Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Tips and advice for a newb!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Default Tips and advice for a newb!

Hey guys, I'm 19 and I just got my 05 GT about 2 weeks ago, and I'm loving it! It's the first fast car I've owned (everything else has been Jeeps) & I'm looking to get it to the strip to see some action! I'm trying to learn how to launch better, and any tips for banging out the fastest time on the 5 speed. The car is bone stock besides the summer tires (Nitto 255's in 295's out back and 255's up front) I'm just looking to get some good experience, and some base runs in so I have times to shoot for when I start modding. I've played around with burnouts, and launches, but I always seem to either bog a little, or spin too much, but that's on normal pavement, what's the best technique? I haven't driven manual in like 3 years but I have raced motocross my whole life til this year, so I know how to work a clutch for power but I just can't seem to get my launches as hard as I want them, maybe it's the taller tires in the rear? Should I try slipping the clutch more? Also when I'm at the track do I just want to bang the gear and pop the clutch as hard as I can when I shift or is there a sweet spot for it? Sorry for being a total newb but I'm a fast learner and I plan to get out to the track in 2-3 weeks! Any other track related advice is appreciated btw my track is at a super high elevation (4250 ft) any altitude specific advice? I've been told I'll run a second slower at my elevation at least. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the new wheels!

Don't try to launch all that hard to start with. Start off by going around the water box. Back up close to it, get the rpm up and do a solid burnout just to pick up some VHT. Roll on up to the starting line. Do NOT worry about reaction time as it does NOT affect your ET. Wait for the green light. Forget the guy in the other lane, you're not racing him. Once that light turns green, bring your rpm on up to 3, 4, or 5k, whatever you feel like is sufficient, then slip the clutch just like you do on your bike. It's the same concept. If you blow the tires off, then restage and back off some. You'll get it man, just keep practicing. Try different things, but stay out of the water and avoid dumping the clutch. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:02 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Thanks! is there a good tire pressure to run summer tires at for the strip?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I'd leave the tire pressure where it's at. You're not going to be able to do but so much on them anyway.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

The only good thing is you won't have the traction problems you would at lower elevations... stone pretty much nailed it. I leave my pressure alone and slip the clutch... my 60fts are usually 2.0-2.1 on a 245 width all season tire. The wife has pulled some 1.9s but she is far more aggressive with the clutch slip than I am.

Here is some good reading as well... some of it applies and it has helped me.
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Launch_Tips.html
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Slipping the clutch is good. UPR Products suspension will help too, a lot.

My 3V with common bolt-ons dead hooks on the street with UPR Products suspension and 275/40-18 NT05s.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Slipping the clutch is good. UPR Products suspension will help too, a lot.

My 3V with common bolt-ons dead hooks on the street with UPR Products suspension and 275/40-18 NT05s.
Do your lca relocation brackets work at stock ride height or do I need to be lowered?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
Do your lca relocation brackets work at stock ride height or do I need to be lowered?
They do work at stock ride height, although interestingly enough, I haven't installed them on my car yet. Hooking hard without them.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

What would you recommend?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I practiced some launches tonight, my app told me my last 3 were all 5.1's, and they all felt perfect! I did a little 3 second burn out before each, which totally helped me hook (cleaned off the tires good) and I actually followed the tips in the article S8ER01Z posted, holding the throttle consistant while letting the clutch fully out, then feathering it slightly as I hammered on to it worked beautifully. I also was much more aggressive with my 1st to second shifts than before. overall I netted a little over a second off what I was running before, and this app seems pretty good(CT speedometer pro). My friend with his v6 was running consistent 6.9's which matches the reported stock times. Here's a screen shot of the app for fun! Name:  Screenshot_2013-07-25-01-16-36.png
Views: 27
Size:  318.4 KB

Quick Reply: Tips and advice for a newb!