Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

G8 GT and an LS1 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

I agree stall should be first, the guys here are getting about .2 in the 1/8 so thats about .4 in the 1/4.

for a DD 32-3800 should be fine, just get a summit trans/ oil cooler thing like 50 bucks so thats about 400-600 then a tune 300 will get you another .05-.1 so yeah stall is the cheaper route, but if you wann run 11's for like 3k PM JD1969 he only has ~2.5-3k in his and he runs 11.5x's with a 1.5 60ft @116
Old 01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

Too close to call really. The G8 is making more power (362 vs 340-350 IIRC) and probably suffers less parasitic losses with a newer, more efficient trans with more forward gears than the 4-speed 4L60E. But then of course the Camaro weighs a few hundred pounds less. I'm not sure what the gear ratio is for the G8.
Not really sure what the G8 runs at the strip, but my car when stock ran 13.52 @ 105 on a 2.11 60 ft; my wife had a 2001 Z28 with an auto and 2.73s and ran 13.36 @ 105 on a 2.02 60 ft. Then she bought a 2001 Z28 with 3.23s and ran 13.4 @ 104 (2.1 60 ft), but that car was always throwing codes, overheating and burning oil and may have had a slight miss or something. The first one ran great. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Tommy at best they have been seeing 13.4 ~ 13.5 @ 105~106mph.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
Thanks guys. I thought I'd have him by a few cars at least in any race with equal drivers. Good to hear I was thinking right . And Stone, I was/am looking into some stalls, but not sure on a few things. I know some ls1tech guys think a stall should be a first mod but:
-I don't know how much total a stall and oil cooler installed will cost
-I don't know exactly what rpm stall to pick, but I am staying n/a and this is my DD
-I don't know how much of a gain I will I actually get from the stall or if it's worth it, because I know for about $1k(I guess a stall installed would be in that price range or whatever) I could get a lid, ram air kit, K&N filter, ported throttle body, and tune and that alone should net me a few tenths done on a full exhaust car (definitely doing the exhaust, I want sound more than power off the bat).
I'll do more research on the stall and think about out. If it turns out that the average gain is 3-6 tenths on a car, then I probably will do it and work around what intake mods I want to do or just drop a little more money at the same time.
There are a million routes to take. I'll repeat some things that my tuner told me, and some things I experienced for myself. First, don't worry with porting. It's not going to do anything. As far as an intake goes, save yourself some money and just get a lid/filter. Tuner guy says its just as effective. I went with a 2800 stall to start with. It sucked, really. I took it out and put a 3800 rpm stall in. Much, much better. I couldn't even tell the 2800 was in there man. A cooler is a must! Its like 50 bucks and is pretty easy to install. The biggest pain are some pipe clips that are hard to get to. Downside to a stall, or at least from my experience, is that they will burn up a transmission. I went thru 3 transmissions. I dropped 2-3 tenths on street tires (full suspension 1.7 60'). Never did DRs. For gains, Lts are a must for LS1s. To start out with, I would do the full exhaust, lid, and a tune to bring it all together. Think hard about that stall. Don't let anyone push you into getting one. They are hard to do anything with if you don't have a good bit of traction mods done, they overheat the trans, and they hurt your fuel mileage......... but they are very effective!
My 3800 converter ran me right at $700. I installed it myself. You can get them for much cheaper, just depends on what you want.

I still say you and the G8 will be close, with you definitely having the edge. If you run into one that has been tuned, you may need some help.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys. I thought I'd have him by a few cars at least in any race with equal drivers. Good to hear I was thinking right . And Stone, I was/am looking into some stalls, but not sure on a few things. I know some ls1tech guys think a stall should be a first mod but:
-I don't know how much total a stall and oil cooler installed will cost
-I don't know exactly what rpm stall to pick, but I am staying n/a and this is my DD
-I don't know how much of a gain I will I actually get from the stall or if it's worth it, because I know for about $1k(I guess a stall installed would be in that price range or whatever) I could get a lid, ram air kit, K&N filter, ported throttle body, and tune and that alone should net me a few tenths done on a full exhaust car (definitely doing the exhaust, I want sound more than power off the bat).
I'll do more research on the stall and think about out. If it turns out that the average gain is 3-6 tenths on a car, then I probably will do it and work around what intake mods I want to do or just drop a little more money at the same time.

I think you should win but not by 3 cars, more like a car.

I didn't see anyone else saying you will win by 3.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

RagTop-I was just going with the general consensus of me winning it and I consider 2-4 a few cars, and I was guessing 2. Guess I should have said a couple cars?

Stone-Yeah, that was the one main thing I was worried about with the stall is city gas mileage going down like 2mpg and my transmission taking a beating. I think I will look into a stall more down the road if I really try and push my car making it say a low 11/10sec street car. I think off the bat now I am thinking lid/K&N, Fast ram air stock box system, full exhaust, P&P Throttle Body, UDP, and tune. Maybe lca or subframe connectors if I can afford them. I think my plans are going to be bolt-ons/full-exhaust and tune, then suspension and drag radials(when I can afford them), and then heads/cam and maybe intake manifold/bigger tb. Plans for the car aren't set in stone, but I had goals of a low 12sec daily driver for my 4.0 stang, so I guess a low 12/high 11sec daily driver is probably the goal right now for the Z28 and love the fact that it's attainable naturally aspirated .
Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 AM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Do the auto F-Bodies come with adequate tranny cooling? If not, a trans cooler should be at the top of the list like Rebel was saying.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

I hear tranny coolers are only needed with stalls/shift kits because the stock cooling is pretty efficient and I am pretty sure that's the only reason rebel was suggesting the trans cooler. I am pretty sure the stock cooling on the tranny will be fine for just tuned bolt-ons.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

I hear tranny coolers are only needed with stalls/shift kits because the stock cooling is pretty efficient and I am pretty sure that's the only reason rebel was suggesting the trans cooler. I am pretty sure the stock cooling on the tranny will be fine for just tuned bolt-ons.
you would be correct. the extra heat will screw you with a stall, but always remember 1 thing Mod for a later date with a goal of more power.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

RagTop-I was just going with the general consensus of me winning it and I consider 2-4 a few cars, and I was guessing 2. Guess I should have said a couple cars?
Two maybe, I'm thinking one car. They both put up similar 1/4 times in the magazines with the trap going to the Ellis Juan by a mph or two. Obviously we know that an LS1 car at a prepped track can see as low as 12.9's but thats a 6M. I'm not sure what people have run with a stock G8 but I wouldn't be suprised to see low 13's.

Quick Reply: G8 GT and an LS1 Z28