couple of the old darts, but I don't think I've ever actually seen one of the pre-E-body cudas though.. I hadn't really considered the cuda one of mopars "small" cars, like the dart.. Now I'm gonna have to go find one.. lol
Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Remeber this is back they made real cars and made them big. Mid 69 Super Bee was considered a mid-size...and it was 19.5 feet long.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bacon57

I had a friend that dipped. He would carry a Mountain Dew bottle everywhere as a spit cup until it was full. He spit in that thing all the way to Myrtle Beach one night. When we got there he sat it down on the kitchen counter. Another one of my dumbass friends came stumbling up and snatched that MD bottle up and took at least two good swallows before he realized it wasn't MD. Needless to say, it caused a chain reaction of throwing up.[:'(][:'(]

Ahhhhh, yuck, anyway, commence Charger talk gentlemen.
Thats one of the most disgusting things I have ever heard
A kid at my school has a charger r/t and it doesn't feel fast like a Mustang does but he kept up with a freind of mines 99 GT and did it in grand comfort
By kept up was it a tie race or was the Charger just closely dragging behind?
Mustang won by about 1/2-1 car length, not by much. So I guess he didn't "technicly"(sp) keep up but it was close
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Remeber this is back they made real cars and made them big. Mid 69 Super Bee was considered a mid-size...and it was 19.5 feet long.
lol.. yyeahh.. kind of like the middle 70's continental..There was a Chrysler that was supposedly over 20ft long, though I can't remember if it was the New Yorker or not.. The SuperBee is almost 4 1/2 feet longer than my car just by guestimation.. It could be more. Not exactly my idea of "mid-sized" car..lolKind of ironic considering the first car I can remember riding in was my dad's 69 Cougar, and that thing seemed hhuuugggeeee as I remember it... lol