Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Sway bar end link quick disconnect, great inexpensive mod!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default Sway bar end link quick disconnect, great inexpensive mod!!

I know most track guys want to be able to disconnect their sway bars at the track without breaking the bank. I have a new system I purchased on the cheap to test out. I plan on doing some track time and I don't want the sway bar hooked up. They sell them for our S197's but, I feel $209 is a rip off. So I did some researches knowing the specs of the one on my 2008 and looked for some alternatives. Below is what I found for a Jeep TJ sway bar that should fit the bill. It has everything needed for a quick disconnect and a bracket to keep everything out of harms way. Our sway bar links are 10.5 inches center to center. These are 11 inches center to center so modifications if any should be a snap. My set is coming Thursday of next week. I'll have some pics posted after that time of the install. I paid $60 + $5 shipping...

This video below will give you an idea of how this works locking the sway bar out of the way. I think this entire system can be installed on our s197 for our track days. Not everything is applicable to our cars in this video but, you get the idea on how to set this up.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Sway bar links came, installing them today. I'll post some pics for those who would like the info. These are going to work out perfect. They are adjustable from 10 - 11 inches and our links are 10 1/2 inches. The upper one that attaches to the shock tower is the one that will be removable. This way at the track its a quick disconnect. These are for a Jeep Wrangler JK, Front Quick Disconnects 2007-2011. Ebay item number 260748983245...

They sell this for our S197's and want over $200 for a set. Jeep has been doing this for years. And these will work perfect for just $60!

Last edited by slickman; 12-07-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's an interesting mod, and I fully understand the benefit to being able to make easy swaps between your street setup and your competition setup.

What I really like about this kit is that you get to completely disconnect the bar and positively lock a bar end out of the way. Sure beats using things like coat hanger wire.

Norm
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Okay, here is a quick video on the install. I'm no TV star or that great at making video's so, no flaming. lol

Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It's an interesting mod, and I fully understand the benefit to being able to make easy swaps between your street setup and your competition setup.

What I really like about this kit is that you get to completely disconnect the bar and positively lock a bar end out of the way. Sure beats using things like coat hanger wire.

Norm

Yeah, I was looking at the ones made for the S197's but, I just could not see spending $208. So, I took some measurements off the mustang and started my quest. The find was great and I can't be more happy with the way it turned out. Now I'm doing some caliper grinding and wheels spacers to fit my 15 inch skinnies, ;-)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Why do u not want to have sway bars for the track. Is it bc of the added weight
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Why do u not want to have sway bars for the track. Is it bc of the added weight
Its so you can disconnect them at the track. My car is also a street car and I want the option.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
Its so you can disconnect them at the track. My car is also a street car and I want the option.
Yea but why do u want that option. I know it's probably a dumb question but I have never heard that.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have been searching as to why u would want to disconnect them but have not found an answer
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I have been searching as to why u would want to disconnect them but have not found an answer
If you have to ask that question, then your not a drag strip guy. Not having them connected at the strip increases your weight transfer off the line.

Quick Reply: Sway bar end link quick disconnect, great inexpensive mod!!