Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

300C SRT8 vs Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:58 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Default 300C SRT8 vs Z28

300C SRT8 - Unknown Mods (I am sure it was stock)
LS1 Z28 - FRA (free ram air mod), 1LE springs

I've been wanting to run an SRT8 since I got the car just to find out how bad I would get killed. (Well according to most SRT8 owners anyways)...

Was on the way home today cruise set at 73 and I saw the 300 sitting behind me and slowly creeping up for several miles. Obviously it had it's cruise set a couple mph more than me so no big deal and I dismissed it as a 3.5L for a while. Several miles after it was finally passing me and I caught the 300C logo on the side and as the rear cleared my view the SRT8 badge on the back. Sweet.

The lady driving continued past and then moved back to the right lane. I moved to the left and pulled up even with her. I waited to see if she would look over so I could give her a thumbs up but she never did so I dropped to third and shot past her then moved back over ahead of another car and set the cruise again.

A few moments later I glanced in the mirror and saw her move into the left lane and come floating up at a good pace. Then she slows up next to me and is smiling like a fool... I glance down and we are sitting at just over 70mph so I slow up a bit to keep a 70mph pace and shift into third... We both glance over at each other and I give her the motion to go. She goes WOT and I hit the gas as soon as I hear it. We run side by side through my third with me slowly creeping a few inches ahead near the top of the gear (maybe pulled 6 inches ahead) then I shift to 4th and she pulls back a couple inches as I shift. I sit through 4th with it dead even until I reach the top of 4th and slowly seem to creep a bit... just as I am getting ready to shift to 5th (almost an assured death from the information Deuuce has presented regarding gearing) she lets off. I don't even think I can declare my self winner here as it was way to close... Her passenger mirror was dead acrossed from me when I looked over the very last time.

Cliff Notes:
Ran a 300C SRT8 with my LS1 Z28 M6
70mph to 130mph - Side by Side
Result - Tie (I pulled a few inches during the run but it was to close to call it a kill IMHO)

Last edited by S8ER01Z; 05-08-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
300C SRT8 - Unknown Mods (I am sure it was stock)
LS1 Z28 - FRA (free ram air mod), 1LE springs

I've been wanting to run an SRT8 since I got the car just to find out how bad I would get killed. (Well according to most SRT8 owners anyways)...

Was on the way home today cruise set at 73 and I saw the 300 sitting behind me and slowly creeping up for several miles. Obviously it had it's cruise set a couple mph more than me so no big deal and I dismissed it as a 3.5L for a while. Several miles after it was finally passing me and I caught the 300C logo on the side and as the rear cleared my view the SRT8 badge on the back. Sweet.

The lady driving continued past and then moved back to the right lane. I moved to the left and pulled up even with her. I waited to see if she would look over so I could give her a thumbs up but she never did so I dropped to third and shot past her then moved back over ahead of another car and set the cruise again.

A few moments later I glanced in the mirror and saw her move into the left lane and come floating up at a good pace. Then she slows up next to me and is smiling like a fool... I glance down and we are sitting at just over 70mph so I slow up a bit to keep a 70mph pace and shift into third... We both glance over at each other and I give her the motion to go. She goes WOT and I hit the gas as soon as I hear it. We run side by side through my third with me slowly creeping a few inches ahead near the top of the gear (maybe pulled 6 inches ahead) then I shift to 4th and she pulls back a couple inches as I shift. I sit through 4th with it dead even until I reach the top of 4th and slowly seem to creep a bit... just as I am getting ready to shift to 5th (almost an assured death from the information Deuuce has presented regarding gearing) she lets off. I don't even think I can declare my self winner here as it was way to close... Her passenger mirror was dead acrossed from me when I looked over the very last time.

Cliff Notes:
Ran a 300C SRT8 with my LS1 Z28 M6
70mph to 130mph - Side by Side
Result - Tie (I pulled a few inches during the run but it was to close to call it a kill IMHO)

Man good run but I'm kinda surpised the race was so close. I thought for sure you would have beat the 300 preety bad....
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Was she hot?

Oh yeah and nice race
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

^^^ What he said.

Results are pretty much what I would have thought, though if I had to pick one, I think I would have picked the SRT-8. They trap a bit higher then LS1's I believe.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Man good run but I'm kinda surpised the race was so close. I thought for sure you would have beat the 300 preety bad....
Nah the SRT8s seem to put up times very close to what LS1 cars have pulled off...I was expecting it to be close but not dead even like it was.

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
^^^ What he said.

Results are pretty much what I would have thought, though if I had to pick one, I think I would have picked the SRT-8. They trap a bit higher then LS1's I believe.
Depends really... the guys who run at atco have gone 109+ with really great weather but my 108.59mph trap stock puts me right in SRT8 range (with some being slower and some being faster) under normal conditions. A local guy who works at the track I race at has a best trap of 107mph in his Charger SRT8. Not sure how much the FRA helps either... Who knows it might give me better results than I would have thought.

Last edited by S8ER01Z; 05-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 AM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Good run man. I still haven't gotten to run an El Es Jaun yet, and I know when I finally do it'll be a damn 10 second one lol
Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Very kool race S8! Those results sound dead on to me, man. SRT8s pull strong up top, as does your LS1. I wonder if the fact that you have an M6 helped you stay even with her?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:24 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

From talking with a guy on another forum the 70mph start is a big dead spot for the SRT8 so I will try to run into one from a slower run and see what the results are. (Ill be able to start 2nd instead of 3rd as well).

Today at Cordova there was a Challenger SRT8 (auto) running and he was running 13.3 @ 107.... I'm fairly confident it's a drivers race and I will win some, lose some against them.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

BUMP: Chase is a race....

I didn't figure this deserved it's own thread but I ran into the SRT8 again today. We were on a 2 lane so we didn't get any side by sides. I pulled up on him...and he pushed it up to a good clip so I passed him. We were on a good long stretch of highway with no cars and once I had passed he pulled up on my bumper. As he was pulling up on me I dropped to 3rd and dropped the pedal, I ran through 3rd and most of 4th before he let off (once again not gaining or losing any ground on me). When we got to town I pulled over to chat with him.

He started laughing and said he didn't realize what was going on until I had passed him and when I took off on him and he wasn't able to pull me he realized I was the same car his wife had raced. His story (from his Wife) matched my account perfectly and we both laughed a bit. He even said he scolded his wife for not disabling the ESP and turning off her A/C.. haha...I think he realized it wasn't her driving to blame. I invited him to the Cordova Rental on Saturday so hopefully he shows and we can get lined up for some fun. He wasn't sure what he would run and after hearing what I ran and some other SRT8 times I was aware of he was pretty pumped. You have to love car enthusiest!!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Cool, that must have been a blast!

Quick Reply: 300C SRT8 vs Z28