Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

6.0L Auto GTO....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Default 6.0L Auto GTO....

I had to follow the guy for a long time to get 'almost' lined up but I did finally get a shot. When I first came up behind him in traffic I noticed the plates '2fast4u' and then he just suddenly nailed the gas. I wasn't about to run him in the middle of town but I got the message that he was game. He moved through traffic pretty quickly and I stayed in view just to make sure I didn't lose him (traffic was too thick for anything stupid). We finally made it to a light but it still wasn't a good lineup. Unfortunately I knew it would have to do or I would have to say forget it because we wouldn't have another chance to lineup. (last stop light on the 4 lane highway).

As we came up to the light there was a car in the right lane, him in the left and me directly behind him. He sounded stone stock and from past experience I had a feeling how things were going to go anyways so I waited. The light turned green and I started to slip the clutch but the guy just sat there... just as I pressed the clutch back in the guy takes off WOT and I tried to pull the clutch out again but was too quick. After spinning more than I was hoping I was down a full car length through first... I shift to 2nd and as I am pulling through 2nd I move over into the open lane next to him. At the top of 2nd I am closing in on him slowly and I am sitting just behind his bumper... I nail 3rd and start my walk. He seemed to shut down as soon as I got even with him and fell back pretty fast. I tried to give him a thumbs up but I am not sure if he saw it or even cared. He continued out the highway and I pulled off to head back to my buddies house. I would have done a 2nd shot from a roll but I knew what was going to happen with a heads up run and figured I would just save the gas at that point.

Good news is the new clutch is here and going in this saturday. Not looking forward to the job but it will be nice to have it in finally.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Good luck with the clutch. The guy sounds like one of those douchbags with a personalized plate that he can't back up.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Nice kill! I'm curious, what kind of bolt ons do you have? I see your hp & tq numbers in your sig, and was curious what it took to achieve that with a LS1.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I'm almost positive he's only running the free ram air mod you can do on the LS1s. He's got one of the more impressive stock LS1s I've ever seen.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Projectquick
I'm almost positive he's only running the free ram air mod you can do on the LS1s. He's got one of the more impressive stock LS1s I've ever seen.

Yeah I just have the free ram air mod (with paper filter still) and 1LE suspension springs.

The dyno is generous per previous discussion...my friends LS2 GTO A4 with a tune made 361rwhp on it and another buddy made 321rwhp with his bone stock 02 Z28 on it. It's a Dyno-mite dyno so not a direct comparison to a dynojet... on a dynojet my numbers would probably be 310~315ish (just a guess..not sure what the actual difference is between them)
Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Okay cool! I always hear the stories of how LS1's pull 300-315 hp stock on your average Dynojet, and wondered how true that was, or if it was mostly bs.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I gotta get to this dyno....I want the most powerful bolt-on 3V!!!!!

Nice kill!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Okay cool! I always hear the stories of how LS1's pull 300-315 hp stock on your average Dynojet, and wondered how true that was, or if it was mostly bs.
This pretty much tells the story from back in the day.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
I gotta get to this dyno....I want the most powerful bolt-on 3V!!!!!

Nice kill!
Is crazy horse still around? MM&FF made 321 from a bone stock Camaro on their dyno. That should be close to you.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
This pretty much tells the story from back in the day.

Those numbers look much more believable! I know the LS1 was underatted, but when guys started claiming 310-315 rwhp, i really started to wonder.

Now, i've also heard that 2001-2002 LS1's dynoed a little higher because of a different intake. Was it really significant, or really just a couple hp?

Quick Reply: 6.0L Auto GTO....