Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Today's quest for 12s got expensive :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Damn that sucks man. Sorry to hear that. Hope you get that all straightened out.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Talked to the seller via PM. This is the deal so far.... he ran the DS for 2 1/2 years after the repair was made, so I highly doubt that was the cause. The breakage happened in a different area of the shaft anyway. Basically, the end of the shaft that attaches the universal separated from the shaft itself.

I was getting strong vibration at high speeds with the stock shaft, the spydershaft amplified it big time, so there's obviously something going on thats causing the vibration. I'm wondering if it was just too much on the aluminum where my stock steel shaft is able to dampen and absorb it better. I don't know if my pinion angle is off or what. The vibration started when I installed my LCAs, so maybe they threw things off. Oh well, this game never has been a cheap one.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Find out that the critical RPM of that shaft is supposed to be, then calculate what the shaft RPM is with 4.10s and your wheels. Let us know....
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that Stone, guess it's time to invest in a drive shaft safety loop... and to update your sig. :-)
Old 04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I've been talking and researching tonight to try to figure this out. The pinion angle is supposed to be at -2. The stock driveshaft can handle a much larger variance without transmitting vibration to the cabin, so when its making a fuss you know you've got issues. As soon as I installed the LCAs, I started getting awful vibration over 100 mph (with the stock DS). I'm thinking the LCAs threw my rear geometry off pretty bad. I should've been on top of it and checked my pinion angle. The aluminum shaft vibrated wayyy worse obviously. Imho, the spydershaft is not at fault here, it just couldn't handle that kind of stress and snapped. I can either get adjustable control arms, or put the stock LCAs back on.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If the vibration started AFTER the LCA's I'd put money on a pinion angle issue. Aluminum shafts have higher critical vibration speeds, so they should vibrate less when everything is ok. But they're weaker than steel and they flex more easily, so a bad joint angle could have been making the thing bend until it broke.

Just spend the money on a new MMC shaft
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If the vibration started AFTER the LCA's I'd put money on a pinion angle issue. Aluminum shafts have higher critical vibration speeds, so they should vibrate less when everything is ok. But they're weaker than steel and they flex more easily, so a bad joint angle could have been making the thing bend until it broke.

Just spend the money on a new MMC shaft
I'm thinking this too, 67. It all started after the LCAs, so it makes perfect sense.

What is critical vibration speed? I have a vague idea, but not really, lol.

About spending the money on a MMC shaft... $360 for the DS, $175 for towing... I'm getting there!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 PM
BKAT
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear your story......you should of just waited to get to the damn track lol......140 on 95 is asking for troublee.....put it this way, it always could of beeen worsee
Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

If I had of just taken it easy and kept it at a reasonable speed, it would still be in one piece. I agree I was asking for trouble running that hard. The road was clear ahead of me as far as traffic is concerned, but that doesn't mean that there's no police lurking around, hiding, etc.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 PM
BKAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
If I had of just taken it easy and kept it at a reasonable speed, it would still be in one piece. I agree I was asking for trouble running that hard. The road was clear ahead of me as far as traffic is concerned, but that doesn't mean that there's no police lurking around, hiding, etc.
That's why we go to the track....to let it rip safely, and legally...... Bet you won't do that again lol..... Glad to hear your OK though

Quick Reply: Today's quest for 12s got expensive :(