Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Bottle Heater making nice power bump

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:07 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Bottle Heater making nice power bump

13.7 is pretty stout for a torque monster. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Have you considered shifting into 4th? I know it takes time, but running out 4-500 rpm off the bottle isn't gonna get you anywhere. If you just have to run out of the spray up top like 1-200 rpm that's cool, but it might benefit you to shift to 4th and contiune pulling. Just give it a try one time.

What rpm can you shift?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sarge_13
Did you have to do any modifying for the Zex kit?

@ Sarge_13 - No mod needed everything seems to be common Stang setup.

Original: Stkjock
I was at Island for a rental Thrusday and the traction was for crap! one guy was hazing his tires to the 1/8th on MT full slicks ran 10.4s vs last year there running 9.9x

you need some cooler temps like we did!

@ Stkjock - Yea, but with nitrous you bring your own air - and its cold air too!!
Give me a heads up next time if the rental is open to all!

ORIGINAL:
ZW99GT
Have you considered shifting into 4th? I know it takes time, but running out 4-500 rpm off the bottle isn't gonna get you anywhere. If you just have to run out of the spray up top like 1-200 rpm that's cool, but it might benefit you to shift to 4th and contiune pulling. Just give it a try one time.

What rpm can you shift?

@ ZW99GT - I hear what your saying. I did try it a couple of times my first time out but I slowed down. Maybe with the bottle heater it will work better as my pressure was below optimum, plus I can work on power shifting.
As far as shift points I could try sifting earlier again and also raising the tp window PM. My research showed that 4.0 isn't making any worthwhile power spraying above 5400 but with the stable bottle pressure could be time to experiment some more. I mounted the window switch in my console for just this reason - make it easy to tweak the settings between passes.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluebeastsrt

13.7 is pretty stout for a torque monster. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Thanks, I'll be hunting skittles before you know it - NOT!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

greg weld wheels is workin on a 15" rear wheel.

i have weld xp's 15x9 on mine.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

greg weld wheels is workin on a 15" rear wheel.

i have weld xp's 15x9 on mine.

Cool. I see the xp is not quite a direct fit and are hard to find. Any info on price range fot the new design?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

xp is a direct fit, no modifications required.

no idea on greg wheels for price
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

@ ZW99GT - I hear what your saying. I did try it a couple of times my first time out but I slowed down. Maybe with the bottle heater it will work better as my pressure was below optimum, plus I can work on power shifting.
As far as shift points I could try sifting earlier again and also raising the tp window PM. My research showed that 4.0 isn't making any worthwhile power spraying above 5400 but with the stable bottle pressure could be time to experiment some more. I mounted the window switch in my console for just this reason - make it easy to tweak the settings between passes.
Gotcha. I used to run a 200 shot with one bottle, so I know how you feel about not having any pressure. If you can keep the pressure consistant thorughout the whole run, I guarantee you can pick up some ET and MPH by shifting to 4th(fast) at your normal point (~5400)

Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT
Gotcha. I used to run a 200 shot with one bottle, so I know how you feel about not having any pressure. If you can keep the pressure consistant thorughout the whole run, I guarantee you can pick up some ET and MPH by shifting to 4th(fast) at your normal point (~5400)

Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable theory test out. Even though I haven't been missing gears I'm a little shy about full blown power shifting. I only have the stock shifter so with out the travel stops so I'm worried about bending a fork or something. I know I'm going to need to really bang the gears hard with the way these overhead cam motors rev like crazy, especially with the spray going.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Sarge_13
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jimkaray

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable theory test out. Even though I haven't been missing gears I'm a little shy about full blown power shifting. I only have the stock shifter so with out the travel stops so I'm worried about bending a fork or something. I know I'm going to need to really bang the gears hard with the way these overhead cam motors rev like crazy, especially with the spray going.
Get a Hurst STS or something like it or I will almost guarantee you that you will totally #$*! up shifting into 3rd gear. I know I did on the stock shifter and it caused me to destroy 3rd.

Quick Reply: Bottle Heater making nice power bump